Ricketts

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Bob Morocco, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Oh this is going to get good

2. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have an English friend who says there is an american named Michael Ricketts or something ricketts. He thought he was in the Blackburn system but was not sure of it. anyone have any info on any of this?

3. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    The post order switching bug is funny, becuase it makes it look like Bob Morocco started a thread called "Ricketts" just to say "Oh this is going to get good."

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I can't believe Bruce hasn't capped this guy yet.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if he's from England, he's definitely going to be better than any of the current guys in our pool.

Cap Ricketts! Fire Bruce!

6. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Doesn't his parents have a US citizenship? Can he not joing the Nats this way?

I mean, what is Brucing doing and not giving him a callup? Geez....Richie Williams gets called up but this kid doesn't?

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    anyone else confused?

9. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    No. It's actually very funny.

First, someone started a thread talking about Michael Ricketts, a former British flash in the pan (please don't flame me if he's done anything recently...I don't even know), who has ancestry in Jamaica or somewhere in the Carribbean but has relatives in the US. Many people a few years ago were saying we should cap this guy--fueled in part by the fact he claimed as I recall that one of his parents was American or something. In any case, the guy isn't American, and in any case probably will never be good enough to be considered for our NT anyway.

The humor was that an unsuspecting new poster brought up one of the classic BigSoccer YanksAbroad forum blasts from the past, but that due to a bug the first thing we read was that it will be interesting--insinuating that people would come on and wax poetic about how he wasn't a citizen, etc.

I don't even know where the guy is now. But believe me, it was once the #1 theme on this forum that we should find a way to cap this guy.

10. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    I'm quite sure I've seen the guy play in a friendly for England against Holland in Amsterdam. Never heard of him again.

11. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, I love reading old schooler BS posters. PG, I need to start talking to you more often.

12. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awww, you ruined the fun. Oh well.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26890&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Michael+Ricketts

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34978&page=2&pp=15&highlight=Michael+Ricketts

I think most of the good ones were lost in the Great Crash of '02.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Gotta rep the old school 'spect.

14. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001
    When he first hit it big a couple of years ago, you could set your watch on the fact that every weekend someone was going to start thread inquiring about the guy and scheming how we could steal him from England to play for the Nats. Just when it was finally explained that he wasn't eligible to play for the Nats, a new post would pop up, and the cycle continued for about a full season.

15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Agreed. The endless Sir Lancealot spamming was the best though. Did Huss get too busy and forget about us btw? Cause I know some people have simply been putting links without any content??? Not that I care mind you, but that was why our only soccer reporter in the early 00's got a bloody yellow card... For you new people, it was quite embarassing.

16. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    The Great Crash of '02 - I like that... I guess my being here before then makes me an old timer...

I'd almost forgotten the Ricketts threads...
    Michael himself fueled the fire by claiming he wanted to play for the USA.

Ah the good old days.......

[sidenote- count me among those that think the "previous post" snafu could make this a classic thread due to post order"]

17. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THe 02 crash brings back very painful memories. Imagine my frustration trying to log on (for the 1,304th time in a row) and not being able to get my fix for what seemed like several months (though it was only a week I think). Please don't mention the crash again. It makes me jumpy just thinking about it (sad but true).

18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Wow! I thought that she was converting to Mormonism, moving to Salt Lake to harrass the RSL players and practice polygamy. :D

19. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    He's with the Mighty Leeds United right now for anyone who wants to know.

[​IMG]

He sure stinks though.

20. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the #1 sign you spend too much time on Big Soccer is...
    you reply to a post before it was even made :)

21. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's right and that bastard left me high and dry at the alter.

22. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Who ate all the pies?"

I mean seriously. He's always been a big boy, but...

23. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I heard youse guys had 5 kids by now <<;)>>

24. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Some love coming your way, bro.

This board was going on for a while before I got here. But I read a lot more than I post and I have well over 1000 posts.

Sorry for ruining the fun, but I'm growing sober in my old age :( Maybe we should have a YA nostalgia thread, nancy (reminisce about our favorite YA's of yore: Ricketts, Stern John--got play back in the day for some reason, Dontavious Fleming, Jordan Older, Melchior Arnold, Paul Rachubka, Stefani Miglioranzi--though he's apparently still out ther, etc.)

25. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And those 5 kids will make the most daunting midfield in a 3-5-2 formation you could ever imagine.