Alert: Revolution Trialists

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by burud111, Oct 1, 2010.

1. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delron Buckley
    Position: Winger
    Relased by club in Cyprus at end of 09-10 season
    Played in '98 and '02 World Cups for South Africa
    Scored only 1 goal in 62 apps. at Borussia Dortmund
    Scored 20 goals in 177 apps at Vfl Bochum
    Total Stats:
    Nats: 72 apps, 10 goals, 1 goal per 7.2 gms
    Clubs: 323 apps, 40 goals, 1 goal per 8.1 gms
    "Buckley goes on to say that although it would be embarrassing for him, he may need to apply for unemployment benefits to keep his family in the lifestyle to which they are accustomed."
    http://www.kickoff.com/news/17197/jobless-delron-buckley-becoming-desperate.php

Didier Domi
    Position: Left Back
    Released by Olympiacos earlier this year
    Has played in top flights of France, England, and Spain
    253 career apps, 3 goals
    French, never capped for national team

2. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    ...and there was much rejoicing....

*crickets*

3. PtownJungle

PtownJungle New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Portland, maine
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BORINGGGGGGGG... waste of time for the revs.

Didier Domi is the better look of the two but both just make me cry.

4. RevolutionFan

RevolutionFan New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Warwick, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we should be attempting to get younger (25-28 year old) players who are quality. i mean im not saying these 2 are quality players id just rather have younger players who are in their prime right now.

5. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we should bringin in younger players but im excited cuz for once ive actually heard of one of the trialists(Domi). Hes got an impressive resume but at 32 he'd probably only help for a yr or two at most. I guess its good tht they r already lookin for players for next yr.

6. revolution1776

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Could this mean the end is near for Khanoooo?

7. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's nice to see the Revs bringing in some guys who actually played for teams we've actually heard of and actually doing it now instead of later. Granted they are only trialing and I'm sure their will be more guys coming in but it's a bit frustrating that they are 32 years of age. Granted at 32 here in the MLS you can still get some good years out of the guy but I would be hoping they would trying to get some guys in that are Perovic's age and building a team for years to come. I guess it's a start.

8. ethical1989

ethical1989 New Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Attleboro
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mine that the Revs are giving them a trial now because it means that we are at the very least looking for new talent. Hopefully they are only the first in a long line of trialist. But I do agree we need younger players than them. An i'm sure the Revs will bring in younger players, lets hope we find a few gems like Perovic an have a good season next year!

9. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Jankauskas won the Champion's League and we thought it was going to be a good signing. I'm not buying into either of these guys. Even if they contribute, we'll only be able to get a season or two out of them, and I highly doubt this team is capable of winning a cup within that time frame.

Acquire developed youth (Gaven, Rogers, etc) or go after more Perovic types in that they have an upside.

I'm done on the 30+ crowd unless they're a DP.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I don't get is the timing of it all. The season is over. Let's say they sign one/both of these guys right now, there will be no games left by the time they are actually able to play.

The Revs are not exactly a "massive" club like the big-market Crew, so it would seem unlikely that they'd even set up a few post-season friendlies with a competent club, so these guys would be signing now so they could take a few months off and join us in training camp in February. If I was one of those players, New England would be my last choice, only if I couldn't get a gig with some kind of team that is playing right now.

Now if they had trialed these guys earlier in the summer and signed them when they brought in Stoli and Linck, that is another matter, but just like everything, it seems like a day late and a buck short....

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think they are going to (or can - aren't rosters frozen?) sign anyone now, but I think they probably want to be able to see these guys playing in a full scrimmage with the rest of the team.

One of the problems with signing guys in the off-season is that you don't get to see them play with the rest of your squad, since they've been released for the winter break.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought they couldn't start planning yet? ;)

Glad to see them stepping up at this point. This really has a chance to be a wonderful offseason for fans in regards to news.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I do know the Revs have kept the team together after the season was done in the past. The infamous Gorter-Nakhid incident happened when the team was still practicing, even though their games were done for the year. Of course, the season ended earlier then, and this was when the weather was still reasonably nice - I think it was late October.

14. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    They need a fall-back plan in case the Krafts sober up and put the kibosh on the whole DP idea.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they have one but he is recovering from whiplash

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this season IS ending earlier than any other in Nicol's tenure...

17. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Sadly, he's not recovering...

18. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't following in 1998 and had to google this. wow.

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah it was a bad situation. It seemed there were a lot of problems within the locker room back then. It's been said that Zenga himself was racist, not playing some of the better black players on those early teams when he took over as coach.

20. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Delron Buckley and Didier Domi ARE the Krafts' "DP idea". ;)

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was Rongen who was the manager then, at least until a blowout by the Galaxy (5-1 loss, I think). The "problems" in the locker room had more to do with Rongen leaving the team in June to go with the US team to France to be at the World Cup. Who ever heard of a coach doing that in the middle of the season? It would be one thing for players (Joe-Max Moore and Mike Burns) to do that, but how can a coach possibly demand the kind of commitment he needs from his players if he is perceived to not be 100% behind the effort.

In this instance, Kraft should have told Rongen that it was OK if he wanted to go to France, but if he did, he wouldn't have a job when he came back.

The Gorter/Nakhid situation had built up over the year, from having two imported players vying for the same position, the #10 AM role. Rightly or wrongly, whether Nakhid thought he was being pushed aside because Gorter and Rongen are both Dutch and therefore favored, it didn't help that both were extremely opinionated, hard-headed personalities. Personally, I thought Gorter was the better player for that role, but then again, I never saw Nakhid play there, only as a holding DM, so who knows how he would have done.

Basically, no one would even remember this if Gorter had just called him "a c--t" rather than "a black c--t"

22. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little more about Delron Buckley