Ricardo Pepi at PSV Eindhoven

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by EXALIFTIN, Jun 27, 2021.

1. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice composure!

ChicagoVT and largegarlic repped this.
  2. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    So he's at 2 goals in the league and 3 goals in all competitions now, right? That's pretty good for the minutes he's getting, though of course 2 are pks.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's ok but he's no Altidore.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There are very few Arsenals in the ered. Pepsi will get minutes, and goals.

5. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Cant wait to see replies to this

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s for sure. Transfermarkt isn’t determinative but it is a data point that there are only 4 clubs in Eredivisie with a market value over €50M. Almere has a MV of €14M.

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At Pepi’s age, Altidore was a big guy that was most comfortable out wide. Wasn’t much of a header then, either.

adi21 repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Jozy should have gone to Ajax or PSV when he left Alkmaar instead of Sunderland. Pepi was smart to keep in the Eredivisie.

Pegasus and tomásbernal repped this.
  9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    He was four years older than Pepi at the time so I think moving up to a better league was the right call. I hope Pepi isn’t still in the Eredivisie at 24 or 25. To be honest I’m still not sure I really like him having left Augsburg without giving it another go,

zlatan_but_a_car and don Lamb repped this.
  10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2023 it's easy to say that. Pepi is fortunate to have the example of Jozy before him. I agree that Pepi made the right decision, but he also benefits from ground laid by Jozy and many others.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It is clear you are not an accountant.

12. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it does work for some to move up the ladder a bit at a time right Mr Haaland?

superdave and freisland repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Of course for young players, timing is everything (or at least a lot), but Jozy was unlikely to significantly up his tranfer fees and over-all career total earning with another year scoring at AZ, unless he really stepped it up a gear. He was 4 in the Erede, and had over 30 goals in all comps... He was 23? going on 24? I think... He might have made a smarter transfer than S'land, but I'm not sure he get more money from Toronto no matter where he was playing. I guess maybe he could have stayed in England longer and made the big money a few more years... but it's all hypothetical.

Reality is, at some point you have to swim in the deep end where the gold bars have sunk. Knowing the "optimum" time can be tricky.

Mason16 repped this.
  15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO he's gonna get a start within the next 3-4 matches.

Going off both Bosz's recent comments and performance.

Next step for Pepi will be convincing Bosz rotating him in as a starter every 3 or so matches for De Jong helps the team.

I do think that's the plan tho. They're going slow but at the same time I have never seen Pepi look as confident as he has the last month. Looks a little more clinical with his touches too. Decisive.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember our Dutch buddy at the time saying his coach thought he needed to stay as he still had a lot to learn about the position. I think it was born out to be true as only later did he play more like a CF instead of a winger. Sure seems to be a common thing among younger forwards. They don't like getting banged on by older, stronger center backs. Once they add years and muscle they are better at it. It's one reason I like Pepi as he already plays like a real CF and doesn't shy away from spots CF's should occupy. He could become a monster as he gets stronger.

ChicagoVT and Winoman repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they have a plan for him that's great. Sure seems the teams there are really good at training players how to get better. Not all do though so must be a talent and willingness to learn thing too.

18. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Member+

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    The goal came at a great time. Makes the coach look like a genius given his comments the other day and reinforces that he's ready for more minutes. The only problem is de Jong seems like the kind of player who thinks he should play every minute of every game. Makes it hard when he's your captain...

LouisianaViking07/09 and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When the inevitable is in sight, it is natural to try to beat it back. I am not hoping for an injury to de Jong, but pushing is one way to do it. Check Aaron Rogers. It would be in his best interest to dial his minutes back for his own longevity. Although he will probably not see it that way.

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    It's a long season with many games. I think this is a very good situation.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're roommates and share an alarm clock.

24. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Bosz is cementing his status as the Dutch Jim Curtain

25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team: