Revs-Fire USOC Post-Game (R)

Tema en 'New England Revolution' iniciado por The Magpie, 24 Ago 2006.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

19 Nov 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    The Revolution played well, made a couple of mistakes that resulted in goals, still found it difficult to put the ball on frame, and got knocked out of the 2006 U.S. Open Cup by a score of 2-1 in regulation.

(ducking for cover)

Thoughts?

The Magpie

2. PooPooKid

PooPooKid New Member

18 Abr 2004
    Newton
    I'm glad it's over. It would have been embarrissing to see 500 people show up for the semi-final. Ask Noonan what he thinks about the Open Cup this morning. Another 4 - 6 weeks of sleeping on the floor...and getting MRI's and SCANS and PT. Or better yet lets call Joe Max who basically ended his career on the mogals in LUDLOW MA....

PooPooKid..

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my ... I don't even know where to start with this. :rolleyes:

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this quote yesterday by Steve, and it really does apply perfectly to this team. Amazingly other teams have proven it is actually possible to score more than one goal in a Cup matchup. Just not ours. But if you read the quote, IMHO you kinda get the gist of what his message is to the players. Play for your one chance, don't rush it, don't take a risk ...

But hey ... who needed to play two more games in the next month and a half (or whatever it is!). We'll be well rested for the playoffs now for sure (probably next year's, the way we're going).

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

21 Nov 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best shot at a trophy we had this season.

it's officially crisis mode.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding? Did you read the second post in this thread? It's a good thing we lost! We don't actually need to win when we've got our own fans gladly accepting losses!

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry ...

My mind is still boggled by this ...

Hey, the Revs have proven in all but one of the past 11 years that the majority of the season doesn't matter. So next year, just to save the effort, the Revs should sit out their starters from games 1-22 ... because those guys might get hurt! We already know those games don't matter anyway.

8. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

25 Feb 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I dunno, I mean I know what you mean about his philosophy towards "big games" like these, but I think at the end of the day we had all (well sans Simms) of the players out there that we'd like to see in almost the spots we'd like to see them in and they still couldn't get the job done. It sounded like they were attacking pretty decently at the end just couldn't make it work between themselves.

And maybe some of this comes with not having our (bigsoccer crowd here I mean) so called ideal lineup out there for the whole game, and that is a coaching thing, but at some point we also have to consider the "super-sub" impact that a certain few players need to make.

So basically I don't think its all on Nicol, the players have to stop shooting into the brightly colored jersey in the middle of the net at some point.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I'm not taking any of this off the players, but Nicol deserves his share of the blame. It's his team to put together, and this is what he's done with it. Once out on the pitch the players have to do their job, and that's their share of the blame.

My comment was more that his quote, to me anyway, shows why the Revs have performed like crap in Cup games. We've seemingly played both the MLS Cup games to not lose, to hope that we can somehow eek out a goal at some point. I don't think too many would argue that we've not played those two games to win them, we've never gone for the jugular, we've never just flat out attacked like we've seen other MLS teams do (and successfully). Both those games, LA had much better chances than us because they came after us. At times we got lucky they didn't the back of the net earlier.

It's tough to judge yesterday's game since we didn't see it, but for those of us that went to Ludlow, for those of us that have to Rutgers, to Rochester ... it's pretty much in general been the same philosophy.

And yes, this one does hurt more considering that it appeared we actually tried using our starters. And yet, we lost anyway. To a team that I believe had only about half their regulars in at the end of the game. To a team playing their 5th game in 12 days. Wow.

10. peabrainedidiot

21 Nov 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crap, sorry I forgot. I had a moment of hope, being a rev fan should have sucked that out of me a long time ago

11. peabrainedidiot

21 Nov 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its' a coaches job to get them to play. if he can't do it, tweak the system, if the tweaking doesn't work, bring in players, cut dead wieight, make changes.
    2/3 of the way through the season, he's done which one of these? none of them. when does he do something? How long before it's too late?
    in baseball, this would be a 2 and a half month slump. no team would sit by idle and make no moves no trades, no adjustments and still keep their coach except maybe the royals. do you want to be the royals?

12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

9 Abr 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, could we put them all out there in the positions we'd like to see them in before the 57th to 60th minute and before we're down 2-1?

They've been supersubs for what all of 2 or 3 games?

Someone will point out the improvement in Shots and SOG in the last two games. I guess meaning we should be proud of SN that this productivity is up. The problem is that it is too little too late, where was that productivity the rest of this season?. We're past the point of being happy with a good effort It is time for results.

13. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

25 Feb 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Yeah I agree there as well about the way we have played in finals and I wish that would change, but who knows if we'll get a chance to find out with the way this season has turned.

What I was trying to get at in the quote was that it seems Nicol may be saying the players act like this on their own, maybe they will think 'oh crap, I shouldn't make this run' at some point just because they know how much is at stake. But then that gets into the whole coach/player psychological influence thing and I'm not so hot at psychology. But I definitely think part of it is on Nicol and when he tells them to go out and attack or defend.

14. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

25 Feb 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Yes I'll call Stevie right up and tell him to do that next time.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer Doc's already done it.

16. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

9 Abr 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me his number and I'll call him and save you the trouble.;)

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please do. :)

18. ngower

ngower foolish grin

24 May 2006
    Nashua, NH
    So if my math is correct we have 7 points from 9 games, falling to a mostly reserve Fire and going to PK's against a USL1 team. Does this not scream "we need help" to the front office?

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

19 Ago 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No ... everything's going to be fine. If we bring in help now, it would ruin the team's chemistry. Plus you have to trust Stevie, he's got great credentials you know. And he's played at the highest level! :rolleyes:

It's actually 6 points in the last 9 games (including the USOC and the Celtic match). And we've even scored 5 goals during that stretch! Woohoo!

20. ngower

ngower foolish grin

24 May 2006
    Nashua, NH
    5 GOALS!!!! Oh man, I thought we were in trouble:p

I actually think Dempsey's suspension and Noonan's injury mixed with the fact taht Columbus sucks is where we're going to finally win. Simms and Pepe (or whoever go in) are gonna have something to prove to the real Big Red and I have a feeling Simms is going to be a game changer with that speed as opposed to Noonan's holding style of play.

21. peabrainedidiot

21 Nov 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is worthy of it's own post and im not sure where to put it. would people ever consider truning our backs when they enter the field in a sort of not really protest, but a showing of our frustration? After they enter go back to the normal support and chant, but something to show that as fans this is not acceptable.???

22. Chowda

Chowda Member

13 Sep 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I will be in beligerant heckling mode if we don't run Columbus off the field on sunday. I'll probably wander by your section if I run out of derogatory profanities to yell at our players.

I'm not down with the group turn-around thing. Not everybody feels the same way and half the people in the Fort would be really confused.

23. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

30 Oct 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  24. Dan B

Dan B New Member

21 Feb 1999
    Marlborough, MA, USA
    Some people would, but not enough to notice.

This whole thing is weird. Here you have a team (just like a sibling), that has a real problem, and is seriously in need of an intervention. But many people who really love them are too afraid that by telling them how we really feel, we might upset them. So instead most sit (stand) back and just let them die a slow painful death.

Then there is the other group that deny that there is a problem at all. They are either delusional, or feel that just by keeping a positive attitude somehow it will all turn out OK.

But little by little more and more of us just give up shaking our heads and never return.

Never mind. Just my ramblings ... It's time to go back to the EPL games I TIVO'ed from FSW.

Compartir esta página