Reyna close to return . . .

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tubby_butter, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    Crap, I guess this means he'll be in the midfield for the hex too. :(

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    :rolleyes:

Sometimes I wonder about USA fans....then I stop wondering because the proof is already there

3. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    As he should be...

4. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    I never really got what the big deal about reyna was

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Geez, and here I was having a positive attitude toward City their fans.

What a bunch of dirt balls, hoping for him to be injured.

Here's to them being relegated.

6. bobby's ham & cheese

Sep 5, 2004
    in my house
    Wow. Yeah totally agree. Harsh from the city fans. With or without Reyna, they are an average midtable side at best. Sounds like we got two yanks in Manchester who are being made to be scapegoats :rolleyes:

7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    With Reyna they are +10 GD, they should sell him in January to a team that will appreciate him.

8. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the big deal about Reyna? He doesn't screw up much, is vastly experienced and can play anywhere in midfield or defense. He isn't spectacular but just gets it done. His performance versus Mexico in the last Cup at outside back was one of the best US performances I have ever seen. His opponent was subbed after 30 minutes.

I think you will see him in the holding midfielder role or our defense. Even just to get us qualified. He may or may not be there in '06 but they need him right now.

The City fans are used to midfielders who run and run for no apparent reason. Reyna is a better passer of the ball than any of their current midfielders.

9. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Like SWP?

10. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Blackburn! He wouldn't even have to move.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Sorry but Ramon Morales was dominating Reyna with his speed. Taking him out for "El Matador" Hernandez was the worst move that Aguirre had made at the Cup.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    talk to Mexican fans and they'll tell you it was the other way around. Morales beat Reyna twice. Guess who got beat for the USA goal by Reyna?

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, and?

"El Matador" was a shadow of his old self in 2,002.

Morales kept going around Reyna and the whole Mexican offense kept getting traction off his play. Even if you count that Reyna foray forward as attributable directly to Morales, this is what you get when you match up two offensive players on the same side. In boxing, it's called "exchanging blows". It's just the Mexicans couldn't convert their early chances and the US did.

Now, if Reyna was dominating Morales, it'd be one thing but the bulk of the play was having just the opposite effect. Then, after the sub had taken place, the US was allowed to recoup defensively.

Otherwise, with Frankie suspended, Bruce was basically out of options on the right because Steve Cherundolo was not in his plans.

So, Appoo, I'll stick to my opinion with regard to Reyna-Morales match-up.

14. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    perfect answer! :D

15. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    He is expected to be on the bench, ready for duty today.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Except down. :(

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

Should I dig up the articles naming Meola one of (if not THE) best USA player in 1990? I'm all for giving Reyna the credit he deserves... and I'm a big fan of him and what he's done ...

but this is 2004... I could care less about his form 2 years ago when picking my current team... Same for any other player - how good are you now and how well do your skills improve the current team.

And before I get labeled a reyna-hater --- I'm hoping he's healthy and lights up Man City. My moniker is in respect to Reyna... he's been a great player - but that doesn't always make him th best option - he's not that great