REVS/CREW During and Post Match (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by petezuke17, Sep 28, 2003.

1. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Im excited about this one.

JMM is back and hopefully he and Cancella can link up tonight. Noonan outside on the right and Ralston on the Left becase Kamler is out for the Red card.

Love the formation, hope we get 3!

2. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 Crew at half.

Martino guided past brown after West had headed down off of a corner.

Taylor should have scored, hit the post from a semi-tight angle, but he should have burried it.

Revs controlled play, but trail and are lucky to not be down two as Adin came up hege late in the first half.

3. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that goal should pretty much finish the Revs for this year. 2-0 Crew on a counter after the an apparent pk in the Revs favor was not called just seconds earlier. I have a sense of deja vu on that play, but can't quite recall when it happened before.

Lee

4. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not content to let my hope die peacefully, JMM with a beauty of a fk in the 78th. 2-1 Crew now.

5. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHHOOOO HOOOOOOO

Joseph heads in a JMM corner

knotted at 2!!!

C'mon Revs!!!!

6. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Let me try that again.

Sure they're back in it, but there's no way the Revs could score another goal and win 3-2. That would be inconceivable.

Lee

7. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutley AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Joey, Freekick from about 22 yrds

REVS WIN
    REVS WIN
    REVS WIN

3-2

ITs about time this happens for this team.

Just so happy, so great!

8. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes!!!

Franchino with the FK from just outside of the box to win in OT!!

9. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice free kick from Joey. Crew need to work on their set plays, though - their walls were pretty awful.

Go Revs! :)

Lee

10. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What. Just. Happened.

Oh. My. God.

No Freaking Way!

I swear, I was this close to turning off the TV after Denton got that one in inside the post. I chucked my scarf at the TV, only to pick it up again right after Shalrie (Shalrie! Nice!) nailed that one.

Oh. My. God.

11. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Inigo Montoya] You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/Inigo Montoya] ;)

This is the kind of win we can hopefully build some momentum from. Falling behind on a soft goal despite having the run of play, then going down 2-0 on the counter after a possible pk wasn't awarded and then storming all the way back in 15-20 minutes to grab all three points. If we can carry this energy into the games against DC and Metro when can solidify a spot in the playoffs and maybe make a run like last year.

12. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredibele game! I'm still in disbelief. I thought we were done for. We showed a lot of hear tonight. I was pretty close to turning off the tv. I'm so glad I didn't. After Shalrie scored, I jokingly told my friend that Franchino would score the winning goal. That was such an awesome finish! Game of the season.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    absolutely awesome win. three absolutely CRACKING goals. what a way to score a golden goal Joey. Joseph continues to be one of my favorite players on the Revs. That guy is absolutely solid. The Revs defiantely had some disapointing stretches, and still looked shakey on defense at times but what a way to come back.

That ref definatley had a quick whistle tonight. I'm not sure what the wet feild had to do with it, but it seemed like there were a lot of players going down. Yet, I wouldn't exactly describe the play as chippy. He had some questionable calls but seemed to be calling it extremely close both ways. Didn't you just kind of get the feeling though that the Revs were due for another good strike off of a set piece? Three great points by a team that definately desirved to win the game.

14. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    What a time for the Revs to record their first come from behind win of the season!!

Absolutely superb...we still have a long way to go, but what a weight off of the players' shoulders to stick together and keep on believing in themselves to finally win the game.

Virtually everyone made great contributions. Our slow central defense was exposed a couple of times, but in the end did well enough.

Man, do we need Kamler...I, for one, don't like Ralston on the left. Just when I though JMM was being ineffective, he takes a corner (his only one of the night I believe) and Shalrie scores off of it. Then he puts in a cracker of a free kick. Cancela and Joseph in the middle is a great combination!!

The ref did make some interesting calls and non-calls, but was OK by me. I would love, though to know why he didn't allow Columbus to take that free kick at the end of OT1. Is that typical? It didn't appear that Columbus was really organizing themselves quickly to take the kick and so I think he called time.

Anyways, we remain alive and are now in better position than we were before the beginning of the evening. Go REVS....

15. YEEEEHHHAAAWWW!!!!

Bend it like Franchino!!

:D

16. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget the prequel, which hasn't gotten the noteriety of the later movie, but was just as good if not as important

BEND IT LIKE MOORE

Great for JMM to be able to contribute after such a tough season so far, but then again thats what great players do and I don't care what anyone says he can still produce.

Hopefully thats what we will see for the rest of the year

17. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gutsy substitutions by SN...I think this sent a message to the players, "win this damn match!"

Not your typical match for TnT, but all told he was effective in always drawing a defender full-time. I have to believe that helped a bit when we started playing 5 mids.

