Reyna article in Manchester Evening News (10/22) [R., implied]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by babytiger2001, Oct 23, 2003.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Manchester Evening News, Wednesday's editions...

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sport/football/manchestercity/stories/Detail_LinkStory=70857.html

In the article, Claudio Reyna says that on the heels of Man City's 6-2 demolition of Bolton Wanderers last weekend, City's new home ground, the City of Manchester Stadium, is starting to feel more and more like a home for the Sky Blues.

Interesting comments in the feature, which reflect towards the American captain:

AFTER a stuttering start, Manchester City are finally starting to feel at home in their spanking new stadium.

That’s the view of Blues midfielder Claudio Reyna, who opened his City account last Saturday in the 6-2 demolition of Bolton.

2. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
  3. RBourd52

RBourd52 Member

Jul 23, 1999
    Woodbridge, CT
  4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting that Claudio's taken on the role of unofficial team spokesman at both Sunderland and Manchester City... and even at Rangers, he was one of the more frequently quoted players.

5. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2001
    New England
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A college education will do that for you.

6. arkadygelman

arkadygelman New Member

May 22, 2003
    D.C. give or take
    True that.

7. zonker

zonker New Member

May 27, 2003
    Claudio says pretty much the same things to the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/3207325.stm

In addition to the college degree, it looks like he's been through some soccer equivalent of the Crash Davis school of cliches. "I'm just happy to be here and I hope I can help the ballclub" translates to "the key is to stay as positive as possible and then do your job when you get in the team."

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Claudio is extremely diplomatic. I expect him to end up a Gov'nr of New Jersey some day. The greatest thrill of that run of yellows and reds back in Glasgow was to see Reyna actually go off his nut (not to mention the raging good fun of the Costa Rica game.) I'd imagine he got the run out after the game this time because who doesn't want to parade a new signing when he's scored, justify the cash splash and all. But they will soon learn his is very good at this and if he's playing regularly I imagine he'll get a few quotes - most of them innocuous.

9. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he played in the previous game, that means he won't play tomorrow, and i was looking forward to watch him as the game is on FSW

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna hopes to keep his place in the side to face Chelsea on Saturday after scoring in last weekend's win over Bolton but is aware players will be left out regardless of their performance.

Seems vague. Like he knows people will be rested, but he thinks he may have a shot at playing. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he does start tonight. But then again, with Keegan's "squad system" in place and the fact that Man City will not have had a game in six days, perhaps the gaffer will want to change things around and give a game to those who haven't played in a bit.

But I think Reyna's place is safe, but all that comes down to hope and a gut feeling. And the fact that his form was excellent in the win over Bolton.

Yet, when's City's next UEFA Cup tie? If it's this coming midweek, then that builds a stronger case that Reyna gets a rest. If not, then he's more apt to play against Chelsea.

Can't wait to see the game tonight... Chelsea v Man City, should be an absolute ripper!!

I've got it on live via free-to-air TV courtesy of SBS tonight, at midnight Melbourne time. :D

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Berko out. Macca a maybe. Anglish Cup this midweek. Reyna clearly possible, but not a lock. One line up I saw was Macca and Barton. I personally think KK won't risk Macca (achillies)

Also, City (and Ajax) going after Melchiot in the back. Potential JOB implications, in some way. And potential Reyna to RB implications as well.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other thought...

If these lineup possibilities are keeping us guessing, what does that say about the opposition's mindset on the matter, too?

Chelsea will very much be wondering what's going on.

Having said that, though, with the depth on Ranieri's squad, we could say the same thing about the Toffees.

Might be a good time to start the game thread-- if not now, then very soon. :)

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other article, another feature done with Reyna, from the premierleague.com site...

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.r...mierLeagueNews&breadcrumb=latestfa_breadcrumb

It's a couple of days old, but I think there are elements in the article which bear some sort of context given Man City's 1-0 loss to Chelsea on Saturday...

Manchester City midfielder Claudio Reyna believes the Blues must try to score goals from all over the field - in order to reduce the pressure on in-form striker Nicolas Anelka.

The French forward has bagged seven goals in the Barclaycard Premiership so far this season, but Reyna was among the goalscorers as City beat Bolton 6-2 on Saturday, and the 30-year-old feels that the goalscoring responsibilities should be shared throughout the team.

"It is important for teams to score goals from all areas of the pitch. Shaun got two on Saturday, Sylvain got one and I got one," Reyna told the club's official website www.mcfc.co.uk.

"We can't always rely on the forwards and Nicolas Anelka to get all the goals for us. Scoring from other areas takes the weight of his shoulders.

"It becomes more difficult for the opposition to mark other players if they are making runs from different areas."