Reyna: Sunderland vs. Manchester United, 8/31 10a (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    How about his transfer fee when he went to Sunderland?

I watched the tape last night, and Reyna was really something. Looks like he's taking up where he left off vs. Mexico & Germany in the WC.

Sunderland's kind of an interesting team to watch now w/ Reyna, Flo and very shortly Marcus Stewart if he can regain his form from two years ago.

They could use some help in the back though.

2. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too watched the game on FSW last night, and was impressed by Reyna's play, although not as much as I thought I'd be after reading all the press in the last few days.

What I was more impressed with was his defensive work. CR came back a lot and helped disrupt the ManU offense, while at the same time he orchestrated Sundarland's offense. It reminded me of the Uruguay-USA pre-WC friendly in RFK. Reyna and Davids both seemed to go end to end that day. Reyna did it again on Sunday (or was it Saturday).

PS - Roy Keane is a fricking maniac. He should defiintely seek anger management classes. Did anyone see Sky Sports news after the game? They showed Keane's revenge tackle on Alfe whateverhis name. One of the most vicious tackles I have ever seen. Keane truly was trying to break the guy's leg.

3. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction of above post: USA-Holland match, which was not at RFK, but at CMGI (I think).

How do you edit an existing post?

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    click the edit button, bottom right corner of the post.

5. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't too obvious! I swear I looked around but couldn't find any clues. Sherlock Holmes I am not.

6. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    word - Reyna played very very well - he clearly is the man in the middle for the Black Cats. What impressed me most was his work rate - far higher than I remember him playing - at both ends.

Roy Keane is simply the Mike Tyson of soccer - all that talent and such an idiot. Let's see - let me elbow McAteer within 5 yards direct observation by the ref. What a friggin lunatic? Sooner or later - Sir Alex needs to dump the bag of garbage.

7. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too expected more of Reyna after reading the posts here. He did play well and it just goes to show you one good pass and you get MVP. He is truly a calming influence on that team.

Keane is so childish. Even us weekend warriors know that you bide your time to give a guy a whack and surely you don't do it off the ball.

I also have seen that tackle and it was truly criminal. I winced big time the first time I saw it. He really has a screw loose.

I thought MacAteer's book writing gesture may also get him in trouble thought it was funny as hell. Did you hear that Man U has banned players from writing books while playing for the Club? Funny.

8. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should simply ban Keane. I don't think any other player (ManU or otherwise) will be dumb enough to write a book while still playing, at least not a 'revealing' book like Keane's.