Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Gregg has to be happy with the form of his CFs, except for Balogun. And if he has continued faith in Balogun, he's got some interesting choices to make ahead of the Copa. I suspect that until Haji shows up well for the USMNT, he may be the odd man out regardless of club performance.

2. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    A catch-22 for Wright, and even worse. Can't get a chance for USMNT without good club performances, but even good club performances might not get him a chance.

dspence2311 repped this.
  3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he got to play at the World Cup.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At least he got to score in a World Cup. Something Sarge has yet to do.

Gorky repped this.
  5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can join such USMNT luminaries as Julian Green.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I see him getting chances, like many players, when someone is hurt. Gregg brought Wright to the WC so he sees something there.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As he should. Over the last 3 seasons he's scored at at a rate of a goal every other game in Turkey at CF and a goal or an assist in every other Championship game as an LM.

Who else in s scoring at that rate? Apart from Pepi, which forward is playing at a higher level than Haji?

Only Pefok, but he's in-and-out of the starting lineup and has always been really streaky.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Jesus Ferrera has been scoring at that rate, also in a lower league.

theboogeyman repped this.
  9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higher level of play or higher level of competition? I guess both are up for debate.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pefok and Balogun are flopping at a high level, Pepi is doing good in his sub-role at a medium-high level, and Ferreira, Sarge and Haji are looking good at a medium-low level that is probably not high enough to say whether they'll be useful at all in the international game.

As I explained in another thread, we don't have international quality strikers --that is strikers who score consistently against non-minnows in games that matter.

usnroach repped this.
  11. McKenniesWeah

McKenniesWeah Member

New England
    United States
    Feb 12, 2024
    Agreed on Balogun and Pepi. I wouldn’t say Pefok is flopping; 4 goals and 2 assists in 15 games is decent. I also wonder if he’ll only do well under Seoane. If Sarge can stay healthy and in form I expect he’ll get another opportunity at a higher level.

Anyways, enough on the other guys. I’m rooting for PSV to do well tomorrow with or without Pepi on the field. If they can somehow advance past Dortmund, then Pepi should see more starts/longer sub minutes.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pefok is out of the question for Gregg.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wright is having a great career and will probably reach half a decade of scoring at a good clip.

Sarge has found his scoring boots these last two seasons in the Championship.

Balogun is struggling.

And I don't care what anybody says Pepi is going to need more than 500 minutes to be STARTING for the national team. Don't care how good his goals per minute are.

I'd leave Balogun off but that might rustle feathers so Wright is the easiest exclusion.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balgun is undroppable.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Balogun and Sargent fit the Gregg mold best because they have secondary roles.

Not ideal, but it depends on Pulisic and Weah being actual threats.

16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Featured with Dest and Tillman in the Athletic interview, bonding with Tillman especially.

"The duo, who are tied on five league goals each, have featured in PSV’s Champions League campaign too, with Pepi scoring the header that secured a 3-2 away win against Spain’s Sevilla in November, and with it progress into the knockout stage.

“I was pleased for him because normally this guy can’t head a ball, man,” laughs Tillman.

Pepi pretends to be offended, before they both laugh.

“It was a dream come true,” he says. “I remember leaving school to watch these games (in the Champions League, which kick off during weekday afternoons in the States because of the time difference to Europe) as a kid, so to actually score in one was indescribable. It was more about scoring in such an important game that we had to win.

“I’ve watched it back. It’s a thing where, in the moment, you don’t really focus on it because you’ve got so much adrenaline, but it hits later.”

https://theathletic.com/5281316/2024/02/20/psv-dest-tillman-pepi-interview/

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Pepi living the moto: hate Germany, not the German...

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepi came in for the last 20 minutes or so, and oddly at wing. Was their 1st sub, out of position, over Mauro Jr. So that's telling of some growing trust, at least after some attrition for them.

Here are my performance thoughts:

Rico actually did a nice job with some classic, basic winger stuff. Squared up his man and combined. Tracked back when needed, most times, to intercept or deter. Pressured into TO's higher up. Picked up good spots in the half space. Teammates just didn't find him or it was a bit off. But solid cameo.

Could have been a hero, again. Here's the Yank-on-Yank crime to prevent the chance.

19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Dest and Bakayoko, were guilty of shooting when they should've passed the ball to either Pepi or de Jong.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Header of the Ball" is one of my favorite Angle phrases. So deliciously awkward, much like the spelling of awkward...

LouisianaViking07/09 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  21. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. It could be argued that Bakayoko could have done this twice. He attempted to volley a difficult ball in the box when a relatively simple knock down could have given Tillman a clear shot on goal. PSV are likely to look back on this game as the one that got away. So bad in front of goal given the number of chances created...

Tillman earned some rep for drawing the PK and giving a pretty great effort on the press... but he just seems to have these games now and then (for club and country) where his touch lets him down. He was also guilty of holding onto the ball too long on a few occasions.... and man o man.... gotta put that first half shot on frame. I really like Tillman... so don't think I am totally ragging on him because he is providing value added even when he isn't having his best game technically... and that is what I saw last night.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tillman got the karma retribution for making fun of Pepi's heading and then missed an easy one in the game. He also had two other good scoring chances he missed but did draw the penalty. I'd say he is close to being a force but crossing that line from close to doing it is tough.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    (In your best overly-aggressive-middle-school-gym-teacher-promoted-to-principal-voice) - "It's only a the smallest difference between 'force' and 'farce' Malik..." (in German of course)

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This weekend, PSV and 2nd-placed Feyenoord play two newly-promoted sides which are in mid table with little real fear of relegation. Assuming both teams get the same result, the gap on paper will remain at 10 points but with a goal-difference advantage of 20 for PSV, there'll be an 11-point difference for the Rotterdam side to close in reality.

That sets the scene nicely for next weekend, when PSV are at home to Feyenoord. With only 10 games left after that tie, it will be the de facto championship decider and a must-win for de stadion club.

If those games go PSV's way, it's likely that some of the stars will either be rested or subbed off earlier ahead of the CL return leg which would give Pepi more PT. If they beat Dortmund as well, that possibility becomes a near-certainty.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.