Revs Get Winston Griffiths & Sign Marshall Leonard

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Danizinho, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Revs Pick Former URI Standout Winston Griffiths off Waivers
    Team Signs Midfielder Marshall Leonard as Developmental Player;
    Trades 2003 SuperDraft Pick to San Jose Earthquakes to Clear Salary Cap

FOXBOROUGH, MA- The New England Revolution announced today two roster moves,
    picking up former University of Rhode Island standout Winston Griffiths off
    waivers and signing midfielder Marshall Leonard. In addition, the team
    traded a 2003 SuperDraft pick to the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for an
    undisclosed amount of salary budget relief that allows the Revolution to
    pick Griffiths.
    Griffiths, who was acquired by the L.A. Galaxy from the MetroStars
    in exchange for a conditional SuperDraft pick on April 20th, appeared in six
    games with the Galaxy, netting one goal for the Western Conference team.
    The 23-year-old midfielder made his MLS debut with the MetroStars on
    March 23rd in a 3-1 win over the Revolution. He played in three games for
    the Eastern Conference franchise. At the international stage, Griffiths has
    accumulated 26 caps as a member of the Jamaican National Team, and has
    scored four goals for the "Reggae Boyz." He played collegiately at the
    University of Rhode Island from 1998-99, leading the team to the Atlantic-10
    Conference regular season and tournament championships in 1999. He finished
    his career at URI with 42 points.
    Leonard, who was originally drafted by the Revs in the fourth round
    of the 2002 MLS SuperDraft, trained with Italian powerhouse Juventus F.C.
    for four months. The 23-year-old developmental player started in 89 games
    for the University of Virginia from 1998-2002.
    New for 2002, Major League Soccer has implemented a process whereby
    teams have the ability to acquire salary budget space in certain situations.
    When an MLS team has the right to make a signing to replace a player who is
    suffering a season-ending injury, the team may trade to receive salary cap
    room if it does not have cap room available. This process is available to
    all teams. In this case, the Revolution made the trade with San Jose in
    order to sign Griffiths, who is replacing injured forward Diego Serna.

#25 Winston Griffiths -Midfielder
    Height: 5-10 Weight: 160
    Born: September 12, 1978 - St. Elizabeth, Jamaica
    Hometown: Clarendon, Jamaica
    College: University of Rhode Island
    Last Club: Galaxy (MLS)

#22 Marshall Leonard -Midfielder
    Height: 5-7 Weight: 170
    Born: December, 19, 1980 - Midland, GA
    College: University of Virginia

TRANSACTION
    Soccer-MLS
    New England Revolution- Picks Winston Griffiths off waivers. Signs Marshall Leonard. Trades 2003 SuperDraft pick to San Jose for undisclosed amount of salary budget

2. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Oboy, here we go again...(getting a little dizzy now).

Any news on which 2003 pick they gave up or who they'll have to cut off the roster? Marshall will probably take a Developmental roster spot, but how about Griffiths (who will probably still take up a spot as a Transitional Iinternational)?

3. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like no one gets released

Judging by the release (which was actually on the Revs website before it was here...WOW), they don't have to lose anyone. Before this, they cut Semedo, replaced him with Kante. They also cut Powers, and just replaced him with Leonard. Now they've traded the draft pick (no idea how good a pick they gave up, probably not much of one, though) to San Jose for salary-cap space, signed Griffiths, and he'll take Serna's spot, since Serna is out for the season. Am I reading it right?

4. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I still don't think that we get a spot for Serna. BTW, since we're signing Griffiths, does anyone have any info on how much longer Kamler (or Pierce, for that matter) will be out for?

5. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on the draft pick, it seems like a solid move. Griffiths can play, if given the opportunity. Hopefully, he grasps the concept that if you're on your fourth team in one year, you better start showing up to practice.

Leonard has MAJOR wheels, although I'm not exactly sure where SN thinks he can play.

6. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Metros, Gals, who was the third team?

And, oh yeah, showing up for practice would be appreciated. ;)

7. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas, for about five minutes.

8. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Oh yeah, the wonders of MLS. ;) Thanks Mike for the tidbit.

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    This has to be at least a second round pick, if not number 1.

If it's 3rd round or lower, then Quake fans will be pissed. We've cut all our draft picks from the 3rd round on for the last two years. As a matter of fact, we traded Carrieri for Agogo, who we cut this year....so we kept Robinson (#2), Gonzalez (#1 this year) and Roner (#2) from the last two drafts. Tell me again why we need more draft picks?????

10. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Not that it means anything, but the only other time this "trade a draft pick for cap space" thing was done, Chicago traded their 2003 1st rounder to Dallas for the Cap space to sign Vaudreul. So while it may not be the Revs 1st rounder, don't expect it to be a 5th rounder.

JMac

PS: So does this set some kind of record? 4 teams in 1 season?

11. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Roster roulette

From MLS site: "Each team's active roster will consist of a maximum of 18 "senior" players, plus a maximum of five roster protected players."

The official Revs Roster (without these additions) had 20 names, including 2 Project 40 members and one Development player. This move would increase the roster size to 22 and add another development player plus we had an SI slot. So we have room for one more 'roster protected' player, but not another senior player.

