revs v eagles (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by peabrainedidiot, Mar 13, 2010.

1. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    revs v eagles

mansally ans zack hit the net, Coluca with an assist.....

I'm very happy with the way this game sounds.

we've been hearing zack is fitting in. this sounds like a confirmation. Mansally- I've been worried he'd never turn the corner. And coluca made an impact.
    Granted it's only one game, but it's good to see these types of guys making a mark. I'm feeling optimistic. even if I'm only fooling myself, I'm happy.

2. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "They were amazing," said Eagles goalkeeper Corbin Waller. "The margin of error against them is pretty small. Every time we made a mistake (on defense) they either got a shot on goal or scored. That we played as well as we did against them is pretty encouraging for our season."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/14/1312537/mls-players-may-strike.html

I like the sound of that. (Also, lol at the URL)

3. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crap! I thought history was written by the victors. :confused:

4. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Competitive Minutes: Revs 2010 Preseason (After Game 3)
    270 Emmanuel Osei - 1 GOAL
    255 Kheli Dube - 1 GOAL, 1 ASSIST
    240 Shalrie Joseph - 1 GOAL, 2 ASSISTS
    229 Zack Schilawski - 2 GOALS, 1 ASSIST
    195 Chris Tierney
    194 Sainey Nyassi - 1 GOAL, 1 ASSIST
    180 Preston Burpo - 1.00 GAA
    146 Kevin Alston
    138 Kenny Mansally - 2 GOALS
    135 Cory Gibbs - 1 GM INJ
    124 Darrius Barnes - 1 GM INJ
    120 Pat Phelan
    120 Mike Videira
    120 Seth Sinovic*
    106 Zak Boggs*

90 Bobby Shuttleworth - 0.00 GAA
    86 Nico Colaluca - 1 ASSIST
    60 Joseph Niouky
    60 Marko Perovic*
    45 Khano Smith
    27 Mauricio Castro - 2 GMS INJ
    15 Gareth Williams*
    11 Gabriel Badilla - 2 GMS INJ
    4 Andres Raad*
    0 Matt Reis - 3 GMS INJ
    0 Taylor Twellman - 3 GMS INJ
    0 Edgaras Jankauskas - 3 GMS INJ
    0 Rylan Hawkins*
    *=Unsigned
    CONCLUSIONS
    1. Osei leads the team in minutes. Is Gibbs really battling with im for the spot beside Barnes?
    2. Is Tierney our surefire starter at left back? He seems to be winning out over Sinovic.
    3. Why did Raad only get 4 minutes? It seems like it would be hard to get a creative attacker acclimated at that point.
    4. Sinovic and Boggs, will they be signed? Most likely me thinks. Both.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is definitely positive. A year ago we lost to Austin from the same division, 3-0 (IIRC) so a win is a win. Nice to see Schilawski get on the board and bury one, same for Mansally. Confidence is HUGE for strikers, so even if it's a D-2 team, this is encouraging, especially given their goalie's reaction to our attack.

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A review of post match posts demonstrates that many Rev fans show evidence of Manic-Depressive Disorder

7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Jank has yet to see the field this spring?
    The Revo made a mistake bringing him back. He gave ample evidence last season that his wheels are gone. He's a savvy player, I like his game.
    He was worth the gamble last year, but come on, he's finished.

8. beryl420

beryl420 Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Hartford
    Or intellectual honesty.

You like the trialists to get more opportunity to slide into the line-up in order to better evaluate them. A few minutes here, a few minutes there must make it tough to properly evaluate them.

However, with just two weeks until first kick, tough to prep the team and trial three players

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's out after have been cleated in the leg--not with any of the troubles he suffered last year.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, you're just e-psychoanalyzing us through your koolaid drinkin' cynical conspiracy theorist lens doc :D ;)

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice long post game report now up on the Rev Blog. Lots of remarks on individual players. Sure got my juices going.

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i refuse to get excited over a win over a team this far beneath the Revs. It means nothing and i think we should be looking for harder competition

13. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the result people are excited about.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    1. Osei will be there in central defense when the season opens.

2. Gibbs will play central if they need him, otherwise on the left. Tierney/Sinovic battle for 2nd options at left back.

3. I suspect that Raad is an interesting prospect for the developmental roster. What I can glean from his background is that he's played college soccer in Quito - I haven't heard of any pro experience.

4. I think Sinovic is a good bet, Boggs somewhat less. It will probably depend on whether they are willing to take developmental spots.

As for the game, in pretty challenging conditions - slick field, 30 minute interruption - it sounds like the Revs did what they should have done; solid victory with plenty of scoring opportunities.

15. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of joining the ranks of the NNN, the paragraph in the post game article that got most of my attention was the one that pointed out that half of our preferred starting line up did not play due to injury.

Either we have finally found the depth in the roster that we have long dreamed of or we are royally screwed.

16. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you really put Badilla and Castro in our preferred starting lineup?

17. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those getting excited about preseason games results and players performance. I will say this the 2008 Detroit Lions looked awesome in the preseason went 4-0. Players played well. The defense gave up 8 pts a game. The offense moved the ball well. Oh yeah they preceded to become the first team to go 0-16.

18. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think many here understand the relevance of a preseason game. I don't care much about the scoreline. I look to see how the team is passing, who is getting chances, where Nicol is positioning the guys. The passing seems crisp, Shilawaski is getting opportunities, as well as Dube, and the lineup seems to be what we expected. I'm not saying we are going to be Supporter Shield winners but I don't think we are going to be a 30 point team.

19. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castro yes. He showed very well in the few games that he played last year. Very dangerous crossess and good with the ball IIRC. Badilla, who knows, we haven't really seen him perform - so give him 1/2. That gives us 5 1/2 starters on the bench. :p

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I look at it a bit differently. I'd like to see up play better competition for that reason, because you can pass as perfectly as possible when you're playing a lower-tier team, but those same passes won't be so easily available when you're playing a team that's as good (or better) than you ... and you need to learn how to work against those.