Revs vs. Dallas: BIG CONCERN (Caution Points)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Oct 2, 2003.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Just came across the following on MLSNET.com:

"MLS Disciplinary Report - September 29, 2003

(September 29, 2003) - The following is the most detailed and up-to-date League disciplinary information.

Official Warnings:

Jay Heaps (NE) 21 caution points
    Shalrie Joseph (NE) 21 caution points
    Daouda Kante (NE) 21 caution points
    Rusty Pierce (NE) 11 caution points"

So we'll be missing Carlos Llamosa for at least the next two games (and possibly longer) due to injury, while we'll also have pretty much our entire starting defense just one booking away each from having to sit out a critical home match against D.C. United a week from this Saturday.

The last meeting between the Revs and Burn saw Joe Franchino, Daouda Kante, and Carlos Llamosa receive bookings for New England, while Dallas saw Steve Morrow, D.J. Countess, Ezra Hendrickson, and Shavar Thomas be cautioned, the latter getting ejected in the 82nd minute.

Anyone know who's refereeing the match this weekend?

The Magpie

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Franchino's going to go nuts (to take the heat off everyone else)!

3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't there some rules for how caution points can be reduced? I know Heaps hasn't had a card in a couple of games.

Kante is most at risk, particularly without Carlos to help him stay calm and well positioned.

I expect to see Cullen get significant minutes in the match, should we get a lead.

Brian

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well with LLamosa out for at least two games, probably more, those 4 guys need to play some heads up smart soccer. I would hate to have to play our next game with Kamler or Cullen starting in the back 4. Chances are one of those boneheads will get a card and screw things up.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    You have to figure Dallas knows this, and with their future already decided why not make it worth someone else's while to try and get under the skin of one of these Revolution players?

If I were Steve Nicol I'd go out of my way to tell these players to be smart, not retaliate, and to turn the other cheek of provoked.

The Magpie

6. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Provocation is not likely to be a problem. Three very fast attackers racing past your backline will be the problem. If you remember last time in Dallas, Ed Johnson forced Kante to card himself out of the game by consistently beating him with speed. This time, it will be Johnson, Nhelko, and Curtis, all of whom are probably faster than any member of your backline.

So if Nicol is going to do any counseling it probably ought to be against "professional" fouling which usually gets called (and carded) when it's against the home team.

7. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian. Hall.

:( :(

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I doubt that Dallas could care less about the Revs picking up yellow cards - their only motivation will be to play well to secure jobs for the future and to win, because winning is more fun than losing.

I'd be amazed if Nicol doesn't constantly counsel such advice, regardless of the game or opponent. He seems to have made some impact with Franchino and Heaps, but not much with Pierce.

Kante, Llamosa (out) and Heaps pick up most of their cards pulling people down from behind. They'll have to play as though that isn't an option, although if someone is steaming in alone on Brown, you can bet they aren't going to keep their hands off.

The best way to protect the defense, which also was a great success in their first trip to Dallas in April, is to have full-out pressure on them in their own end, prevent them from running their offense and force turnovers around the area.

9. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    Brian Hall will do a good job and call the game TIGHT

Rev's will understand their yellow card situation and quickly mature, as they too are playing for jobs.

Backline will only be under pressure if midfield can't hold the ball (Cancela, & Co.), but is this a problem against Dallas ?

I predict 3-1 with NE on the way to playoffs :)

Beast_Ed

10. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you just type Brian Hall and tight in the same sentence?

:D

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    With all respect to Kevin the Hamburger Man:

"Oh, yesh, yesh..tight, tight as a tiger!"

[​IMG]

The Magpie

12. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX

You're right that NE should be able to dominate possession, but dominating possession is irrevelant (more or less) against the current tactics of the Burn. You'll be facing a guy, Nhelko, you haven't seen before with the Burn. He is very fast, very big, and very strong on the ball (if he could finish, he'd be the next Diallo). Whether it is from the midfield or from the backline we'll be sending every turnover you make directly to him while Curtis and Johnson race like mad up the wings. That's our whole offense, and it's been pretty effective the last few games since Clarke took over. I believe it has been the first time all season we've scored multiple goals in consecutive games.

Our backline is bad enough to pretty much guarantee you the game, but you will be attacked with speed and frequency. I don't think you get out of this game without the cards we've been talking about, unless you decide to take the night off like Chicago did two weeks ago.