Revs @ Fire, 7-9-05 Pre-match

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by brianzappa, Jul 5, 2005.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looking at this is depressing. Nothing against the kids who are going to get a shot ... but wow. Welcome to the bigs boys. :eek:

2. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Trying to stay positive here. Not workin so far, can't summon the mojo... :/

3. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't decide if it's better or worse than last year at this point, which had a similar selection of subs, only all filling in for the injured rather than nats callups.

4. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Is this a game we are supposed to lose? They almost always work out well for us. I'm looking forward to shaking things up a bit. I'd like to see us run right at them and use the flanks to good effect. It could prove to be a wide open exciting match. On the other hand, if they are instructed to play for the point, we could get killed with inconsistant passing. I think SN will go for it and let these kids know that this is how you get noticed. I was at the LA match when Dempsey got subbed in as a Rookie and he just went for it. That seems to have worked out OK...other than the 3-2 loss that night. I'm looking forward to watching this one.

5. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Just stay away from that ********ing Admiral Ackbar.

6. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    No problem. Decide to get away from the picture mojo at least for a week.. let's see what happens.. I hit random play on my Ipod, and hit paydirt.

From a VERY forgettable 80's Movie.. "The Legend of Billie Jean" (no, not by Michael Jackson).. Pat Benatar gives us some LYRIC MOJO...

This bloody road remains a mystery
    This sudden darkness fills the air
    What are we waiting for?
    Won't anybody help us?
    What are we waiting for?
    We can't afford to be innocent
    Stand up and face the enemy
    It's a do or die situation
    We will be Invincible....

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not nearly so pessimistic as most of you.

I hardly see Leonard as "green" on the back line. He has the better part of 2 years there, along with 2 playoff runs. I actually think he'll contribute more there, as he's been making some poor decisions in running at people up the wing.

Ditto with Riley out. The Riley we saw pre-injury was a lot better than the one we've seen lately. Against LA he was reverting to the poorly timed, ill-advised slide tackles that drew him cards early in the season.

Vercollone, if he plays, is a far better player than the local kid they took off Columbus' hands at the beginning of last season.

The timing of almost everyone was off against LA. Maybe it was a result of too much time off after the previous game. Regardless, some key players played well below their level and are unlikely to be as bad in the next outing (Cancela, Heaps, Parkhurst, Twellman).

I don't think there'll be a change of formation or any more of a juggling of the lineup than is absolutely necessary. The last thing you want to do is make a lot of changes when you have key guys missing - you really want to minimize the changes around the guys who are filling in.

I expect that we'll do okay defensively (Franchino will have to do a lot more scrambling in Joseph's place then Shalrie would do), but we'll have the same trouble scoring that we always seem to have when Ralston, Dempsey and Noonan are out. There's just too many people to handle Twellman for him to run wild (not that he can sneak 1 or 2 in, but he'll have to be more efficient with his chances).

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely.

I think this team LOVES to be the underdog. :D

The Revs will get point(s).

9. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Revs are goin higher.. PISS ON THE FIRE!

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLSNet's Preview:

REFEREE: Jair Marrufo. SAR (bench): Craig Lowry; JAR (opposite): Anthony Vasoli; 4th: Mark Geiger
    MLS Career: 31 games; FC/gm: 31.1; Y/gm: 3.6; R: 7; pens: 15
    Games involving Fire: P8 W2 L3 T3; FC/gm: 35.0; Y/gm: 3.6; R: 3; pens: 4
    Games involving Revolution: P5 W1 L1 T3; FC/gm: 26.2; Y/gm: 1.6; R: 1; pens: 2

INJURY REPORT: CHICAGO FIRE: OUT: MF Thiago (L knee meniscus tear); MD Craig Capano (L torn ACL); GK Matt Pickens (R groin strain); MF John Thorrington (L hamstring strain); PROBABLE: FW Nate Jaqua (L ankle bone bruise) ... NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION - OUT: GK Kyle Singer (R shoulder sprain); PROBABLE: FW Taylor Twellman (L hamstring strain); DF Marshall Leonard (osteitis pubis)
    INTERNATIONAL ABSENCES: CHI: MF Tony Sanneh, MF Chris Armas (USA; CONCACAF Gold Cup); DF Samuel Caballero, DF Ivan Guerrero (Honduras; CONCACAF Gold Cup) ... NE: FW Pat Noonan, MF Clint Dempsey, MF Steve Ralston (USA; CONCACAF Gold Cup); DF Avery John (Trinidad & Tobago; CONCACAF Gold Cup)
    SUSPENDED: NE: MF Shalrie Joseph (through July 9)
    WARNINGS: CHI: Logan Pause (7 CP in 2 gms) ... NE: DF Jay Heaps (20 CP)

HEAD-TO-HEAD
    ALL-TIME (22 meetings): Fire 7 wins (0 shootout), 29 goals ... Revolution 10 wins (0 shootout), 37 goals ... 5 draws
    IN CHICAGO (11 meetings): Fire 4 wins (0 shootout), 16 goals ... Revolution 3 wins (0 shootout), 15 goals ... 4 draws
    • The Eastern Conference clubs play for the third time in four meetings this season, the second and final time at Soldier Field. They again conclude the season against each other at Gillette Stadium, on Oct. 15.

11. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    If we take the missing (injured and called up) players and put them on a team. Then make them heathy and I bet they would beat either team playing saturday. :(

The missing players team:
    -------- Pickens ------------
    - Sanneh - Cabellero - John -
    ----- Armas -- Joseph ------
    Ralston ------------Guerrero
    ---------- Thiago ---------
    --- Noonan --- Dempsey ---

bench - Capano, Thorrington, Singer

That is acutally a very good MLS lineup and all not playing...

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No mention of Riley having a leg muscle problem.

13. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Riley is traveling with the team. Saw him at the Airport with the rest of the team this afternoon.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great to have a spy at the airport to get us real time info.

So as it stands (according to rose) both Flores and Riley are with the team---hummm. Makes one wonder about the lineup.

I'm guessing the Flores won't play except as a late game sub.

My guess based on the fact that SN doesn't make significant lineup changes unless forced----

Reis
    Heaps, Parkhurst, Franchino, Leonard
    Riley, Dorman, Pepe, Leonard
    Smith, TnT

15. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I for one would love to see Verc instead of one of the Leonard boys to see what the local boy can do in a senior squad match. :)

16. revsfan21

revsfan21 New Member

May 20, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    The projected lineup of Revolutionsoccer.net says:
    Reis
    Franchino, Parkhurst, Heaps
    Leonard, Dorman, Edozien, Riley
    Cancela at AM
    Smith, Twellman

17. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Reis
    Heaps, Parkhurst, Franchino, Leonard
    Riley, Dorman, Pepe, Leonard
    Smith, TnT[/QUOTE]
    All these guys travelled. Others included Vercollone, Edozian, Flores,Warren,Lathem, Laurentowicz, and a few others I did not recognise. Biggest squad i've seen traveling since I've been at Logan. Lots of great talent to choose from!!!! If they loose this one I will drink a bottle of Guinness (ugh ugh ugh - horrible taste- this from one who was born a half mile from the Brewery!!!!) at the next tailgate. COME ON YOU REVS!!!! Save me from a fate worse than death!!!!!! Pretty please!!!!

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. I think Edozien belongs in the midfield, not at forward and putting him into Dempseys role as a roving attacker fits his style.

Looking forward to this one.

19. dmonahan

dmonahan Member

Aug 2, 2003
    Newburyport, MA, USA
    As a newcomer to MLS, can someone tell me why they don't schedule these interuptions as does the EPL? The MLS should just take a week off for the Gold Cup.

Dick.

20. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great question Dick and maybe best for you to take to the MLS Board where this has been discussed ad-nausium and you can check out long heated debates on the pros-cons of the matter.

I'm not sure I can give you a short answer but much of it has to do with the fact that we don't have a winter schedule and all our matches are fit inbetween the weather extremes at either end of the season.

It's never going to be a world that satisfies everyones criteria for perfection---and that includes the schedualing in MLS.

21. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, sounds painful. I wouldn't want you to suffer, I'll drink it for you...perhaps even two! And if any of you want to "cover" this bet, I make the same offer, I'll drink a Guiness if they win! ;)

22. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999

wait, a ref that we don't have a lopsided losses to wins record with? that can't be right... :confused:

23. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Revs projected formation according to http://www.revolutionsoccer.net:

GK: Reis
    RB: Heaps
    CB: Parkhurst
    LB: Franchino
    DM: Dorman
    DM: Edozien
    CM: Cancela
    RM: Riley
    LM: Leonard
    FW: Twellman
    FW: Smith

24. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, I thought we'd see something like this

Reis
    Heaps Parkhurst Leonard
    Dorman Franchino
    Riley Cancela Latham
    Twellman Smith

25. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dick, Welcome to MLS! the reason (or that the league gives)is because many MLS teams share stadiums with other sports and are mainly the secondary tenet in most cases so there is not the flexibility in the schedule what would be needed too take time off and still compete the season in a timely manner. Of course as more teams get SSS this will change.