Ricardo Clark in talks with Wigan

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by subbuteo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's pronounced "gonna lose to reading this saturday" Something about a long a following a g.

2. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
  3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    An "avalanche" of players going overseas to train, in my view, stretches the meaning of the word avalanche. None of the players mentioned thus far will find themselves in the kit of the team they're training with now. That's a near certainty.

Another prediction of the mass exodus will be proved wrong.

4. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Wigan doesn't have enough to sign a young prospect like Clark. I'm sure MLS would want something in the 1.5-2 million range. A work permit seems highly doubtful as well. I would prefer to see Ricardo break in to Europe at a PSV or Feyenoord.

5. Wigdean

Wigdean New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    We do have enough to buy him...easily. We have more money than anyone outside of the top 5 in the Premiership. We've been promised £30m from the chairman if we get into the Premiership.
    We definitely wouldn't spend £2m on him though, so if that's how much the MLS want, then he won't be signing.

Oh and it's pronounced Wiggin by people in the town but pronounced Wig-an outside of the town, if that makes sense?

Isn't this the 2nd time we've had an American trialist come over?

6. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch

In addition Ricardo himself should not want to go, he’s better off for his career to continue to develop here rather than get buried in some 2nd division (?) club in England where the Bruce would never see him. But I bet he’s just there to get his name out and hope to transfer after having done something of significance here.

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to recall that a trialist can't play for the reserves IF money is charged to attend. Let everyone in for free, and trialists can play. Only my hazy recollection though.

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I think that's correct - so he could play in a game at the club's practice ground played behind closed doors.

9. Wigdean

Wigdean New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I'm not sure if we actually charge people to watch our reserve games though. I could have sworn my friend went a month or so ago and didn't have to pay...

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Wigan could well be in the Premiership next season. I hope so, they'd be the 52nd team to play in the top league since I started watching the game, quite a remarkable number of teams - the joys of pro/rel. Plus I remember watching them in the semi-pro Northern Premier League way back when so I have a soft spot for them.

11. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Welcome to BigSoccer, Wigdean.

Sachin

12. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    That's certainly quite a budget for a newly promoted side! Should me more then enough to keep you guys in the EPL if you get promoted. Getting back to Ricardo. He's a very talented defensive midfielder. Our own mini Patrick Viera if you will. He has excellent dribbling and tackling ability. His athleticism is first rate and he seems to be developing a very dangerous outside shot. Again, I just can't see your club spending that amount on a young, unproven American.

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I can't see Clark getting a work permit. I also can't see MLS selling him at this point in his career because he needs another year to establish any significant market value.

So, really I think this is -- as indicated by the NY Times which lumps Clark with all of the other guys training with European teams -- more a training exercise than a real trial. But you never know.

14. Wigdean

Wigdean New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    The chairman of Wigan owns the biggest sportswear company in Europe. He owns more or less anything of value in Wigan, including the football and rugby team. In fact it's 2 rugby teams now.
    This is why you'll hear a lot of moaning if we get promoted. People say we have bought our way to were we are. :(

Thanks Sachin btw. I'm impressed with the way you guys keep upto date with things in Europe. It seems you found out about this deal before I did. :D

And I'm shocked (although impressed too) that M saw a Wigan game before I did, even though I live hear.

15. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    I think he's English.

16. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Nope. You'll have to trust me on this one...

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Agoos was on trial with WBA, he scored a goal for their reserves.

It could be that Goose was not under contract at the time (I don't know one way or the other, just talking about a POSSIBLE difference.) Also, Wigan may be a poor, penny-pinching club. You can't charge admission for a match if a player in it doesn't have a WP.

EDIT: What Michael K said.

18. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
  19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
  20. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing: $1.5-2 million(US) is roughly £40 and a bag of crisps given the current strength of the dollar - and it's only getting worse. US players are going to end up being real bargains real soon, and forward thinking teams like Wigan (which has a very good front office) I'm sure realize that.

21. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You have my deepest condolences.

22. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Really!? And to think that all this time I thought our economy was doing well. :D

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, but you didn't point out that in London a package of crisps costs about $500,000. Lord help you if you need a soda with that.

24. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Don't worry, the tax cuts will kick in and all will be well.