Rick Davis remix

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by AndyMead, Nov 14, 2003.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So I'm watching the re-air of SJ/LA from last weekend. It was bad enough that I had to listen to Joe Tutino and Rick Davis's radio call of the game last weekend.

Now I'm being subjected to Max Bretos and Ricky Davis calling the taped game for FSW.

The only thing worse than listening to a Ricky Davis call of a game is listening to two completely different Ricky Davis calls.

Oh the humanity.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, that does sound pretty excruciating.

Still looking forward to the tape sometime around midnight tonight!!!

3. DouginSJ

DouginSJ New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    San Jose, CA USA
    I'm taping the game, so I haven't heard the insipidness of the announcers yet... At least this time around they know what the outcome will be and maybe (just maybe) Bretos and Davis will keep their usual homeristic L.A. worship to a stomachable level...

...but probably not.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some genius is going to mix the two audio tracks together so that Ricky Davis is calling the game with himself.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I ended up turning the game off. I just could take it, and I had too much other stuff to do and sit and watch the game with the audio off.

Sigh.

Anyone that takes Jeremy's suggestion and tries to implement it should be executed immediately.

6. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree that was stupid. FSW producers probably think we are really stupid or something.

7. Crazy_Quakes_Fan

Crazy_Quakes_Fan New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    San Mateo, CA
    I'm just thankful they re-aired it. Anyway, I kept laughing over how Davis and Bretos tried to make their calls totally ironic in the context of San Jose's remarkable comeback victory ("oh, LA is just minutes away from a monumental victory"...etc.)

8. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I missed that. You would have been better off with the Spanish, even if you don't understand Spanish.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, definitely didn't have the excitement of the original. Glad I kept the original tape.

10. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Still hats off to FSW and MLS for re-airing the game.

11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    i was glad they re-aired, since I never saw the original game. I hadn't checked the boards so I didn't know this is what happened.

But while I'm watching the game, I did notice it seemed both Max and Rick were almost being overly melodramatic and trying to sound a little prophetic. I couldn't place it.....and then it hit me.

It's just like Harkes on MLS wrap, when he already knows who scored, and they show the rosters for the given game highlight segment, and he highlights one of the scorer's name as "one to watch" making it seem like he is psychic and such a good judge of who will have an impact.

Oh well, painful......but very glad I got to see it.

12. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least now I know not to recommend the Santa Clara University scool of broadcasting.

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed watching the game because I hadn't read anything more than the final score. Ricky Davis is dreadful, though. Examples:

"No 'hire' (sic) apparent for Cienfeugos on LA."

"Moreno may get to go home to play Velenzuela (sic) in qualifying."

Honestly, how do barely literate people get jobs as announcers?