Revs news, 2/15

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Beez, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely love these two lines:
    and
    Heh. :D

3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wow, people must be in shellshock from the snow. We FINALLY get some news about a trialist, and there is zero discussion about it and him.

I expected to already see a thread 3 pages long - and there is only Monty's astute and humorous observation of Deportivo Wanka (which I love by the way)

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, great that they brought in a guy who was good enough to be capped by a South American team and played in a bunch of World Cup qualifyers. He may not be the next Carlos Ruiz, but at least they are giving him a chance.

But before the Shiny Happy People Brigade goes off on a "see, I tole ya so" tirade that the Revs are too doing something to bring in new players, notice the fact that he sent his CV to the Revs. If he turns into a good signing, it is because he contacted them, not because they were scouting players and found him.

Just like Abundis--his agent was originally trying to set him up with LA, Chivas and Dallas, but because of their personnel situations, the league suggested they try New England.

But let's not get negative here. I hope "Loverita" shows the love to everyone but opposing defenders!:D

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thanks. :cool:

The reason I didn't get all that excited though was this quote by Nicol.

Doesn't sound too enthusiastic does he?

6. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my favorite part of the article is:
    LET THE PLAYERS COME TO ME, SO SAYITH STEVE NICOL

7. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    Behind the scenes of the Revs tryouts. Really neat journal by UMass Lowell player Christian Figueroa, about his tryout with the Revs.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5'9, 159 pounds, thats about all I can find on the guy without understanding spanish

9. hootie

hootie New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    If there were more $$ in the budget, I know for a fact the Rev's would be more proactive about going out and scouting players.

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see their budget compaired to the other teams in the league, I bet it is not that far off.

11. Jeff Bull

Jeff Bull Member

Portland Timbers (...and FC Cincinnati)
    France
    May 24, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is mostly for firstshirt, who seems to share my limitations where it comes to the Spanish language. On my way to trying to figure out who this cat is (and I never learned much), I came across a free translation site. You just copy/paste the relevant text, set the languages, and, voila, you've got your "gisted translation."

Honestly, it's killer.:)

As for the potential of the move, I didn't catch the Nicol quote till just now - no, he doesn't sound all that stoked, does he. Still, as argued here, the Revs do need the cover at forward.

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put a post on the Peruvian abroad board, maybe that will generate some info on the guy from folks that have seen him play

13. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Didn't see it anywhere before, but there was a Clint Dempsey interview on World Soccer Daily for the 12th, not too shabby.

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to it. Not bad, only talked about moving to England and adjusting. Didn't talk about MLS.

15. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not take the money the Revs got from the sale of Demspey and put it into scouting/ player development/ youth system? This could turn into something cyclical. Scout identifies talent. Talent blossoms in MLS with Revs or at the Revs youth academy. Player attracts international attention. Player transfers and Revs make some money. Money goes back into scouting and player development.

Team payroll is under $2M. What did the Revs get for the Dempsey transfer? I would imagine that it is a large portion of the payer payroll.

16. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you think they paid for his flight? or did they make him take the merchant ship "Sueno de America" around Cape Horn..a 3 month ocean voyage??

17. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Now there's an idea. We can hire other teams in the MLS as scouts for the Revs. Think of the money we'll save! They can't hire the people they find because they've already found players so they send us the overflow to us. Brilliant! :rolleyes: