RFT-100 wristband

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Pierre Head, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Anyone know how to replace the wristband on the RFT-100?
    It is not clear how to access the pins, as they seem to be hidden.
    None of the YouTube videos on Casio wristband replacements include
    the RFT-100, and they are all totally different.

Thanks,

PH

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I took mine to a jeweler who was stumped. He ended up sending it out. I got it back in a timely fashion.....5 months.

roby repped this.
  3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    The jeweler played cricket?

But he didn't say how it was done?
    And I was hoping it would be a 5 min job, like every other watchband I have replaced!
    :mad::(:cry:

Thanks anyway!

PH

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I looked at mine and concluded ... dang, I hope my band doesn't give out.

FWIW, I also ran down the instruction sheet for the RFT-100. It has nothing about how to replace the band.

Might be time for a judicious application of duct tape.

IASocFan and voiceoflg repped this.
  5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, indeed! But the duct tape that has been on for 6 months is also now coming loose, which is why I
    decided to go ahead and buy a replacement band as a Christmas present to myself (also at the
    urging of Mrs PH who thought the duct tape looked awful and was a Jeff Foxworthy solution!)

I expected (maybe too optimistically) that once I got the new one, I could figure it out. I also checked the instruction manual to no avail. Upon closer inspection, it looks like the top segment that surrounds the
    dial may have to be pried off to get at the pins, but I wanted to try to get more info before attempting that.

Since they sell the replacement, somebody must know how to install it, surely?

Thanks for your response!

PH

6. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes, I was kinda hoping the replacement band would include instructions. Oh well.

Hmm ... maybe if you email that Australian (?) group that posted the instructional video because they had special-ordered 100 of the watches, they can tell you how to do it?

Pierre Head repped this.
  7. LongTimeLurker

Dec 24, 2019
    I replaced a band on one of my two RFT-100s a few years ago. My memory of what I did is vague. The simplest approach, if you already have the replacement band, is to cut off the old one (destroying it in the process), saving the pins. I think I used wire cutters to perform the removal. Once the band is off, you can see how the pins get compressed to fit the new band onto the watch.

I recently needed a new battery in one of my RFT-100s. After my aging eyes saw the tiny screws on the back of the watch, I asked my wife to take the watch to her favorite jeweler. She said that even he reported some difficulty, but I got the watch back the same day.

Pierre Head repped this.
  8. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Thank you for your response.

I may try that as a last resort. I am reluctant to do so now, because with the duct tape I can at least still
    use the watch, and unlike you, I only have one. I am still hoping to find the right method (unless yours is in fact the only way).

During my searching I found a few items on battery replacement for the RFT-100. All of them indicated it was tricky,
    and if not done exactly right, some features no longer work. So it seems that the watch is not designed for easy
    maintenance by the buyer. Like many of the rest of us, I wish I had bought 1 or 2 more initially. ($29 at Walmart!).

PH

swoot repped this.
  9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I've had the battery replaced in mine three times now, each time by the same guy, an old-school craftsman who is a certified Rolex repairman. Each time he's said "Hmm, I dunno, tricky, might not go back together, and might not work if it does," and each time I've said "Yeah, that's what you said last time - go for it." And it's still ticking. But yeah I wish I'd bought three.

Pierre Head repped this.
  10. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a jeweler that specializes in watches. They were able to do it but it was quite a hassle and it didn’t last very long before the whole thing crapped out.

11. AlsoRan

AlsoRan Member

Aug 17, 2005
    I stepped on mine once, causing the band to come loose. No damage, just happened to separate the band from the watch. I was very concerned as I struggled to re-set the band, as this was the original special WC edition. It probably took me 15 minutes to put it back on and I was a sweaty mess at the end. But the bottom line is that it is no different than your average band, other than the tolerance is very, very tight. I don't recommend stepping on it, but a precision screwdriver inserted right where you would intuit the pin to be should work, eventually. It has been at least a year with no issues.

Pierre Head repped this.
  12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    #12 Pierre Head, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Update:

After sending out several emails to places that sell the watches or replacement bands,
    I received a helpful reply from watchbattery.co.uk.

For the non-buckle end, it is necessary to bend the strap backwards away from the watch. Doing
    this lets you see the spring bar, just barely. Then you can use a small screwdriver (like the ones
    that come with eye-glasses repair kits) to pry the spring inwards to release the bar from the holes.
    There is a special tool to do this also, which probably makes it easier, but I used the tiny screwdriver.
    It also helps to use some sort of good magnification and a good light source. It is difficult to see much
    peering into a black recess and the holes are small. (I used a headband with magnifying lenses that my wife uses when making jewelry!)

After some initial attempts, I finally got the strap bent away enough to get the screwdriver on the spring bar and pry it loose releasing the strap. But I must have applied too much pressure in bending the strap backwards because the end of the spring bar was bent. When I tried to straighten it, it snapped!

I was able to source the replacement spring bar (had to buy 4 for $2!) and eventually was able to re-attach the strap (non-buckle end). It took many attempts, because the holes are quite deeply located
    in the watch body, and the strap with the bar inside had to be very firmly pushed into the body,
    once the spring was compressed with the screwdriver.
    It seems to be secure at this time. Gentle pulling does not cause it to come off.
    The first few attempts were unsuccessful because the ends of the bar did not slot into the holes,
    and gentle pulling resulted in the strap coming off.

The buckle end is attached differently, with some sort of clamp as well as the spring bars, but I did not replace this end as it is still in good condition.

So now I have my RFT-100 back in working condition. :D

In summary, it is possible to do this replacement with a lot of patience. But I advise getting the spring bar compression tool for about $5 which will make it much easier. Also I advise buying the spring bars when you buy the watch band. The places that sell the bands usually also have the spring bars. You need 16 mm length and 1.8 mm diameter for the spring bars.
    But cutting the old band off will also work and does not risk damaging the bars.

Overall the cost was about $21.

Or just buy a new watch!

PH

Bubba Atlanta repped this.