RFK Turnout..

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jlm120170, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jlm120170

jlm120170 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    maryland
    I know no one has said it i wonder why the low turnout at RFK do you think it botherd the players and i mean the diehards were going to be there no matter what but i know we have more season ticket holders then that showed up.

Just wondering everyone thoughts?

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was hastily put together and at a horrible time. I'm happy that many people were able to show up.

3. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004

Definitely not a good time for it. 5:30 on a weekday is Rush Hour time.

4. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Personally, I thought it was a good number. I was surprised as many were able to make it as were there. I hadn't been home since Friday so, it was a stretch for me to make it...I'm sure some just couldn't turn out.

Tim

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Traffic totally and absolutely sucked on Tuesday. I left straight from work at 4:30 and what should be a 20 minute drive took me way over an hour. I think a little more notice and a 7:30 start time would have attracted more fans. That being said, I still think it was a pretty good turnout including a ton of people that made the trip to LA. And I'm pretty sure the players weren't bothered by it, they all seemed to be having a good time and appreciating the props thrown their way.

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Traffic was horrible. Bad time. Bad day. That and the fact that they had to do the celebration before players departed the team.

Even considering all that, it was a great turnout. I think it was closer to the couple of thousand some fans estimated rather than the number reported by the WP journalist who never covers soccer.

7. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    I was wondering some of the same things myself. But nothing could come close to the electricity the stadium had the last two games. Even 5K could have been disappointing. The other thing is that some of the players looked exhausted, from partying like its 1999 or travel or whatever.
    All I can say is that I am extremely grateful to management for holding the event. I wish we could have done something special for Earnie and Ryan.
    Thank you KP and SZ for allowing us time with the team on the field. Just like this team and this season, it was special.

8. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I for one would have had no idea if I wasn't on BS ...

-dave

9. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I thought turnout was great.

YMMV.

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Some of my friends received an email form the FO about 3pm on Tuesday announcing the airport arrival and the celebration thing at RFK. So yeah if it wasn't for this online community I would never of known about it either.

I don't think the players would be upset at the outcome, i am sure to a degree they were dragging through the whole process, totally spent, and tired and ready to just ...do nothing for a weekend.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There were numerous press releases including The Washington Post, WRC4, channels 7 and 9 and COMCAST.

12. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    The turnout seemed really good to me. As others have said the timing really sucked. Most folks got only last minute notice of the event and it takes some doing during rush hour. I work downtown and it was a bit hellish getting there in time.

13. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Timing was bad. I work downtown and I generally can't get out of the office before 8pm unless I have sufficient advanced notice to be able to plan ahead.

14. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing I would add is that some of us diehard fans couldn't make the travel on a work/school night. I do know I will be there for the first home match and every home match after. Special thanks to all the supporters that made it too Cali. it was nice to see your ugly faces on TV.

15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Due to family obligations, I had to get out to Vienna after work and couldn't make it back downtown in time. I was there in spirit, though!

16. voodoodiver

voodoodiver Member

Jun 21, 2002
    FLL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Desperately wanted to go but I was underwater teaching at 6 in Alexandria. Never had a chance to go.

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm, sat in meetings for 7 hours, wearing a suit, go home, or go to RFK and get home at 9:30...

Nope, didn't go

18. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Wanted to go so badly it hurt.

Instead I had to go to my brat-nephew's birthday party. Seriously, the only nephew/niece that is on my sh!t list--I love all of them, but this one is just... a spoiled brat (although his brother and sister are not). When it was implied that I might be a bit late because of this downtown thing, my sister-in-law's evil eye was so intense, the partial paralysis of the left side of my face has yet to wear off.

So instead I watched little rat bastard shove cake in his face. (Thank God none of my relations know my handle).

19. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    I would have liked to have been there, but I went straight to Las Vegas from LA Sunday night to celebrate our 4th championship, and didn't come back until the redeye dropped me off yesterday morning.

I know there were at least four other DCU fans on my flight to LV Sunday night, so i assume they could not have made the RFK event either. I would have if I had been back.

20. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I thought there was about a thousand people there. It was a decent turnout considering this was put together last minute. It's not like '97 where they could have an open parade down Constitution Avenue mid morning and people could venture out of their office buildings to watch and participate. Security issues prevent something like that happening again. Regardless of what some morons on radio/tv/print say, I had a blast.

21. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Me and 3 guys I know all wanted to go but getting to RFK at 5:30 when we work until 5:30 is a bit of a stretch. It was horrible timing and they should have scheduled it better. I'm glad that the people who went had a great time for what sounds like a great event.

22. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's not like they can schedule this for two or three weeks from now. They need to strike while the iron is hot, and emotions are high. The drawback of a weekend championship is that it's a whole week away from the next weekend. Notice that the Red Sox won on something like a Wednesday (some BoSox fan will correct this) and they could wait until Saturday for their celebration.

I would have liked to have gone home and got the wife and kids, but the haul out to Reston and back would have been a nightmare.....so they had to settle for the pictures that I took.

On the way in to Lot 8, I was asking myself when the last time I was at RFK on a Tuesday......I don't think I have been.

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

24. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    BS is my main source of sports, news and traffic reports. :eek:

25. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dcu.com says 1200 showed up thats not too bad.