Richard “Richie” Ledezma at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 7, 2018.

1. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    I'd like to see that. He could be a better version LDLT IMO, has a better final ball, higher soccer IQ, and is more technical. At this point in the game though, I have serious doubts that he would be called in. He needed to get integrated with the first team second half of the season and get consistent minutes for him to be an option. Hopefully he makes his presence known next cycle.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm simply making a prediction about a player's trajectory and potential limitations. Nothing I said displays a lack of patience or writing him off. I'll still watch with interest. This isn't a Sargent situation where we saw 2-3 professional seasons of stagnation and limitations.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey!!!

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
  5. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    #1630 Dough Boy, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022

6. ReynaRanger

ReynaRanger Member

Fulham
    United States
    May 23, 2021
    You want Gregg to call him in part because, regardless of what he can bring to the team, he could really benefit from an additional few weeks of intense training + game time. I won't pretend to be a Ledezma expert, but the clips made him look like a talented player lacking a wee bit of sharpness (understandable given his injury). Would also be good to see how he holds up out of the Eredivisie and against, say, Uruguay.

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t be against calling him but we already have so many people to call and not enough spots. We’re not going to be able to have a 30+ person camp unfortunately.

Ray Shoesmith repped this.
  8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Along with Gomez, I think you have to prioritize Ledezma. He's one of a handful who could be on the verge of really breaking out. There is a case for Mendez, but it's not nearly as strong.

Eighteen Alpha and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ledezma has more potential than Mendez. Richie, easily could scored 2 goals, last game.

twoolley, Ray Shoesmith and don Lamb repped this.
  10. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I think we will see Richie. Been in our camps, had a lot of support from us, plays a bit differently than others we have. Isn’t from Souther Cal which at this point looks to be all Mexico.
    I’d call Gomez also do to position.
    Mendez. Happy he is playing. Happy he hasn’t faded into oblivion. Don’t see much upside in him. He is what he is. Don’t care.
    Anyway…..wonderful to see kid back. Watched the match when he got injured. Just brutal. Go Ritchie.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yeah, it’s not even close quite honestly.

Now that Mexico has decided to try and cap every and any US born player, and play the part of sleazy college football recruiter, we have to really pick and choose. We need to put a few more resources into recruiting dual Mex/S Nats, but we can’t ignore all else. Have to be strategic.
    We just don’t have the resources, cultural cache, and parental/societal pressure, as well as under the table hand outs the Mex Fed has (anyone who does not think that is happening has no clue how business works down there.).
    Richie and Gomez yes. Mendez. Eh.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yup. We also don’t hold 5000 camps a year like Mexico does, nor anyone else TBH. Strategy wise, as I have stated in my previous pots, a few exceptions will have tobe made.

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ledezma is someone with an unusually high ceiling, which is why PSV instead of, say, Utrecht took him from Real Salt Lake.

He may not live up to expectations, but if he does the U.S. will have a top player for a Top Third side in a Big 5 side. If he doesn't, he'll either spend most of his career with PSV - which is still good for almost anyone's MNT - or have a decent but unspectacular career in MLS or Europe's middle class leagues, in which case all the US programme has lost is not calling up someone with a lower ceiling today who is 50-50 likely to accept the next callup if it comes.

Either way, cap-tying Ledezma is a low-risk, high-reward move. As long as he fully commits, it's a no-brainer.

14. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Gotze is leaving to Benfica

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update.

eliwood repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No idea if there's any reality to it, but I saw some Dutchies on twitter chatting about Ledezma to NEC? I didn't dig too deep, and seemed mostly fan jabbering, but I'll post it like it's true anyway.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    On loan or a sale?

Surely a loan I know, but . . .

18. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    His departure would create a hole of 4,150 attack midfield minutes to be replaced

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Didn't even dig that far. I'll go back and see if it got any traction. There were no "official" things linked that I saw, but they were real NEC fans. Probably wishful thinking, but let me see if there's been any more action.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    This is the most "official" thing I could find in a quick scan. "Hopes" seems to be the operative word.

(Basically hopes for loan with purchase option. No idea if PSV is entertaining such a thing.) @The Irish Rover

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    If PSV let him go on any kind of a loan, option to buy or not, that would mean that they don't see a future for him at their level and have decided that "project Ledezma" is something for someone else to undertake. They'd only do that if they felt that, while they gave him a 2.5 years extension at Xmas to protect their investment, his physical and/or footballing progress over the last 6 months has not met the target(s).

Given the injury he's been coming back from, it'd be a strange decision. Unless there's been something from serious PSV watchers to the effect that they've written him off, I'd be inclined to ignore this one

22. If Rik Elfrink doesnot mention anything you can ignore it. He most of the times gets the scoops first.
    Rik Elfrink
    @RikElfrinkEindhoven, NederlandFollowers: 75Ked.nl/psv

Pl@ymaker and butters59 repped this.
  23. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I guess that’s a bit disappointing but not terribly surprising. Was thinking PSV were being very careful with him at the end of the season giving him limited minutes with a fuller integration by the start of this next season.

At the same time, he has been injured for quite a long time and unfortunately lost a lot of development time.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think a straight loan means he's out of the picture. It means he needs competitive minutes but there's not room for him in PSV's first XI.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, and again, this is pretty much thinnest level rumor at this point. I've not seen much else out there.

I'll post if anything new pops up.

Pl@ymaker repped this.