Revs News, 11/5: Baker Gone?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Nov 5, 2004.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Saving grace: Goalkeeper Reis has made the most of his opportunity with the Revolution
    By Frank Dell'Apa, Globe Staff | November 5, 2004
    http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2004/11/05/saving_grace/

Cancela regroups after slow start
    By Gus Martins, Boston Herald
    Friday, November 5, 2004
    http://sports.bostonherald.com/soccer/view.bg?articleid=52669

Nicol preps for hostile environment
    By Gus Martins/ Revolution Notebook
    Friday, November 5, 2004
    http://sports.bostonherald.com/soccer/view.bg?articleid=52668

Baker on way back for Shels
    Ireland Online, 11/5/2004 - 08:28:01
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story.asp?j=123175820&p=yz3y765z6&t=soccer

and here...

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/latestnews.php#97

2. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  3. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    You know, I always love to see Cancela's quotes. What a professional and a class act. I hope we have him back for next season. Wasn't he hurt for a lot of September, or was that only a rumor?

4. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had a foot injury. But afterwards, he wasn't slotted into the starting lineup til after a few games, which arose this "controversy".

5. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this would have to be one of my (if not the #1) complaint I have about Nicol. While I am sure that there is a certain amount of gamesmanship that goes with not publicly discussing players knocks and bumps, this is clearly one of the downsides. While Cancela may have been on the bench to help heal a nagging (or niggling) knock, we end up speculating that somehow Cancela was in the doghouse or that Baker (insert another name if you wish) is lazy or losing his touch.

Would it be so terrible to at some point publicly mention that a particular player was resting or healing or whatever and that is why he sat out?

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While your position is valid from a fans perspective there is also another way of looking at this---by not saying what he's thinking and what player is healthy or not a coach keeps the other teams coach guessing right up until the match. While we fans have an interest in knowing whats going on, it's the coaches job to make the absolute best use of every tool and trick he has to gain an advantage over the other team. Holding all team info close to the vest is one of those tools.

7. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    It is also called cheating.

Every week, each MLS team, just like each NFL team, releases a list of injured players/playing status.

To not follow the rules is not gamesmanship, a tool or a trick. It is cheating.

Those are the rules. The very same rules that allows the team that was tied for the worst in the league to get into the playoffs via tiebreakers.

Can't have it both ways there, Doc. Unless you are an advocate of not following the rules. :eek:

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As usual Frank you have a very limited grasp of reality. There is a huge difference between a player that is sufficiently injured that he can't play or is questionable and a player, like MOST PLAYERS once the season is underway that is nursing an injury. Most players play right through these injuries and are never listed as "Questionable" or "Probible"--in most cases the injury is never mentioned. No one ever said that Pepe had a significant injury--what was said--after the fact-- was that he was nursing a minor foot injury. Is that the reason why he wasn't playing? I doubt it---but thats something for the coach to know and for the other teams coach to guess and for us fans to speculate.

9. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    The injury list is pretty clear - Out, Doubtful, Questionable, listed during a certain day each week. Teams can be fined if they are caught lying. Which is cheating.

If someone has fallen out of favour or is not completely fit on matchday in the coach's eyes, then that is the coach's decision. But if the player falls into one of those catagories on the day that the league list is done then they belong on the list, or it is cheating.

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what I said.

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Untrue. NHL teams are notorious for doing this. A lot of teams claim a player is listed injured for a different reason then how they really are injured (ex., a player could be listed as having a sprained knee but actually has a sprained wrist).

I haven't read it in the rulebooks that a team can get fined for not listing players injured. In fact, the only rules that MLSnet have about injured players are those of the injured reserve (Moore and Llamosa) and replacement players. I don't get how not claiming a player to be injured is cheating. If the guy is not playing because he either has a knock or is in the doghouse, how is that considered cheating?

12. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Don't say something is "untrue" and then follow up by admitting 'you don't know the rules.' That only confirms ignorance of a topic.

MLS and NFL teams release weekly injury reports, and they are required to be truthful. So if they're not truthful when it is required, what would you call it?

Never seen one? Here it is, straight from MLSnet.com:

Injury Report
    Updated: 10/14/04
    Eastern Conference
    CHICAGO FIRE
    OUT: FW Ante Razov (R ankle bone spur); MD Logan Pause (R foot stress fracture); DOUBTFUL: MD Justin Mapp (R knee LCL sprain); QUESTIONABLE: MD Chris Armas (R knee surgery)

COLUMBUS CREW
    OUT: MD Ross Paule (post concussion symptoms); DF Stephen Herdsman (L groin strain)

D.C. UNITED
    OUT: FW Thiago Martins (L knee surgery)

METROSTARS
    OUT: MD Mark Lisi (R ankle sprain); DF Tenywa Bonseu (L Achilles tendon tear); DOUBTFUL: MD Michael Bradley (R foot stress fracture)

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
    OUT: GK Adin Brown (concussion); DF Carlos Llamosa (L knee sprain); FW Joe-Max Moore (R knee sprain); GK Kyle Singer (R shoulder sprain); DF Joe Franchino (R hip strain); DOUBTFUL: DF Steve Howey (R quad strain)

Western Conference
    COLORADO RAPIDS
    OUT: DF Joey DiGiamarino (concussion); DF Jeff Stewart (R knee); FW Zizi Roberts (R knee swelling); DOUBTFUL: FW John Spencer (R groin strain); MD Darryl Powell (R knee sprain); DF Gary Sullivan (L lower leg); QUESTIONABLE: FW Jean-Philippe Peguero (abdominal strain); PROBABLE: MD Seth Trembly (R ankle sprain)

DALLAS BURN
    QUESTIONABLE: MD Eric Quill (L hamstring strain); PROBABLE:DF Steve Jolley (R ankle sprain)

KANSAS CITY WIZARDS
    OUT: MD Chris Klein (L knee torn ACL); MD Preki (L ankle surgery); QUESTIONABLE: GK Tony Meola (R Achilles tendon strain); PROBABLE: FW Davy Arnaud (L MCL sprain)

LOS ANGELES GALAXY
    DOUBTFUL: DF Chris Aloisi (L knee MCL sprain); DF Hong Myung-Bo (L calf strain)

SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES
    OUT: DF Chris Roner (R ankle surgery); DF Eddie Robinson (L LCL sprain); QUESTIONABLE: DF Troy Dayak (R shoulder sprain); DF Jeff Agoos (lower back strain); PROBABLE: Craig Waibel (L hamstring strain)

13. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    The FULL MLS rulebook is far from public property. I think the NFL has a strict fine policy for concealing injuries and think it was the Patriots who lately got in (or at least near to) trouble for noncompliance?

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did I say that "i don't know the rules"?

15. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Indirect quotes, my boy.
    Here is your direct quote: "I haven't read it in the rulebooks that a team can get fined for not listing players injured."

Now read what Swedcrip34 wrote and you'll understand.

16. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the knowledge that i was able to acquire I had facts that MLS does not fine teams for not listing injured players, I didn't assume. That's what you did, you assume that MLS fines teams if they don't list injured players. Show me where in the All-Mighty Rulebook it says MLS fines teams for not listing injured players.