Revs-Scum postgame [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by nsa, Oct 18, 2003.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    So let me get this straight:

* The Revolution are guaranteed to finish with a winning percentage greater than .500 for the first time in the team's eight-year history.

* Should the Revolution win next weekend in their final regular season match, they'll tie the franchise record of most points with 45 (2000 Revs team).

* The Revolution still have a shot to claim the overall league scoring title, only trailing Chicago by one goal with the Fire have 51 on the season to the the Revolution's 50. That being said, the Revs also stand a shot to tie or surpass the all-time club record of total goals scored,set back in thre 1998 season when the Revs scored 53 goals.

* Pat Noonan when factoring in yesterday evening's performance, currently has more points (20) that any Metrostars player.

* Even more impressive about Pat Noonan is his production when compared to leading Rookie of the Year candidate Damani Ralph. The Chicago forward currently has 11 goals and 6 assists for a total of 28 points, this while Noonan currently has 7 goals and 6 assists for a total of 20 points. What is intersting is that while Noonan has played in more games than Ralph, he's played some 409 total minutes less than his Fire counterpart, a difference of some 4 and 1/2 total games. He's also achieved these numbers through a total of only 39 shots, this while Ralph has fired off 91. Noonan has also yet to be cautioned this season

* At present and by virtue of +/-, the Revolution currently sit 3rd overall in the League.

Wow...

The Magpie

2. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I thought in Revs vs Metros' game Brad Feldman said this was the first time Revs went over 50? Did I misundertand him or?

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I also believe I heard Brad say this was the first time over 50 goals, but that's certainly not the case. The Revolution registered 53 goals for during the 1998 season, this when Raul Daiz Arce lead all scorers for New England with 18 goals. Granted, two of the teams total goals were own-goals received, but that would still give the Revs 51 on the season.

4. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Kante fell asleep for a moment and let Juskowiak get open on the inside. Kante did well to recover, but Juskowiak made a fantastic cutback that only Pierce (if Rusty was defending the move, that is) could've challenged. After Kante's momentary lapse, he didn't stand a chance on the play. A beautiful finish.
    It's no secret that Fabbro has a great touch.. but I'm not sure he actually got his foot on the ball, or if the opposing player 'helped' it in.

On that note, I must say that Fabbro played nothing like the "cone" that I previously labeled him as. His touch fit in very well with Noonan's runs, and Dario's ability to get into space and make deft distributions to swarming teammates - well, Fabbro definitely looked like he "belonged" instead of his previous "deadweight" performances. And with Bagley coming on as a virtual unkown.. it does make it awfully difficult for opposing coaches to draw up appropriate game plans when there are so many variables.

The momemtum (as I told Brown and Joseph when I talked with them in Dallas) has come at a perfect time. The cohesiveness that has been shown throughout the lineup is very welcome, and it comes at such a critical time (especially considering all the key injuries) going into the playoffs. I believe that any team has the potential to go far into the playoffs when they go on a hot streak four games away from playoff season.

I'm just glad it's the Revs that are doing just that.

5. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is soooo over for Mathis. Arena keeps giving him chances and he does nothing. Now he's doing nothing in league play. I think he better get a new haircut.

6. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    IMHO, it looked like Kante lost track of Juskowiak in order to play a 'back up' roll to whoever was covering the guy with the ball. Rusty was trailing the play and didn't close hard to cover Juskowiak. That second worth of being unmarked was all they needed. I think Kante just made a poor decision relative to who to cover, not that he fell asleep.

Overall, a great result. We had some great passing, good control (totally lost that in the last couple minutes though) and a 'sound enough' defense. When you consider we were missing what we would have considered our top three or four attacking players (Twellman, JMM, C. Brown and Cancela, though some might argue with JMM), and three of our key defensive players (A Brown, Franchino and Lamosa) and won on the road that is unbelievable!!

Here's to hoping people get healthy quickly and that the experience their backups are getting now make us less susceptible to injuries/suspensions as we go forward. I was particularly happy to see a left defender with speed. Not sure that ML has supplanted JF there yet, but it makes for a nice option.

Also, as far as 'season records' go...the number of regular season games has varied a bit over time, making comparison interesting. However, the FIRST TIME IN FRANCHISE HISTORY FINISHING OVER .500 IS BOTH AMAZING AND DEPRESSING AT THE SAME TIME. Hats off to the team and its coach. Nicol has backed up a tremendous run at the end of last year with a strong season this year.

7. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    We have received 2 own goals this year as well (maybe three, if Fabro's was really an own goal last Saturday). We have also given up 2 own goals, and have figured in 4 of the five own goals in MLS this season. Very odd.
    From MLSnet.com

OWN GOALS RECEIVED
    DATE REC TM OFF TM MIN PLAYER
    04/19/2003 KC 1 at SJ 1 74 Pat Onstad
    05/03/2003 SJ 2 at NE 0 42 Carlos Llamosa
    05/31/2003 NE 2 vs KC 2 44 Jimmy Conrad
    06/28/2003 NE 3 vs COL 2 84 Wes Hart
    07/12/2003 MET 3 at NE 3 73 Daouda Kante

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I taped the game and watched the Fabbro goal several times, and I still can't tell. He just stuck out his foot, and it looks like he connected, but Forchetti came in and kicked at the same time. Forchetti may have got ball or he may have got Fabbro's foot, there isn't a clear view.

On the NY goal, Leonard was covering Lisi on the wing, when he slipped and fell down. That allowed Lisi to make the centering pass where Kante got turnstyled.

Noonan was easily MOTM.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I believe that is our third straight game without a yellow card!

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding the Jolley incident:

Matt Reis went up and grabbed a high ball away from Jolley, with Leonard right there as well. Jolley came down on Leonard's foot and twisted his ankle. As he was limping away, Reis was running forward to put the ball back in play and gave Jolley a little shove in the back. Jolley turned back towards Reis, and if my lip reading skills are OK, said "What the f--- was that for?" Leonard then stepped between them. Eventually Reis punted the ball out of bounds so Jolley could get medical attention.

Reis may have just been trying to get around Jolley when he pushed him, but it looked uncalled for to me.

11. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, there have only been 2 cards at all in those three games.

Which reminds me, is it time to revive the 'Let's cap Rusty' discussions? The Revs' defense is still a lot better with him than without; his disciplinary record is at worst in line with the other MLS based candidates for central defense roles, and his distribution looks to be improving. Saturday night he made several long clears out of defense that went to a white shirt, and the recipient of the pass actually had a chance to keep posession.

An interesting factoid about about Pierce and fouling: he's one of only two central defenders in MLS who have been fouled more than they've fouled others (Jeff Agoos is the other).

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think Jolley probably bumped Reis a little bit on the high ball - or maybe Reis thought he did. At any rate, I think it was just Reis playing a little mind game.

I think in recent games, teams have been going after Pierce to try and set him off. Even when he hasn't retaliated, he's had that look in his eye that if the whistle hadn't come quickly enough ...

13. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Pierce getting fouled as often as he fouls isn't a recent thing. It's pretty much been his career average.

14. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001

nope.

15. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In general yes, there is also an interesting trend in that his ratio of fouls committed to fouls suffered has gone down every year. It was 1.2:1 as a rookie, then 1.1:1, 1:1 last year and .89:1 so far this year.

Not hugely significant, naturally, but it's nice to have a defender who gives the ball away on free kicks less often then he takes it away.

16. Pedro Rondon H de Sá

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jan 13, 2014
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MetroStars vs. New England Revolution | October 18, 2003

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I've been on this board way too long.

18. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Agreed - this was like opening a time capsule!

I miss the number of active participants that we used to have, but definitely cherish those that are still here and keeping at it! This lil' website has got a good chance to outlive Twitter/X.

rkupp, patfan1, pwykes and 1 other person repped this.
  19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree... and sadly we've lost a couple of people that used to post here as well.

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely were some characters posting here. Made for good banter. Miss SoccerDoc for sure

rkupp, BERich, pwykes and 1 other person repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doc was always the most optimistic about the Revs and MLS. When he'd argue that the Krafts are "sportsmen" and really do care about building a winning team, even if it costs a lot of money, I would always think, "I hope you are right, but I fear I may be right."

He used to say that if MLS had an IPO, he would buy as much stock as he could. He was right about that.

pwykes and NFLPatriot repped this.
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And he said he made the, what 10 hour each/way, round trip to come to Revs games, even though legally blind?

BrianLBI and pwykes repped this.