Ribéry and Grenier ruled out for the WC

Discussion in 'Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras, France' started by bwiorly, Jun 6, 2014.

1. bwiorly

bwiorly Member

May 3, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I know we have a World Cup discussion thread, but now that we're less than a week away from the start of the tournament, it is probably time to start more specific threads on different topics and games.

So Deschamps has just made it official: Grenier and Ribéry are out for the WC. Cabella and Schneiderlin have been called back. Note that before they are officially added to the roster, a medical exemption needs to be granted by FIFA. To be continued...

2. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Terrible terrible news :( Although it isn't a surprise given how the media really has almost said it was a near-certainty. One would have to wonder whether DD should be second-guessed by not having Nasri among the 7 but if there is a bright side to this (which truly there likely isn't), it's the opportunity the new generation will want to step up. Antoine Griezmann can become a fixture with a strong tournament, Valbuena can be recognized outside of France, but most important of all, it is Benzema's time. Euro 2012 in a sense also was an opportunity which obviously he failed, but life does give to the greats second chances, and when they arrive, the purported great has to step up. So now it is Benzema's time to prove the Ronaldo (R9) comparisons early on were warranted.

By the way, it could be argued it's also Pogba's time though he will have really more than a decade of chances, we can hope.

jerrito repped this.
  3. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I also should state for the record that the Ronaldo comparisons were almost always too optimistic (although they were more realistic than the endless Zidane comparisons, like Meghni/Meriem). But when Karim burst onto the scene in 2007-08 for OL, it really looked the sky was the limit. Either way though he needs a big tournament. The draw is kind in the sense that, if Ribery were out and we were in a harsher group (with all due respect to our opponents), things would be much worse

4. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Lots of pressure on Griezmann's shoulders now. Lets hope he's up to the task. I'm starting to think Nasri would be a better option instead of Cabella but who knows.

5. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Almost certainly if it were not for that "chemistry" question though it's sadly a moot point :( we can never know

6. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Does anyone find it interesting that Schneiderlin was called up instead of, say, Lacazette? Not comparing them on quality, but both Ribery and Grenier are midfielders with attacking qualities, whereas while Morgan may actually possess a decent all-around game, he's a lot more defensive-minded. I know DD's likely explanation would be that he sees Lacazette as a striker, not a midfielder, but Lacazette has shown to be effective on the wing through his career. In any case, neither <<reserviste>> will get lots if any playing time, so it is likely not a big deal, but...

7. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm not concerned at all. Ribery does not, and has never carried the France team on his shoulders. Also, Cabella is better than Grenier in my opinion and will offer more to the attack. As for whether AG can fill Ribery's boots, I think Griezmann will shine! There is a lot of young, hungry talent in this squad and I think they are really coming together as a team at the right time.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  8. Persona

Persona Member

Feb 24, 2014
    You can argue that some of France's worst performances from the last 4 years was due in large part to Ribery and how he performed. When he puts on the shirt, the Ribery from Bayern fails to show up.

It will not be a major loss.

StarrMatthieu and CoDave repped this.
  9. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    But he was pretty good in qualifying, and basically when the team had a bad game, everyone had a bad game, not just Ribery...

guignol and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  10. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    no Clichy,
    M'Vila
    Nasri
    Rami,
    Ribery
    Grenier
    Menez

That is Lot of talent at home.

11. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    isnt Lacazette injured?

12. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ill pass..... they can all stay home.....

Waliatiger repped this.
  13. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!!

CoDave repped this.
  14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    there's a WC discussion forum and normally someone should have moved the previous thread to the group E thread. there's almost no traffic in that section yet, and i don't see any of you guys there, so i'm going to do that to this thread now (with a redirect). i think it will be more fun for everybody.

i'd take a vote if there was time, but sometimes there's a lot to be said for benevolent dictatorship. especially when you get to be the dictator. goody goody gumdrops!

jerrito and CoDave repped this.
  15. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #15 ihatewaiting4years, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    If France Ribery was the same as Bayern Ribery then this would be a big loss. However, Bayern Ribery almost never showed up when wearing the colors of Les Bleus. I'd rather have an in-form healthy young guy in Griezmann than an out of form and injured Ribery. This may end up working out for France. Griezmann is the future anyways.

16. zizouForlife

zizouForlife Member

Jun 3, 2008
    His also debuting at the same age robbery debuted in 2006 which was 23

guignol and Radu Razvan repped this.
  17. LeSteve

LeSteve Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but benevolent dictatorship has always worked out for the dictator in France. Good decision

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    france has only ever had two dictators: napoleon and hitler (with his hand up petain's ass). both ended badly.

but no one's got their hand up my ass! i'm a free puppet!

OverseasView repped this.
  19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Maximilian Robiespierre?
    And kingdoms are arguably a glorified form of dictatorship :)

20. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It didn't end better for him.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  21. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Napoleon is not a dictator that's pretty crazy to say that !

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    they both were moreso than robespierre.

zahzah repped this.
  23. StarrMatthieu