News: Revolution Acquire Teal Bunbury from Sporting KC

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Mike Marshall, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official:

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014/02/teal-bunbury-traded-new-england-revolution

Teal Bunbury traded to New England Revolution
    Sporting KC receives first round MLS SuperDraft pick and allocation money
    FEBRUARY 19, 2014
    Kurt Austin
    SportingKC.com

[​IMG]
    USA Today Images

Sporting Kansas City traded forward Teal Bunbury to the New England Revolution on Wednesday in exchange for New England’s first round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft and allocation money.

"Everyone in the organization would like to thank Teal for his contributions on and off the field for Kansas City over the last four years,” Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes said. “We wish him all the best."

Bunbury scored 21 goals and added seven assists in 94 games in MLS competition (including playoffs) since being drafted by Sporting KC with the fourth overall pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft as a Generation adidas signing out of Akron. The 23-year-old forward returned from a torn ACL in 2013 and his 19 career MLS regular season goals rank 10th most on the club’s all-time goal scoring chart.

Bunbury has four appearances for the U.S. Men’s National Team with a goal and an assist. He also represented the United States during the 2012 CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament.

2. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm pretty excited about this move. I think that a trade is exactly what Bunbury needs to reignite his career. I could see this working out similarly to the Agudelo move.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do agree with JT a bit on this. But still think it's a really good move.

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
  6. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect the 1st round pick to be #21 anyways :)

Revs-West, a517dogg and patfan1 repped this.
  7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    With NYCFC and Orlando joining the fold next year the worst team in the league will only have the 3rd pick. I'm guessing our pick will be somewher in the 5-10 range (hopefully worse). I don't think it's a ton, but it does scare me that we seem to have been relying pretty heavily on draft picks over the past couple of years. Maybe we can fleece Chivas USA out of their top pick for Bengtson, they practically give draft picks away.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunbury is in a contract year apparently.

9. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me cautiously optimistic.

Revs don't have a "sure thing" at the forward position, but they've got a ton of guys that are intriguing.

Can't believe Bunbury's only 23.

MLSinHD and bwidell repped this.
  10. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great. One concern is that he has had 2 ACL tears in the last year and a half - 2 years.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st rd pick and money is too much for him in my opinion. Hope I am wrong

12. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think it's a slight overpay for a player who hasn't produced much in two years (I would have preferred Saad or Dwyer if the Revs had to give up a 1st-round pick), but it's still a forward-thinking move by the Revs.

Bunbury is still very young, and KC's constantly rotating striker cast may have limited his opportunities to regain his form. Let's hope significant playing time in the Revs' system gets 2011 Bunbury back.

bwidell repped this.
  13. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Twice?

14. Sparks27

Sparks27 Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    From a SKC fan in furious at the move. Teal brings so much to the table. His speed, Ariel ability, work ethic, are all fantastic. His finishing is the only thing that is a little spotty. I suspect he will start for you guys this season rather it's opening day or not. Congrats, excuse me while I go cuss out a few Facebook fans

patfan1 repped this.
  15. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Just" once.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing I don't get is why we had to give SKC so much. Bunbury was arguably 5th on the forward depth chart in KC. They were clearly trying to offload him. It would be like US getting a 1st rounder and allocation money for Bengtson.

17. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a guess... SKC was shopping him, and multiple teams were interested.

Crooked and bwidell repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be that. Could also be a sign of slight desperation.

19. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    His spot on the SKC depth chart has nothing to do with his value to other teams in the league.

revsrock and bwidell repped this.
  20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #20 RevsLiverpool, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Interesting move and I know I'll get torn to shreds for having a dissenting opinion but I'm a little disappointed with yet another reclamation project leading our line. He's another Charlie Davies, or Chad Barrett, a recent under performer elsewhere in MLS with something to prove. There's certainly advantages to trading within the league but when we put it in context of our direct competitors DC, TFC and elsewhere in the East, this isn't a move that says "I have MLS Cup ambition." It says "we will try real hard to sneak into the playoffs on nothing more than reclamation projects and draft picks." I still wish the revs would be more aggressive and go after better forwards.

The pros:
    Familiarity with the league. Bunbury knows MLS so check the travel/culture aspect of a new signing

Age. He's the right age at 23

Motivation: Agudelo benefited in a new environment; if he's got a chip on his shoulder and a competitive desire to succeed, maybe Bunbury will too.

The cons:
    Under performer. Bunbury has 19 goals in 89 appearances in his MLS career, working out to a goal every 4+ games. He has 7 assists total in his entire MLS career so he doesn't set up many goals and hasn't shown to be a good finisher. In fact, I remember more Bunbury misses on open looks given by the revs than I do his goals! SKC probably does too.

Contract year. Bunbury is another rental just like Agudelo. So it's really a no-win situation - if he does well, he'll get offers overseas. If he doesn't we'll have given up a first round pick and allocation money for not much production.

Health concerns. He came back from a torn ACL last season but just like Sene this is a looming question mark.

I will be pleasantly surprised if Bunbury contributes much in 2014 - this move has "new Chad Barrett" written all over it.

21. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I think this is good. And the price?
    a. We already have lotsa youth (more from next year's draft may not be needed). I'm not overly concerned.
    b. Was this draft year not considered 'sorta thin'? Is it not grief-inducing to rely on the draft so heavily? I'm not overly concerned about the need to draft well next season. (No crystal ball here... but no ulcers over it either).
    c. Allocation money. YAY! They've finally found a use for it!

I have the same lingering doubts that other have about how he'll perform. But at least we know that he is capable of performing well, and is young. I guess the rest is a crap-shoot just like anyone else.

bwidell repped this.
  22. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, just once. I misread the article.

23. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I couldn't possibly disagree with your comparision between Bunbury and Barrett anymore. Bunbury is a guy who at one point was working his way into the NT picture, was playing for the Olympic team, performing well in MLS, etc. Injuries have definitely set him back, as has the depth of SKC's striker corps. I think that a new team is exactly what Teal needs to get his career back on track. Chad Barrett on the other hand is a career MLS journeyman, there are very few similarities.

SJB, Soccer Doc and bwidell repped this.
  24. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Identify and acquire. I couldn't care less what they pay, especially if it involves draft picks and allocation.

bwidell repped this.
  25. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the input. I was even able to translate it from rural mid-western speak! :)