Revs at DCU--pre game chatter

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short week with 5 days between games

Past two road outings have been less than solid but produced 4 points
    Joseph playing a bit like he's preoccupied
    Smith has been struggling in the past two games
    Defense has been solid giving up two goals off deflections and one on a bad bounce. Having Parkhurst back is a real plus
    Twellman on a hot run and gaining in confidence
    Ralston playing like he's lost a few birthdays

DCU has really struggled (0-3) and their defense has been poor.
    Not sure if things are not boiling over in the locker room
    Fans not at all happy with the coaching
    DCU players will be desperate for a win

These games are always fun and hotly contested
    Weather should be OK
    Revs have a high probibility of coming away with points

2. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great test for the Revs. DC will want revenge for the ECF loss, and will not want to get 0 points from 4 matches (already having lost twice to Eastern opponents). I hope the Revs can pick it up a notch from the Dallas performance.

3. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Agree with most of this...

Smith is a "one-trick pony" and it seems that they won't let him do that trick anymore... also, when he tries to play it, he gets doubled down in the corner and can't make anything of it (or even keep possession with a short pass)...

Joseph really looked good to me yesterday (much better than in Cowlumbus)... some of our recent returnees got some time (Noonan and Parkhurst) without really hurting the team or themselves (though Noonan really looked useless except for the couple of times he got the ball down near the penalty box)... I haven't seen anything from Thompson that makes me thiink he can play at this level...

DC are gooing to come out flying... the key will be what the Revs are able to do with the first 20-25 minutes of pressure... watch the area behind the flank midfielders... if DC is able to exploit that weak area, it could be a long night...

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    ESPN2HD - woohoo.

I actually think we will come out flying for DC...but looking ahead, there may be little in the gastank for Sundays game against Chicago.

Tough little stretch right here.

5. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the crew can take 3 from Dog Crap United, then anything less than 3 will be disappointing.

Maybe shalrie and Gomez can meet for a beer after the game and cry about their contracts

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC will be all out on Thursday. An 0-4 start would be horrific for them.

And I'd love it. :D

7. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not be the first guys to give DC points this year. Toronto can do that.

8. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'll take one point in this one as long as we win on Sunday.

9. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the east is kind of garbage this season. I want 3 from everyone.

10. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    East is kind of garbage? How do you figure?

So far, the 4 best teams in the league are in the East. RBNY hasn't given up a goal yet this season. Columbus and Chicago have yet to lose a game.

I don't think DC's current status proves their weakness but rather proves the division's strength.

11. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    East of China.

12. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really surprised by DC.

They looked good in the Champion's league..but did lack cohesiveness. Their defense is Lindburger...

I think SN should go with ML on the left. He actually has been the best left sided mid that the Revs have had in the past few years. He had a monster game against DC a couple of years back. Would be great for him to get a start in this one.

Khano is just too inconsistant. He's a pretty horrible defender and seems to always be lingering in space. With the kind of pace he has, he should be burning down the wing at every chance pulling the outside defender with him and leaving some nice holes for Noonan and Dorman to get into...but nooooo..Against Dallas he just looked like gumby out there.

13. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Leonard should get a fair number of reserve starts before he gets a first team start just so he gets into the swing of things again.

I really think the Revs can win this one, especially if they score an early goal.

Any word on when Byrne gets his visa?

14. jrkumor

jrkumor New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    H2O-Town, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he said he was hoping to get it by this weekend, thought he was going to have it for last weekend....please correct me if I misunderstood him.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is he working out privately or is he able to train with the Revs without a visa? Anyone?

16. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can train. That is not considered "work". The cannot plan a game which is considered "work".

17. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure he's ALLOWED to train with the team. He just can't get paid by the team until his visa comes through. Players train with teams all over the world all the time without any work permit issues, I believe.

OR what the doc said...

18. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Leonard, I'm glad he's healthy, and I'm happy to have him on the team. That being said, I'd have some misgivings about starting him on Thursday. What I remember from last year was that Leonard was the best defensive LM we had, he always tracked back and combined well with the left back, particularly AJ, to double team opposing players and strip them of the ball. He was extremely consistant.

The problem was that he consistently offered very little going forwards. A quick check on MLSnet confirmed my suspicions, ML: 1 goal and 2 assists in 4,541 minutes, Khano: 4 goals and 2 assists in 1,472. With Khano there's always some threat that he'll get forward and do some damage, that is just not the case with Leonard and it allows the opposition to shift defensive cover to other areas of the field.

I think ML is a fantastic option off the bench when we're holding a tenuous lead, if he'd been on the field instead of Thompson in Columbus I think we would have won that game. But I don't think he's a good choice to start.

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fan loyalty night in DC, buy one, get one free.

So the stadium should be loud. Those guys are already freakin out about being 10 points out of first, and 6 points out of a tie for 5th place! ;)

20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    buy one dc fan get one free? oh what a bargain!!;)

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't know why people are dumping on Smith, he actually had some pretty nice crosses and did his job defensively. He busted his tail on a pretty brutal day.

Sure, he tripped over the ball a couple of times, but he had his share of good plays as well.

22. DREWWW

DREWWW Member

Jan 24, 2006
    H2Otown, Masachewsez

Until they start going to the bathroom on your living room carpet. Remember to rub their noses in it so they don't do it again :p

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear they react better to crate training

24. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I got a real bad feeling about this one.

25. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On which side? I'm desperately hoping we don't give you your first points of the year...