Revs ve. ManU; US vs. Spain

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by shanary, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Bradman

Bradman Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    @ rkrupp

2007 and 2008 season number through FEB 17 ONLY.
    http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/58257
    Include Full and Partial Season Ticket Packages.
    ----------------------------Club 2008 2007 Change

This is full AND partial. I don't think the Revs should give away Man U tickets to "6 pack" holders. So, high estimate 4K total season ticket holders, generous 50/50 split means 2k FULL season tickets and I still would say that is high.

And you didn't really answer why KC, Seattle, and Chicago can do it and we can't, particularly KC and Chicago with limited seating. Unlike Chi or KC the Revs are NOT calling for a midweek sellout meaning 15K empty seats. Why not do the right thing, fill 2K empty and unused seats and reap parking, food, and drink rather than pi$$ of the few dedicated fans?

Bradman - 1
    rkrupp - 0

;)

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Bob's right. Bilello said they've sold over 5,000 full season tickets. They're still working on the packages and all that stuff, but said those numbers would also be higher than last year. So unless they're lying ... the number Bob used is correct.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I did answer why Seattle can do it (they sell a ton of tickets for their MLS games, so presumably they're getting a lot more revenue from that).

As for KC and Chicago, I don't know, but someone from the Revs said that part of the reason is because some other teams charge more for season tickets (I don't know if that applies to KC or Chicago - I'll leave that for someone else to check).

And, it's not a matter of can or can't. Any of the teams "can", the Revs chose not to this time. Seems to me that last year there were friendlies that people complained about because they didn't want them included. Whatever you do, some people are going to like it and some aren't.

It would be better if they included this game, I understand that it's breaking a precedent that they include games the Revs participate in. That said, I'm somewhat mollified by the discount, the free parking and the opportunity to be first in line at 9:01am on Monday to pick my seats.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Maybe the money from a jersey sponsor would have applied to giving STH's free tickets to this game.

5. Bradman

Bradman Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Actually Bob's right. Bilello said they've sold over 5,000 full season tickets. They're still working on the packages and all that stuff, but said those numbers would also be higher than last year. So unless they're lying ... the number Bob used is correct.

Dammit! I am not sure I believe they doubled their FULL STH in 3 years with decreasing buzz and results, but....fine

Bradman: 0
    Krupp: 0

Still can't give a piont for defending the Krafts on the Man U stiff but I will wave off my goal. And his last post was pretty reasonable.

:(

6. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago will be at Soldier Field not Toyota Park.

7. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm over it now. Not particulary pleased that I have to drop almost 1/2 the price of season tickets for one match, but when it's all said and done this is probably the biggest friendly in Revs history. I did express my disappoint with my ticket rep.

It will do wonders for the club as far as marketing. The discounted tix, presale and free parking do help. I think it was more principal on the failed PR to explain to STH before..even just dropping a hint that they were looking into a high profile friendly that may not be included in the season ticket package. Start some buzz and lay the ground work for fans not to be PO'd. To find out after when the official announcment was made was BS.

If it's included in 4pack or 6pack and gets more butts in the seats for other matches then it's a good thing. I do think they should try and line these things up earlier if possible to entice more folks to buy full seasons by including in the package.

Revs need to show up for this one. This is their real chance to show NE sports fans that they can at least hang with the big boys and win over some fans.. If they get slaughtered then the only thing the club gains is $$ that Kraft may or may not put back into it.

Attendance prediction for Man U game: 28.306
    If it were on a weekend add 10-15K

I do agree that with such a meak STH base, even if it were 5000 ,by not including this match might have done more harm then good to the loyal fan base. Word of mouth is so powerful that if folks heard it was a STH Benefit then they might consider joining the elite few Revs STHs club. Now that the match isn't it will be hard for some STHs to speak highly of the org. that yes brought in a high profile club for a friendly, but also made the loyal fans pay for it. It could have been a great sales tool. 5000 peaple talking to friends and family etc. about the game. Now it's a question of who should they invite or who makes the cut.

They could also have done buy 1 get yours free or something like that to encourage STHs to bring friends, sell tix, but reward the loyals.

8. risapres

risapres Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the pain of missing MANU I will stand on principle

Will not BUY
    If they do the same foe USA v Spain
    will not renew!

9. Jjksoccer8888

Jjksoccer8888 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs have no control over the USA game. They are merely a host venue. To hold that against the Revs is unfair.

10. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that would be stupid. The Revs have nothing to do with USA vs Spain, it's a purely USSF event.

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And no matter how many times we say that ... it doesn't seem to matter.

12. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What principle? That you do not want to pay for a game and you want it for free? I didn't think that this would be that big of a deal not including it with the season tickets. I have more of a problem with what they did with the Brazil/Revs DH a few years ago. They made that game 2 tickets that night. Which was a lot more backhanded than this game.

13. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly could of not said it better myself.

I'm still torn on going though. How often do the Revs play a team of this quality and name? hardly ever and I wouldn't want to miss the opportunity. But this whole situation has left a sour taste on my mouth and I'm sure many others as well. Free parking helps but I'm still on the fence.

You mentioned word of mouth and how powerful it is. How true. I have two friends who were on the verge of buying season tickets this year and they thought like many others that the Man U vs Revs were part of the package. Well when I told them it wasn't and you need to pay for the ticket, and they told me what's the point of season tickets then? They also said if that's how they treat their STH then why bother. So the Revs just lost two future season ticket holders and who knows how many other potential STH they lost.

14. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Have any recent USMNT matches been played as doubleheaders with MLS teams?

It's been awhile since that's been the case. I think US Soccer has recognized that the product can now stand alone and USSF can make a lot more $$ doing so. Why share the wealth with MLS unless the opponent is very weak? Thus most MLS clubs can't offer these games as part of the season ticket package anymore. Maybe it's happened recenlty, but I can't recall.

Gold Cup and even friendlies now are considered much more high profile than even 3-5 yrs ago.

USSF has recently done a decent job of organizing solid competition. With that we have seen much higher ticket prices. This will hopefully translate to more WC success.

The question is which would the US fans rather see.
    Weaker competition and lower ticket prices that have provided victories or

stronger competition and high ticket prices that have recently translated into loses.

I prefer the latter for the overall big picture is to prep for the WC. I'll pay the money on it's own as it's only a 1-2 special event each year. I'm just glad Foxboro is staying in the mix for venues.

15. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take that for every game that is not a Gold Cup game or qualifier.

16. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    After this season I will definitely re-evalute my the season ticket situation. With the possiblity of future Int'l matches at Gillette,Fenway, Rentshler,RBA and Giants stadium my $$ might be better spent towards those and attending select Revs games.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacre vache!

I could save this quote on my clipboard and use it for, well, pretty much every thread. Let's see, signing good mid-career pros from foreign leagues, doing the bare minimum of marketing 101, understanding how just a slight bit of effort (even without substantive change) can placate the customer base, having the owner spend 10 minutes thinking about what he's gonna say before he goes on the radio.....

Yes, other teams have chosen to do a lot of things, and it shows in their off-field success. Strong attendance, a certain level of buzz, even for a niche sport, and growing profitability.

"Yeah, I could have done that, but I chose not to" :rolleyes: