Reyna re-injures groin- out after New Year....

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 13, 2004.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    But Reyna's game isn't built around his athletic ability like Giggs is. His game could be starting to decline but its not readily noticable when he plays guys at his talent level in the Premiership. But I wouldn't be too surprised if your right and his game is starting to wear a bit. But solmeone has to take that position away and it takes more than being 7 years younger to do that

2. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Just watched the Man U - Newcastle game and Man U won playing with 10 1/2 men....The 1/2 man missing was the other half of the old Roy Keene...this guy used to be box to box....now he is edge of center circle to edge of center circle....he organises, doesn't give the ball away. makes simple passes but IMO his legs are gone...I'm sure SAF realises this but Keene is such a leader/bully that he may be around for one more season.....for sure no more than that...I feel that Reyna is coming to the end of an illustriouis career, age is catching up to him, injuries linger and are more frequent and harder to shake off....there are few things worse than staying with a player past his "sell by" date....and Reyna is close to his "sell by" date...

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying if he had played with the reserves he wouldn't have reinjured himself?

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    but heres the thing. Manchester United have Kleberson, Flether, John O'Shea, and even Eric Djemba-Djemba. We have Kerry Zevagnin and Chris Armas. Does no one else see this? Reyna might be getting worse, but our options aren't even close to as good as he is yet. Except for John O'Brien. IMHO. I sincerly hope that someone like Ricardo Clark or Clint Depmsey or Danny Szetela proves me wrong. This isn't about age or loyalty. This about playing the best player at the position.

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

If Reyna is still the best player at the position then I think the USA has real problems....

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    then so be it. but do you think the other options we have at this position are better than Reyna?

7. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, this sucks. Hopefully Reyna makes a full recovery. Regardless if you think he should be starting 11 or not, Reyna should be included in any USA squad. Remember World Cup 2002 -- you need a full squad with games in such close proximity. We're a better team with Claudio Reyna.

However, looking forward, there's a huge opportunity for players like Clint Dempsey, Ricardo Clark, and Richard Mulrooney to provide an alternative in case of continued injuries to Reyna and O'Brien. And, hopefully Donovan continues his ascent into a leadership role and provides some of the intangibles Reyna does.

If this had to happen, though, you couldn't ask for a better time..still a year and a half to go.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we can all agree with this.
    As for his role with the USMNT, it's clearly nearing an end, injury or not. He may have another two years left at that level, putting that much stress on his body between club and country, but he really may not.
    I'd agree that no one right now plays that role at a level equal to JOB or reyna. But i don't know if that matters anymore. With their injury history, they have to be at least very close to international retirement, they have to think about cutting back on games to extend their professional careers.
    But, while I'd hate to see them both go, this is where the rubber meets the road, and we see if what we believe is out golden generation can step in and replace the best from the last generation.
    I agree with appoonu that heading into Germany with KZ in that role is a big step down ( I really like KZ, but he's not at their level), but we've got two years to find someone.

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Depends. If Armas is on the field, we absolutely must have a holding midfielder (your definition). With three midfielders with a modicum of ball skills and the ability to complete simple passes, dribble out of pressure, and not completely panic when a defender comes within the same tv frame as them, we don't need a holding midfielder.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    thats not very easy to find. Ask Manchester United as the midfielders are having all kinds of problems this season with this. You also forgot something. Physical strength to hold up to challenges under intense pressure for an extended period of time. I think Donovan, as he is physically very strong, can do this but I think it'll take a lot out of him. For an example of what I'm talking about consider the current criticism of Bobby Convey and consider Freddy Adu's play with DC United. I don't believe that Beasley or Convey are strong enough and durable enough on the ball to with stand this kind of pressure either. Plus, I don't think I'd want them gto have those reponsibilities because I'd rather have them attack.

See the beauty of having Claudio Reyna on the field is that it allows our attacking midfielders the freedom of not having to worry about coming back to release pressure. More often than not, they can trust Reyna to hold the ball under pressure, and release it to the attackers. Take him away, and you'll see Donovan and Beasley dropping back very deep to simply get the ball.

11. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the coaches and players believe the same. Actually, we and they have to start believing that because the reality is we cannot count on either of them to be healthy.

12. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Whatever. Reyna has been a great Captain for the US whether he gets another cap or not. Everytime I've seen him play for club or country he has played his guts out. That doesn't mean he's ALWAYS been the best on the pitch or at his best level but he's always played the best he can and thats all I can ask.

Screw all you sceptics. Smile. You're as free as you want to be.

Malk.

13. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I agree with appoonu that Reyna (or JOB) are essential for the US to compete with Holland, Brazil, Spain etc. Perhaps we could be a good defend and counter team against a top team without Reyna, and not have much possession...I'll agree with that much. But if we want to actually play these teams and not just defend and hope for a counter, without Reyna (or JOB) we are in trouble.

For example, Reyna was about the only calming presence against Holland earlier this year. With Zavagnin in his place, the quality of passing out of the back is just not there compared to Reyna, and Armas is just horrible at everything but tackling. Maybe we could do without Reyna if we play with LD and maybe Gaven in the middle, and then Beasley and someone else on the wings, but this would be a very very different team. Perhaps more of a play up the wings type of team or direct long balls up top for layoffs to LD/Gaven etc. We could not build out of the back like we can with Reyna. Now maybe that would be a more effective team, because I will be the first to admit that Reyna is not exactly the world's greatest at invoking a good quick attack. He does like to fiddle around with it and isn't always very direct. Also, he rarely makes a cutting run himself. So with a team with speed like we have now with LD, Beasley and EJ, maybe a quicker more directly attacking team is a better option.

