Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Yes, but only if they play for the USMNT. :p

majspike and The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They see him in training.

always funny how the totally unbiased yanks abroad crowd knows best how to run a club and develop players for profit which just so happens to coincide with the emotional knee jerk reaction of the moment in favor of a particular American player they view as under siege.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Considering the guy still getting molded is 21 and the guy running the front line is 33, and still in the running for winning the scoring trophy, I understand why he is not getting a bunch of minutes. But he has assessed himself very well this season. If he has 12 more years of growth in his position like the present forward has, it is all worth it. Patience.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the fact this race could be officially over with around 3 games left, at which point the club would benefit from giving Pepi a few game audition to see how ready he is to take the reins next season?

Then, as a high-level selling club, they could transfer De Jong for whatever they could get for him coming off a productive season (I know he's old, but he's been big club depth before), and set Pepi up to make them 50m in the near future, while acquiring the next in line. This is what sustains them as a club in a non-premium league who can still be competitive with the top teams in inter-league play. How does the goal of a scoring title dovetail with their near future goals to compete and make $?

Sadly, this controversy came around the worst time, because they may have thought it worked from a cost-benefit standpoint to give Pepi the starts nearly the rest of the way.

The issue about starting in the past aside, they could or should have played him around double the minutes they have coming off the bench this season, based on production, and the # of minutes the incumbent logged. That's a reasonable gripe, though it shouldn't have been public as a potential distraction. I'm pretty confident they'll make amends. It makes too much cents not too.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My only point here is almost no team sits their captain/top scorer when he's in the running for the scoring title unless he's not fit, the physios say he needs to, or he asks to.

It has nothing to do with Pepi, it's just the way the world works. If LdJ tells Bosz/PSV management "I feel great and I really want to win the scoring title" it's worse for Pepi that they are running away with the title. There's just no good argument to sitting LdJ.

I'm not saying it's good, or fair, or even smart - just that, in my experience, that's the way the world works. And if I were PSV/Bosz I would not force LdJ to sit unless there was a very compelling fitness or other issue. I don't like it either, but imho that's how it's going to go. Hopefully LdJ scores 10 goals next game and/or gets the flu.

majspike, russ, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I wouldn't call it sitting so much as periodic resting, and sub off's. Pepi not only didn't get much in the way of starts (lol, 1, I believe) but even the sub minutes were on the low side, when he subbed on, it was often very late. Wouldn't you want to manage LDJ's minutes anyway due to age? Give him 30 minutes rest in a game beyond doubt instead of 10 or 15? Give him 5-8 starts off, instead of 1 or whatever it was?

That's my issue, it's not that I want something forced, its that I want logic. Dude is old, Pepi is the guy they either will hand the reigns too, or decide isnt up to it, and by not managing old dude's minutes during this epic season, they risked his health, and the forward trajectory of Pepi to boot, and it cost next to nothing to manage the minutes more smartly. It's bizarre, at least to me, that LDJ didn't give 5x as many games worth of rest as he got, and Pepi didn't get several hundred more sub mins than he got. It's ridiculous. It's not that I'm arguing, sit the stud right now, it's that we're saying, spread the minutes more sanely? And they did not, and at great risk to the club regardless. They may not have paid a price for it this year, but running those risk is just stupid. eventually you get found out, like I did, just taking a 2 mile drive in the snow back in january in conditions I didn't bat an eye at after 20 years of driving in blizzards in the sierra nevada, and in the process, I crashed. Eventually, being this silly with minutes, is gonna cost you, they're just lucky it didn't, not smart.

TimB4Last and ChicagoVT repped this.
  7. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017

Reportedly not expected to be with the squad tomorrow. Unclear from the translation of the tweet if this is due to injury.

Winoman, The Irish Rover and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Pepi is injured:
    "Saturday comes too early for Saibari and Pepi due to injuries" https://www.nu.nl/voetbal/6308829/p...erugkeer-lozano-en-leeft-mee-met-vitesse.html

From another article:
    For example, Ismael Saibari and Ricardo Pepi still train individually due to a previous injury they suffered.

9. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Thanks! I kinda assumed it was injury related because of the rest of the tweet, I just couldn't find other English sources to back that up

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have not seen any specifics on the injury (tho tbf I haven't looked very hard.) from the quotes that he's training individually and this weekend "comes too soon" it sounds like he's expected back fairly soon.

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sounds like a knock more than even a strain picked up in training.

Pretty routine

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must be some sort of injury that prevents you from keeping your (agent’s) mouth shut.

russ, majspike, Jazzy Altidore and 2 others repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His shooting foot was sacrificed?

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #3640 freisland, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    LdJ gets 2 goals + 1 A in today's 6-0 rout of Vitesse. Luuk went 90 and is now 1 goal behind for the Ered scoring title and well in front as the Ered assist and G+A leader.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he’s still on the team

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the lack of time seems to be hurting his performance. He was scoring quite a bunch off the bench but not recently.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Pepi came on at 78 mins for Bakayoko in today's route of the not-so-pride-of-the-north 'veen. (pour one out for my in-laws.) LdJ stayed on, and grabbed an assist to Patrick van Aancient in what could just have easily been just two guys on an over-30 team... (LdJ also got a goal and the assist to Tillman)

(I'm now considering pitching, instead of U23 games, an over-30 CL where each league fields it's best over-30 team, because there aren't enough soccer games as it is.)

I did not watch the 8-0 drubbing, but I'm sure there is 80 minutes of highlights on line someplace.

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3645 ChrisSSBB, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    With yesterday’s sub appearance, Pepi broke the magical 400 minute barrier for league play with PSV.
    You might think it wouldn't be difficult to get minutes on a club with a +86 goal differential over the season but clearly not the case. I guess you can chalk this season up to "apprenticeship".

ChicagoVT and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, it's a enigma wrapped inside a mystery...

upload_2024-4-26_6-51-54.png

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Luuk has already scored five more goals in this season in the Eredivisie than he did in five seasons in Spain, Germany and England.

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not sure Pepi missed much in league play. Some of the competition was shocking.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is just a shame Pepi is not seen as a more effective wide attacker or that Bosz doesn't play a 4-4-2 more often.

I know we don't want it to be true, but LdJ wants to win all the scoring/player of the year accolades he can muster and Bosz/PSV are happy to let him... and who can blame him/them?

23. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    WE can!!

ChicagoVT, majspike, Roblar and 5 others repped this.