Revs news, 12/23: Hernandez in the fold

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Beez, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    It's official. From the team:

Foxborough, Mass. - The New England Revolution announced today that the team has re-signed veteran midfielder/defender Daniel Hernandez. Per MLS and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. The team also added to its coaching staff, hiring Gwynne Williams as the team’s goalkeeper coach.

The team also announced that Hernandez had successful adductor release surgery on his right groin on Wednesday, Dec. 20. Revolution head team physician Betram Zarins, M.D., performed the procedure; Hernandez's expected recovery time is six weeks.

The 2007 season will be the fifth that Hernandez has been part of the New England’s roster.

Hernandez started the first five games of the 2006 season for New England - including the first two as a central defender in the three-man backline - before suffering a complex ankle injury that sidelined him for 25 games and resulted in surgery. He appeared in the final two games of the regular season and all four postseason games as a central midfielder, starting three, including the MLS Cup 2006 match against Houston.

Hernandez entered MLS with the L.A. Galaxy before moving on to play for the Tampa Bay Mutiny and the MetroStars. He came to the Revolution on May 24, 2002 as part of a six-player trade with the MetroStars, and played in New England until April of 2003, when he joined Mexican Primera División team Necaxa. After a successful stint in Mexico, Hernandez rejoined the Revs in August 2005. He has started for New England in all three of the club’s MLS Cup finals appearances.

Williams joins the Revolution coaching staff after 11 seasons on the staff of NAIA soccer powerhouse Lynn University in Florida. He is a NSCAA National Goalkeeping Instructor and is a member of the USSF National Coaching Staff. Williams' coaching experience also includes working on the staffs of the Canadian Soccer Association and Bermuda Football Association. Williams holds a USSF "A" coaching license and earned a bachelor of education from London University.

"Gwynne is an excellent addition to our technical staff," Revolution head coach Steve Nicol said. "He has a first-rate reputation and great experience coaching goalkeepers. We've seen him work and we know our players will improve and stay sharp from training with him on a daily basis. Gwynne will help Matt (Reis) and the rest of our goalkeepers better themselves and raise their level even higher."

2. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Not surprised. Can't believe there was much interest in Hernandez elsewhere.

Goalkeeper coach? - I think Reese has figured that that position out.

How about some NEW PLAYERS ?

3. nedigital

nedigital Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Mass
    At worst, he's a viable d-mid who can help Larentowicz continue to develop. He's solid, if nothing else.

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention with Joseph most likely leaving we have no one in the d-mid spot who can pass (although I think Danny is our best passer at the d-mid position).

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    see.... now I feel better about next season. :) problems solved:rolleyes:

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey what do you want? You wanted information---you got information---not much but it is a signing.

Now look at DCU---Donnet, Adu, Rimando, Eskandarian out with no one signed as replacements. OH MY GOD---there going to be in big trouble. :rolleyes:

7. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Doug and Matt seemed to have some strong skills in the GK spot, don't know why we need someone to train 'em. Good that we've kept a hold of Danny H. I don't think he's a superstar, but next year is gonna be an awkward year so it's good we've got someone with experience.

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably cause the current Goalkeeper coach left.

9. jw

jw Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hernandez news has been out for awhile. Now we are getting the official line. I predict the next news release will be something like: "The New England Revolution announce that it is official, Houston has defeated the Revolution in the 2006 MLS Cup Final."

Ahhhh, the glacial speed of our front office. :D

10. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be that they want someone to train T.J. Tomasso so that they can have him be Matt's replacement (or at least Warren's).

11. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Really? Who was it? Where'd he go? Last GK coach I remember was Murph-ball who's with Clavijo now, but I don't recall who ours was.

12. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    David Vanole...kinda, I seem to remember he wasn't around much for the second half of the season.

Either way a GK coach is pretty essential not just for "training" the goalies but for helping out in practices and game warmups, cause goalies don't exactly don't do the same stuff as field players in practice.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Reis has done very well this past season, but there's no reason to think that he's reached the limits of his potential.

As for Warren, from what I've seen, he needs plenty of work.

14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    But DC was quoted as saying they had to make the Esky move because they had some big moves ready to sign. So, if I was a DC fan, I would at least be thinking...they clearly have a plan, and are proactively doing the things they need to do to make their team the best it can be.

As a Rev fan, given the time it takes for us to get anyone into our camps, and with zero news or rumors, it is hard for us to compare what is happeing in DC and what happens to us.

15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Vanole was the last official goalkeeper coach, but then I thought he mentioned something about stepping down.

I have seen my former college coach Pete Simonini from Bentley patrolling the sidelines still this year (even though he officially stepped down from the role a couple of years ago) - he was even at MLS Cup because you could see him going nuts on TV when Twellman scored.

Whether he is involved this coming year is unknown, so maybe this signing is a signal for some stability in the goalkeeper coach.

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? It's all ASSUMPTION and HYPOTHETICAL. I want FACTS about what is being done by the Revs and we have none. Ergo, we know nothing. :D

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which happens to be where we wind up at the end of each season as well.

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you see them raise that nice Crystal Trophy after they won their third ECC in 5 years? ;)

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 years of almost but not quite good enough

20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Now you are pulling a Feldman (just arguing for the sake of arguing). ;)

Clearly DC has some major moves to announce regarding players coming in, they would not have made the trades they have made unless it was so, and they have been quoted as saying that.

The Revs may be proactively scouting, although Nicol has been quoted as saying he is waiting till after the Draft. Just trying to throw people off? Who knows. Are they waiting for Jan window to confirm that Dempsey and Joseph are both gone? Have we heard anything regarding Noonan resigning?

Our team is at a huge crossroads. And you are exactly right - we know Nothing.

Our seasons are pretty predictable - where January rolls around and everyone says "I hope the Revs are doing something" then for the next 3 months we all say "Okay, I'll pass judgement once Mar 31 comes and goes" and then everyone says "Well, maybe we can wait until August to see if we get anyone", and then August comes and goes and we say "Jee I wonder when Unknown player X will finally get into a game", and then the season ends, and we all say "We did not renew Unknown Player X's contract", and then January rolls around and we all say "I hope the Revs are doing something".

And IMO - we have zero trophies.

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the Sox Team wins the Pennent it's a big deal.
    When the Pats wins their Conference it's a big deal
    When the Revs win the ECC it's a big deal.
    In each case of these sports their trophy case has something added
    Of course in each case there is also one step above that--World Series, Super Bowl and MLS Cup but because they have won the top trophy doesn't remove the fact that they have won a Championship and a trophy prior to going to the big dance.

I want the Revs to win the MLS Cup. I also rejoice that they have won the ECC three out of the last 5 years and their only losses in the ECC and MLS Cups have been by one goal or PK/s.

This team has been right there each of the past 5 years. The constant carping on what has or hasn't been added each year always ignores the fact that the Revs have been on average the strongest finishing team in MLS for the past 5 years and the coaching staff didn't seem to think much tinkering with the roster was required. Many posters here disagree but the fact remains, the Revs consistant high finish seems to support the coaching staffs decisions to not make major changes.

This year could very well be a different story. I'm interested to see just how this offseason plays out,

22. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the above with the addition of ---MAY BE---in the third statement,

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, talk about a bad comparison. First of all, when you win your conference or pennant in those two sports, you can actually say you're better than either 26 (baseball) or 30 (football) teams. In MLS, one of the three years we won the conference, we could officially say we were better than 8 teams! Woohooo!!

In regards to baseball, it's a series, it's not just a one game and out (or two games and out potential).

In football, you can't lose a game. You lose, you're out. Show me one time the Revs have won all their games in the playoffs, and then I'll concede that the comparison is valid.

BTW, another reason the comparison is invalied, the Pats don't mind playing in the snow. The Revs don't mind playing in the Bahamas. :p

:D

24. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing invalid about my comparisons. The operative word in the discussion was ---WIN---. You and others are saying we never won anything when in fact we have three crystal trophys for---winning---the ECC. . A team can win at different levels. We have won the ECC. We want to win MLS Cup. When we do that we will want to win the CCC and when we win that we will want to win the FIFA World Club Championship.

If you want to discuss order of maginitude it's a separate discussion.

25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, theres not much else to do and if you think I'm going to let Monty off the hook for being such a nattering nabob you better not hold your breath, :D

For those who don't know where the term a nattering nabob of negativism came from here is a bit of trivia:
    "Nattering nabobs of negativism" is one of the most popular turns of phrase associated with U.S. Vice President Spiro T. Agnew, who served under Richard Nixon until resigning in October 1974, after pleading no contest to charges of tax fraud. Agnew, who had a particularly acrimonious relationship with the press, used this term to refer to the members of the media, whom he also deemed "an effete corps of impudent snobs."

According to the Congressional Record, this term was first used during Agnew's address to the California Republican state convention in San Diego on September 11, 1970. In context, it was used together with another well-known Agnew alliteration: "In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H Club -- the "hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history."

Although this phrase is often credited to Agnew himself, it was actually written by William Safire, the legendary columnist for The New York Times, who was a speechwriter for Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew. Some of Agnew's other pearls were actually written by Patrick Buchanan, another White House speechwriter at the time.