Regardless, though, for now Reyna certainly fits into our starting squad, both in terms of talent and in terms of how much our team needs someone who won't cough the ball up in the middle of the field when we are playing against a team like Holland where such turnovers would be disastrous.

14. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I refuse to ignore quality opposition from within CONCACAF - doing so would unjustly sell both us and the region short. Mexico is a quality side - and the last time we played them, we won without either Reyna or OBrien.
    But if you must have a non-concacaf opponent - the last time we played one was Poland which we tied - no claudio. the previousl time we played poland we beat them with reyna... so obviously he made the difference? Would the USA have lost by 3-4 goals had Reyna not played against Holland?

I guess what bugs me is that you chose 1 sentence out of my post and responded to it while seemingly ignoring the basis for that sentence... and even the line you chose to quote you missed the point... i said I have to believe we can win - not that we regularly win without them.

If you don't think we can beat quality opponents without JOB or CR - then I'm guessing you dont't we'd be able to beat anyone good with players taht are currently healthy? Is that true?

15. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Damn it...No Reyna or JOB. Oh well...I suppose it could be worse. At least it's not during Hex time...

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might - MIGHT - agree we need either/or to beat Holland, Brazil, Spain (I won't agree we need them to COMPETE) as of right now. But that may not be the case 1 1/2 years from now by the time we get to Germany. Someone or multiple someones could arrive on the scene or those already on the scene mature to the point where they more than fill what Reyna and/or JOB bring to the team. (I reiterate - look at what Donovan/Beasley did at WC02) That's all I'm saying. And with the rate that those two get hurt, well.....

[And I responded to the post initially that said, "well, we haven't done it yet," by simply saying that just because we haven't done it doesn't mean we won't be able to do it. Back in 2000, who would have thought we'd have stood toe to toe with Germany at the World Cup in 2002 and outplay them? Ya gotta believe, people!]

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Reyna wouldn't have made a difference against the Poland match in Chicago because Poland simply bunkered for 90 minutes. Thats about finishing more than anything else. And you have a good point about the Mexico match. But even then, Armas and Zevagnin did very little in that match as Donovan and Beasley and Convey and Hejduk and Wolff simply brutualized Mexico. Get our attacking players to play that well then yea we can easily play with a pair of destroyers rather than central middies.

I'll grant you your point. Yes it would be possible for us to win against just about anyone without Reyna or O'Brien. But I would suggest the chances of doing so sharply decrease.

18. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    So, who exactly was arguing again the Kerry Z., Pablo Mastoeni, and Chris Armas are in the league of Claudio Reyna, who has captained Rangers and played for 2 EPL sides?

Its obvious Reyna gives us an incredible step up in our midfield general role offensively from the alternatives. However, we don't need him or JOB to realistically be healthy until WC 2006. So I'm not particularly concerned yet, I think we can qualify past the Hex with the midfield we've been playing, although I wouldn't mind a Ricardo Clark coming out party next season to boost my confidence.

19. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Time for other players to step up. There were times when Tab Ramos was injured all the time and people couldn't rely completely on him being fit to guide the team. IN some ways I think that may have aided in Reyna's development and seasoning as team captain. I see it no differently today with players like Donovan and the younger generation having to fill in when the vets are hurt - it's good for them and it isn't as though none of them had the benefit of playing with Reyna before. I think that some fans may have just forgotten that without Reyna in the pre 98 days, the USA might've been even more sunk.

Claudio Reyna could add a lot to the team provided he's health yand plays beyond his now natural abilities. Same with John O'Brien. But given the two players propensity to injury, it would have been totally inexcusable for Bruce Arena to not have a contingency plan in the event that niether of them were available.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I totally agree with your post (don't choke :) and would add that I always thought Claudio could have a longer career then average, simply because speed has never been a real important component of his game (same as Valderamma), and as long as he is willing to take on more and more defensive role (as the years go on) he can still be useful as a holding mid, sweeper in defense sort. Now of course, injuries may short-tail his career....

Not impossible he could play some in the '06-'10 run either...

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, not impossible but not very probable....at least with regard to the '10 run up. If he heals well, I do think he can (and should) be involved for '06 run.

I'm a Reyna fan and used to go over to Charlottesville a lot to watch him when I was living in D.C. Hey, maybe that's what's wrong with him now....too much time spent on Klockner when it was still astro-turf...now taking it's toll.

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Since I think Claudio can hardly be slower at 35 (or maybe even 37) then he is at 33 or even 31, and I don't think his skill level will much worse....he's got a shot

I think he's biggest problem is the rapid skill improvement amongst the cadre in the hunt...we got some great yungins coming...

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully you're right. I need to see more playing time from the likes of Kyle Martino before I'm ready to admit we have another Reyna-type player.

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I was thinking more Szetela, Dempsey, Gaven who will put pressure on the 2 remaining mid spots (Beasley and Donavon are locks) and Gooch- with his ball skills- could wind up at DM vs. in the back.....

Martino looked like a breakthru in 2003 at the Confed Cup, had a pretty big dip, and only end of last year looked like regaining his real form.....big ? to me if he can make it now...

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree.....just mentioned Martino because even compared to the three you mentioned (Szetela, Dempsey, Gaven), I think Kyle is the best pure ball control/distributor of the bunch....at least that I've seen. Those other three certainly should be vying for spots (esp. Eddie) but I just see Martino as more of that classic ball distributor. Whether his skills will translate to the international level enough to allow him to take over Reyna's position is definitely a question.