News: Revs II (USL-L1) 2020 (inaugural) season

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four straight wins for the JV team

Too bad there are no playoffs, the team is really hot right now. If they win out, as of now they have a mathematical chance of making it into the top two for the title game, but far too many things would have to go perfectly for that to happen.

It is also disappointing the season is what it is because there would have been chances (in theory, at least) to see some of these guys get minutes in Open Cup or League settings. I'd really like to see if any of the top performers for Revs II could make any kind of impact at the next level.

2. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think the season set up perfectly for these guys to get minutes in league games. The number of matches in such a short period of time should have been conducive to rotation, in order to ensure a high level of fitness. But, even playing every 3 days Bruce pretty much plays his same 11.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Will be curious to see how many other teams follow suit and have their reserve teams leave the USL structure. Was good that Revs finally hopped into L1

7. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs II played to a 1-1 draw in their last home game on Friday. They have been officially eliminated from postseason contention (the title game between the top two in the table) as Union Omaha defeated Greenville Triumph 2-1 on Sunday. They are eight points out of second place with only six points left up for grabs in their last two games. Still, after a rough start they have shown a lot of improvement, can finish with a winning record and could get as high as third depending on other results. Last two games are against South Georgia and Forward Madison, also eliminated teams who are just jockeying for spots in the final table along with Revs II. Of course, the ultimate sign of success for Revs II will be building legit first team contributors, but it has been a nice bonus to follow this team and watch its progress over the season.

dncm, NFLPatriot and BERich repped this.
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Agree, and I think that it's another sign of the overall competence of the current coaching group that they assembled a team from nothing and slowly built it into one of the premier teams in their league.

After their season wraps up, it will be interesting to see if any of them get time with the first team.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently one of the issues this year is that, due to Covid restrictions, players are not allowed to shuttle between MLS and USL. When the USL season ends, I assume there will be a quarantine period before they can rejoin MLS team.

rkupp repped this.
  10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There was a rumor circulating recently that MLS intends to re-launch its reserve league next year, which I would think means that all teams would drop out of the USL system.

12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think that is a terrible idea from MLS's perspective. Having them play in real meaningful games gets them a level of match sharpness that a reserve league doesnt provide, and increases the player's attractiveness to teams abroad. The driving force I could see is USL pitching a stink that teams like Seattle basically arent trying to compete and are instead playing essentially a u20 team in what is supposed to be a serious competition

rkupp and NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true, my guess would be it gets pushed out a year due to Covid.

Why would a few MLS teams (POR, ORL) announce now they are dropping from the USL after this season, instead of waiting for the all-MLS announcement?

14. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R2 final 2 games of the season, tonight and Saturday:

Revolution II Game Preview | New England vs. South Georgia Tormenta FC
    posted: October 20, 2020
    revolutionsoccer.net

15. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That doesn't seem to be the case.

MLS to launch reserves league beginning play in 2021, sources say

NFLPatriot repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! Without a subscription, I could only read the first part.

I found this video with some details. Not sure where he got his info.

Notes:
    - MLS teams not required to pull out of USL (at least 4 teams staying in USL-C)
    - MLS Reserves will be D3, primarily U-23, but MLS rehab options also
    - MLS announcement expected in the next few days

As of now, USL-L1 has 12 teams for 2021 (Orlando has pulled out, Rochester will be joining). Four of those are MLS owned clubs (NE, MIA, TOR, DAL).

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Money

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    There are most certainly pluses/minuses to each scenario.

I'd like to see more flexibility in moving players between the roster on a day-to-day basis (i.e., if a player didn't get much playing time in a game with one team, he could be added to the game-day roster for the other team). I think that would be more likely with an MLS reserve league.

OTOH, I think there's a lot of value in playing different teams with different styles. An MLS reserve league just feels more in-bred.

BERich repped this.
  19. FKA Epstein

FKA Epstein New Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 24, 2020
    Taking this down piece by piece.

The flexibility is already there. MLS teams are allowed four-day loans, and I believe it's also allowed up from USL, so in a normal year, the team would be allowed to make the choice as soon as they know.

The MLS reserve league is in-bred and will only lose out on money from ticket sales. Obviously, MLS is currently feeding around 2 million dollars into the USL system which they'd rather funnel through their own channels. I understand it from a business point of view. I don't get it from a world of self-created "training".

At this point, with the Development Academy folding, MLS decided hey, I can do that and created MLS Next so it's completely inbred now.
    MLS Next --> MLS Reserves ---> MLS
    I find that a bit unnerving, especially if the reserves league fails again.

20. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R2 finish the season in 9th place (of 11), 5W-8L-3D.

Recap | Revolution II drops season finale at Forward Madison FC, 2-1
    October 25, 2020
    10:07AM EDT
    revolutionsoccer.net

Rennicks scores his 4th goal in the loss, as a beautiful long pass from Rivera put him in alone on goal. Rennicks tied Firmino for the team lead in goals.

Omaha will face Greenville in the League One Final this Friday night.

rkupp repped this.
  21. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They played better as the season went along; always a good sign IMHO.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2020 USL League One Awards Finalists Unveiled
    By USLLeagueOne.com Staff

Firmino one of 4 finalists for League One "Young Player of the Year" Award, although it went to Chris Brady, GK, Forward Madison FC (on loan from Chicago Fire).