The issue here is what happens when Kante joins the team. As a Transitional International he doesn't count against our Senior International count, but he does count as a 'senior' slot. (BTW, Semedo is NOT one of the current 17 seniors on the Revs roster.)

Also, from MLSnet: Transitional Internationals - These are international players whose 23rd or 24th birthday will fall during the calendar year 2001. Transitional International players will not receive roster protection and will count against a team's salary budget, but will not count toward a team's three Senior International player limit.

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what we need, another Jamaican. Don't we ever learn?

13. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Look at how well Twellman and Ralston have done after our experiences with Jim St. Andre and John Harkes.

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Actually, the Revolution's active roster sits at 19, not factoring in the recent signings of Daouda Kante, Winston Griffiths and Marshall Leonard.

Deigo Serna's season-ending injury qualifies him for injuerd reserve status, and according to MLS, "a player placed on the injured reserve list will not count against the team's active roster."

The Magpie

15. sandman012

sandman012 Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Providence
    Griffiths is an upgrade over Cloutier or Harris at this point. Once Kamler comes back, he's a good sub to have, I guess. I thought he was prety good against the Revs. He also has great ball skills, though not as good as A. Williams.

Speaking of A. Williams, I miss him. I have no idea weather or not he was 'the answer' at central mid, but his two or three moments of on-the-ball brilliance a game, and those one or two sweet passes, made the games enjoyable. The Revs have no one on the team now who has those skills.

Considering this team isn't about to accomplish anything much in the near future ... it would be nice to at least see some entertaining football.

16. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA

so, the revs traded AW reportedly because they didn't like his work ethic and then pick WG, with his rep, of waivers? good one. I hope the kid has learned a lesson

17. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I need help understanding the MLS Rules...while there is inactive status and the numbers relate to 'active players', later they talk about Replacement Players only if you lose three seniors to the inactive list. What is the distinction; i.e. what exactly is a 'Replacement Player' then?

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Dream on. A #1 pick for the privilege of not spending money that you weren't going to spend anyway?

SJ only had ANY leverage if they were the only team with some cap space to deal. And even then, there's no way I believe the Revs front office, despite some of the boneheaded moves they've made, would part with a #1 pick to sign someone who has been bounced around from team to team and waived, all in one season.

Being that one team is on the top of one division and the other is at the bottom of the other, this is just a way to do a solid for another "owner/operator" and the league. Any draft pick is just to make it look good on the books - I'd guess 3rd or 4th round, at best.

19. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    This is where I would like to see a post or two from Todd Smith. I'm tired of everybody having to guess at the league roster rules. The Magpie might be right this time, because it's possible that we do have 3 players on injured reserve, as Rusty and Kamler were both in the 4-6 week range from what I heard. Does anyone know how long these guys are out for?

20. Dapper Doug

Dapper Doug New Member

Oct 18, 1999
    Somerset, Mass.
    I've had the opportunity to watch the University of Rhode Island's team over the years, and coach Ed Bradley has a pipeline to Jamaica. URI has had several Jamaican players that have really excelled: Andrew Williams, Nicholas McCreath, Anthony Curtis (before transferring to UConn) and Winston Griffiths.

When I saw him play at URI, Griffiths looked to be an excellent prospect.
    Like Williams, he was a full international while still in college.

Griffiths also played for the Connecticut Wolves in the A-League last season, where coach Dan Gaspar singled him out as a real talent that should be in MLS.

Griffiths is now with his fourth MLS team this season. That obviously raises some eyebrows.

I do know that he is talented and that left-sided players have been hard to come by.
    Given the current situation (roster makeup, injuries, salary cap considerations, stage of the season), there is not a lot of downside to bringing in Griffiths and Marshall at this point.

Usually you only get three strikes before you are out. Perhaps Griffiths can make the most of his fourth chance and put the ability he has to productive use.

21. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    It's slightly unfair to say that he burned a chance in Dallas, isn't it? I thought that the only reason that they tried to get him was to extort some type of bounty from the Metros.

Is the Griffiths move official? I see the press release on the Revs page, but nothing on mlsnet.com. After reading Monday's Herald article, I was looking forward to hearing what Gus Martins had to say about us picking up a player who was released at least partially because he didn't go to practice.

22. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Perhaps the Griffiths/Leonard acquisitions are just part of a grand master-strategy designed to assure that the Revs can get at least twelve guys at practice...

;)

23. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    BTW, where is McCreath playing? I thought he was on Charleston.

One interesting stat I saw when looking for him on the Charleston page: John Wilson, 19 starts, over 1700 minutes, only one goal. I guess we saw him at his best.

24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Still makes no sense from a SJ perspective. Why help NE make the playoffs? Didn't you guys draft a friggin' All-Star team in the Superdraft? Haven't you made move after move all season? Why help with yet another NE roster addition? Isn't there a chance we would have to meet you in the first round?

Frank Yallop cuts his draft picks after the 2nd round. So why pick up a draft pick that he would cut anyway? Maybe we're going to draft Freddy Adu and wait for him to grow up?????

25. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    why build up draft picks?

cause you keep their rights for a few years... and you never know who is going to pan out and who isn't