The Crew are a curious team, nearly as confounding as the Revs. I can't figure out how they always find a way to NOT play to BMB's strengths. And who would have thought a team could miss Brian Dunseth so much?

Brian

18. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Did anyone else notice that there didn't seem to be any time when Twellman got his head on the ball with any authority? I wonder if it was just something that I happend to notice more this than any other game? It could be an extension of his injury. However, I really think that he's not really suited well for the BMB styled target forward.

Speaking of which, did anyone notice how surly BMB looked tonight? He absolutely just looked like he want'ed to get off that feild as soon as he could.

19. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And why not? He could've got better service at a Denny's...

Brian

20. number15

number15 Member

Aug 18, 2001
    I'll take the win ...but

I was at the match...very enjoyable comeback...very enjoyable.

But except for a few short periods (and fortunately the end) our passing was really weak. We rarely strung 3 good passes together.

And so much out of the back was long balls which (as someone else pointed out) Columbus frequently cleaned up with their heads...or rolled hamlessly to the Crew keeper.

If it was against any other team tonite I think they would have eaten our lunch....

21. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    sets up an interesting couple of weeks for the Revs. Columbus and DC meet up next weekend, while the Revs get Dallas. Then next weekends it's DC at home, with Columbus in Chicago. The schedual looks pretty good through this stretch with the Revs definately controlling their own destiny leading into the final TWO weekends against the Metros.

22. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Nice to be in the other shoes...

• Nice to do onto others what was done to you (over and aver)

• It was a PK on Noonan. And the defense once more got caught with the pants down.

• TnT is still dizzy from his 'nockin'. How often he was watching another channel...

• Joe Max stunk for 80 minutes and in 2 turned the game around.

• I never saw a ref call time on a dead ball situation.

• The Crew has a rotating enforcer rule. After one gets a card, another takes over. Try to teach that to Rusty.

• This is ( I think) the first goal on a corner kick since Daouda scored against Chicago last year. The Revs had their back against the wall then and the big MO carried to the final.

• The trick is simple. Have Cancela take all the dead balls. Then let someone else take one. JMM scores from FK, takes corner and Shalrie scores and then Joey puts the icing on the cake.

23. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AMEN! Like i said prior to today's game, this is where JMM is clutch folks. This is why he is, and always will be, New England Revolution Soccer. He is the key man the rest of the way.

And we're going to Dallas next weekend, G.I. Joe-Max's favorite MLS punching bag. To finally be optimistic is a great thing.

24. Kanu

Kanu New Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Owerri, Nigeria
    A real spark

I think man-for-man, Columbus has more talent than the Revolution. But there is something missing in the Crew.

It is great to see the Revolution come up with such a character victory in such a crucial game. Very nice timing.

If Columbus does not make the playoffs, Andrulis will be heading back to the college ranks.

Let's see if this win can spur on New England to better things down the road like last season.

25. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, I thought the Revs had an awful lot of possession tonight. Maybe they only strung 3 passes together most of the match but if so it was ____ to Cancela to ____ most of the time - the way it should be.

The first Columbus goal was definitely against the run of play and one of the few serious defensive breakdowns of the match. If the Revs should be faulted for one thing tonight that would have to be shooting. Had they pulled the trigger more often something should have hit the back of the net long before they were down a goal.

In the second half Columbus did a good job early of breaking up the rythym so the Revs started to look in trouble. The replay did make a strong case for a PK on Noonan but there was no good look at the counter. Can anyone who was there comment on whether that might have been offside? In either case, the first Rev goal should have been the tying goal and the second the game winner.

After Prus, I found it refreshing to see a ref call a pretty tight match, I can even forgive him for missing the PK call since in real time it was not as clear. He did let McBride get away with kicking the ball away late in the second half after carding for the same thing early in the first, but then Shalrie had just gotten away with it himself.

I must say that as much as I want to see the captain's arm band on Ralston, Joey has done a great job the past two matches on simply walking away when the whistle blows. Maybe he actually is getting some anger management?!?

Finally, the schedule does put the Revs in charge of their own destiny. Since they have leapfrogged Columbus it is obvious that running the table will assure them of a playoff berth. 10 of 12 points would mean no worse than a tie with Columbus, but if the Revs got 10 points and Columbus got 12 that would have dire consequences for DC and Mutts and thus I believe that 3 wins and a tie also guaruntee a playoff spot. The easy way in would be to win in Dallas next week followed by a home win against DC with Columbus losing at home to DC and on the road to Chicago. If that were to happen (admittedly a long shot, but not impossible) the Revs would only need one point from the home and home with the Mutts to make the playoffs. Heck, if this plays out right and the Mutts crash and burn the Revs could send them to the golf course for the second year in a row. Ah, the joys of parity!