Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LDJ now has 0 goals in his last 4 games for PSV.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Applies to me and Pepi.

WrmBrnr, Mason16, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's so "All About Eve" in a weird way. Pepi's best situation is LdJ doesnt' score, he comes in and pops the game winner with some regularity and Bosz starts to feel they need Pepi to start, or at least come in at 60-70 mins consistently, but LdJ, not wanting to be seen as the aging starlet, and still wielding some heft as captain and club legend, digs in on his minutes.... Resulting in a duel at dawn in the forests of Eindhoven! (which do exist, tho no one duels there, but hey, trends come and they go. Maybe Ricardo will bring back the field of honor.)

I pick Pepi at twenty paces at dawn, in the Boktse Beemden.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Pepi's goal celebration revealed: upload_2023-12-7_23-30-7.png

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Boktse Beemden looks like a marsh, not a forest.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m picturing a 100 meter x 200 meter square surrounded by agricultural fields

WrmBrnr, Magikfute and freisland repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's the Netherlands, Bru - the whole freakin' country is a marsh. But there's a "forest" (Dutch-level) there too. Eindhoven is actually has a lot (for N'lands) of forested area around it, relatively speaking. Tho, a foggy marsh bank is probably best for duels anyway. Don't want to hit a branch by mistake.

russ repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Every tree the same size.

9. Actually the name Holland comes from the meaning land of woods.

10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was always setting up quite well for him .... be the understudy to LDJ ... an aging veteran Dutch striker ... all the while gradually improving his skills so that when the time is right he will start and LDJ will be a sub and continue to support the club. Pepi just had to be patient - and it seems like he has been a great pro in that way. Seems frankly like he is in a better developing environment than Flo. It is what it is. And Bocsz gets to gradually train and rely on a developing young quality striker. PSV are no idiots ... they know as Ricardo continues to improve his value just keeps rising.

Mason16, tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I don't have much of a problem with the way PSV are using Pepi so far, but I will say that I would have expected more than zero starts for him in the 25 matches across all competitions that they've played so far, particularly given the age of their starting striker and the number of competitions they're involved in. Obviously some US fans are disappointed, and perhaps a little frustrated, about that. PSV's success, and Pepi's part in that off the bench, mitigate that disappointment a good deal for me, but I can understand if others feel differently.

Pl@ymaker and Scissorkick Collins repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Eindhoven ain't in Holland, bruh. But it does have a decent amount of woods.

uniteo and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  13. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BRUCE!!!

14. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wiki page says:

"Holland" is informally used in English and other languages, including sometimes the Dutch language itself, to mean the whole of the modern country of the Netherlands.

It goes on to say:

Between 1806 and 1810 "Holland" was the official name for the country as a whole

I think that is why some people interchange the two even though it isn't accurate today.

I have often wondered about this so thanks for giving me the motivation to look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Curses at you in Frysk! I only do this because my father-in-law, who was born in Frysk/Friesland, loved to give people a hard time about it, half in jest. Even the (non-Frysk) Dutch will call Netherlands "Holland" some times, especially the Belgians from Rotterdam. But True Dutchman know the difference.

It's not quite as bad as calling Scots "English" but a few of the northern Dutch folks who battle to retain "Frysk Culture" genuinely get a bit peeved by the conflation.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Tolkien kind of borrowed it for Hollin in LoTR. Interesting.

The main entrance to Khazad-dûm was the Great Gates in Dimrill Dale, east of the Misty Mountains. During the Second Age, it was decided to open a way to the west side of the Silvertine, which would facilitate contact and cooperation with the Elven realm of Hollin.[2]

The Doors of Durin or West-gate were built in the dark cliffs of the Silvertine mountain and protected the entrance to what became the goblin-realm of Moria, once the Dwarf kingdom of Khazad-dûm. The doors were bordered on each side by two ancient holly trees, symbolising the border of the Elven Relm.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By '94 I'd gotten used to using Netherlands and then went to the WC game with Netherlands vs Brazil. Almost every NL fan had gear on that said Holland. I now use whichever pops out of my mouth first.

Winoman and freisland repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As long as you stay south of Lemmer, you're probably ok... but once you get to Joure, I make no promises!

Pegasus and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  19. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Damn yall old

WrmBrnr, Pegasus, russ and 2 others repped this.
  20. aeschylusdanceparty

NYRB
    United States
    Jun 3, 2021
    Surely one of those ironic names, like Little John (joke joke!)

21. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    It's because of the shoes!

klomp, klomp, klomp...

I'll show myself out.

22. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I personally prefer Paises Bajos

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    From the PSV website ...

"Ricardo Pepi sent PSV through to the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League last week by scoring a late winner. The super sub came off the bench against sc Heerenveen in the 76th minute and just over 60 seconds after being brought on, he beat sc Heerenveen goalkeeper Andries Noppert in a 1 v 1 situation. Bosz was over the moon. “It’s incredible. He has one goal-scoring opportunity and takes it. As a player, I would lose my composure, but Pepi did an excellent job”, said Bosz, smiling brightly."

24. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Give him some more scoring opportunities?

25. I'm hearing PB might give him a starting spot against Arsenal.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.