Revs-Dallas Pre Match Chatter

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Jul 9, 2005.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate agreeing with Kevin, and not trying to pile on ... but I think the problem becomes that if this is what you're thinking, others probably are too. And however many people that are in that same camp now are being quiet because the team isn't really playing well. And we're that much worse off because of it.

Prairie, you and I have seen many Revs games that the team has just sucked. But I have never ever left a game thinking I didn't make enough noise to let the team know that I was still behind them, no matter what.

If we are playing Mexico on Saturday ... we will need EVERY US fan to represent their country, show some pride, wear their red, bring their flags, and leave the stadium with no voice.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No ... his concern will be to have one of the US players hurt in the MLS match. That would be his biggest and most likely only concern, because I don't think he'd care at all about being accused of anything like that.

If the US loses on Saturday (God forbid), then it might not matter so much. But if they win, and with the semis on Wednesday, he won't want to see any of the guys risk an injury in the Revs/FCD game. Especially with the thugs that play for FCD. :D

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, those players have already been released to the nats, so Nicol has already given up control of those players. (FIFA regs require the clubs to release the players by three(?) days before a match, and Nicol has already done this.)

So "technically", they are in Bruce's hands. *IF* he decides to let them play for NE, it will be because he is comfortable with it. I doubt he will be. Oh, and from what I read in your local paper, the players don't expect to play on Saturday for NE.

We won't have a good idea about Ruiz until later this week, btw.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just a thought on the subject but maybe if the folks in the first 4 rows fan out a bit it may encourage the people in the other rows that are standing to start cheering along. I have noticed that during the revs game everyone tries to cram in to the front row,,,probably more folks than seats, same with the second. I usually sit in row 7, My buddy and I scream as loud as we can and encourage others to do so. Last revs home game the entire fort and sections on either side seem to join in.

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, bro, while competitors in the MLS arena, for the nats, we're brothers in arms. Sorry to point that out. ;)

I don't think it is that big of a deal - I certainly am not trying to brow beat anyone into anything. But I do think it is a simple case of what is your mind-set when you go into the game. Are you going to be entertained, or are you going to inspire?

I know it doesn't happen often, but the times that the inspiration DOES happen? That kind of high? Well, you just can't pay enough to get it legally any where else.

But it does take doing it every game, every moment, and especially at times when you emotionally probably don't want to. Again I go back to the comparison to the players and their performances. How much do you appreciate it when the team is playing like crap, but one certain player says, "Uh-uh - no way - we're not doing this. *I'm* going to bust my A and we're NOT giving up!"?

You just have to ask yourself whether you can (or want) to do that as an active supporter.

Yes, it probably requires psyching yourself up a bit sometimes. Linkin Park and Metallica work best for me, although to be honest, QueensRyche's Operation Mindcrime is my "out pitch." (And, frankly, shouldn't it be yours? "There's a Revolution calling... Revolution calling... Revolution calling you! . . . . Gotta push, gotta push it on through!" Play that song, imagining The Fort 1,000 strong, and tell me it doens't give you goosebumps.)

But I'm here to tell you it is worth it. And deep in your heart, you know it. Anyone who has ever been an active supporter knows it - because that is the connection that you feel. It is why you can't just sit on your hands and golf clap. It is just a question of degree.

So the next time you go into a stadium, take a moment to consider your mindset. Are you going to be passive or active? Make a choice, then make it happen.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just being a wise-ass man! :p

The worse part of this entire statement is ... damn it, I love that CD and knew exactly the lines he was going to refer to before I even read them. And I agree with him again!

I think I'll be passive! ;)

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know - I was just twisting the knife. :D

(Let's peek inside Kevin's brain for a moment - ew, I know, but let's just see.... "Hm. Do I twist the knife some more and tell him who I ranked first this week in my rankings, or do I leave him hanging?")

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at all the empty space! ;)

9. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Ever notice the resemblance between the singer of Queensryche and Vigo from Ghostbusters II?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes. The cheap shot. Well, we always knew you'd take the easy out.

%)

11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much so!

Well if you leave it that open, whatdya expect! :p

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I don't know. Something that actually requires thought? Is that so much to ask? ;)

I hope Nicol is focusing as much on Dallas as you are on your witicisms. :D

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or as much as you with your spelling. :p :D

You want me to think ... at work? Now that's just asking too much.

14. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, BS doesn't have a spell checker - what do you expect of me here?

15. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    Face it, singing at sporting events will never happen in America. Only chants such as "Lets go Yankees" will. I think it is fine. We also boo which is a lot better than the high pitched whistling you hear around the world. wtf is up with that anyways is that supposed to be intimidating. O NO someones whistling, they must be really ticked off now.

16. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that reminds me of people who say soccer will never be big in America.

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it is happening. :confused:

They probably think the same thing of Americans booing.

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude - have you ever been to college gridiron games? Please.

And beyond that, outside of our merry band, we happy few, who gives a rats A? I'd rather have our 50-2,000 (depending on the team and the game) doing our thing than the droning crap we heard in Korea where the entire stadium did the same damn thing for 90 minutes. Monty, remember, "One song! You only have one song!"? :)

As for the booing, I'd rather it not come from the active supporter's section - we have many other more intelligent and fun chants to do ("I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref!", "Diving B......!" etc.)

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, congratulations to Shalrie, Dempsey and Reis - all deserving members of the All-Star team. I would be very surprised if Noonan, Ralston and Twellman aren't named by Colin tomorrow.

That first XI? Damn. Fulham better bring it, because that is one stout team. (Yes, Ruiz will obviously be back and healthy by then. EJ? Not sure.)

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And yes, I remember that. And getting the people who understood English around us laughing when we changed Marley's tune to "No Kimchi No Cry." :D

21. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    I don't care if I have to strap my shoulder down or put it in a sling. I will be there. I will be LOUD.

Folks.. I can understand that the Fort is a happenin place to be for a Revs game. Doubly so for a US Nats game. BUT..

If you plan on having any kind of voice come the end of game 3, I really suggest that there are other sections to be in.

We don't want fans (casual or otherwise). We need to be a WALL OF SOUND for our teams. One Giant Living, Breathing MASS of pure support for the US and the Revs (wait, am I talking about the Fort or myself? :D)

Go loud and proud for 180 minutes, or don't go. Plain and simple.

22. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    yeah, cause singing and soccer are the same thing. :rolleyes:

I like soccer a lot. But I'm not going to sing. I just don't sing. I hate people that act like they are so much better than you because they sit in a supporters section and sing.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see anyone here making that comment. People have a choice when they're in the stadium as to how they want to cheer on their team. It's that simple.

The only issue brought up by B1 is that if someone's going to be in the Fort ... considering that section is about making noise for the team, well that's what people in the Fort should be doing.

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "don't go" - but rather let's take the encouraging side of it.

I will tell you, having done it at the USA-CR/Dallas-Real game, 180 minutes is LONG!

25. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you saying that as a Dallas Fan you are out of shape for cheering because it's been so long since you've had anything to cheer about? ;)