Revenge and the Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Calexico77, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Payback is a bitch..

3. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a good vacation spot to me...

~worm~

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The motive/circumstances of the taking would run afoul of the recent decision and wouldn't be allowed......but as a piss take goes.....good on them.

5. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a great idea. Even if it fails, which in all seriousness will, it succeeds in proving an important and basic principle. I hope it causes Justice Souter to reflect on his decision again.

6. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely. Probably he's just rolling his eyes and laughing at those guys.

7. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Sadly true, but still funny.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What important and basic principle is this "proving"?

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Maybe. But, if the town would seriously consider sending a notice of its intent, Justice Souter would have to hire a lawyer and defend against the condemnation. How great would that be for him to have to pay some lawyers. :D

10. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think someone needs to merge these two threads.

11. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Something tells me this isn't going to get that far.

And no, I don't think it would be great.

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Why? I believe that it does a person in a high position some good to occasioanlly have to deal with the real world stuff the rest of us deal with, particularly when they make decisions that affect all of us.

When you are at that level, real life experience plays a role in how you perceive things. A justice who has a child or grandchild that had an abortion might view that issue differently after the fact.

Clarence Thomas made perhaps his most poignant comments on an issue of race (might have been affirmative action) and it was based on his real life experience and the experiences of his family.

Look at Arlen Spector in the current stem cell debate. Of course it is not great that he has cancer, but my point is the effect of personal experience on a decision maker.

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points generally.....but probably a bit mis-directed with regard to Souter. Out of all the Justices, he is probably the least pretentious and more "in touch" at least from all the things I've read about him.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    True, but it is my belief that all nine could use a swift kick in the @$$ to varying degrees. ;)

Every once in a while, I go to the clerk's office and file my own motions or I go to the sheriff's office to have something served, just to keep a foot on the ground when I am generally asking our running around people to do stuff for me.

Maybe that is the answer. When a justice writes an opinion, he or she should have to go to the DC Circuit court clerk's office and stand in line to file the opinion. Then he or she should have to prepare envelopes and serve it on all parties and the other 8 justices. ;)

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you a believer in property rights?

16. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Agreed!

Reminds me of a saying...

A liberal is a consevative who has yet to be mugged!

Sort of hope these guys are sucessful. How delicious would that be!

17. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I'm a believer in sensible property rights.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't answer my question.

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Counselor, you and I disagree on a lot of issues but I do not believe you are one to engage in specious legal reasoning......therefore, I find it hard to believe, if you've read the decision, that you would be joining in the chorus of chicken littles saying this is the end of private property rights. You know that's not true.

20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In light of the contex of this entire issue, and the goal of the person seeking to build on Justice Souter's property, the basic principle trying to be made should be self evident to the onlooker, unless your world view is completely different or opposite.

21. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    We are in agreement...I simply said that I found the irony somewhat delicious.

However....

I mean, if you are the person who was on the losing side of the argument to which Souter sat in the majority, you might find some justice in Souter losing his home in a similiar situation...

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about my "world view"....at least as you're defining it.....but I know that my view of Supreme Court jurisprudence generally and the Kelo decision in particular is much less simplistic than that of the perpetrators of the stunt referenced in the article.

23. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the essential thing that should concern people (obviously this hasn't happened to some of you on this thread). The change in the verbage of when eminent domain can be applied. Instead of being applied only to public use, it now is being applied, in this decision, to public purpose, or essentially public "benefit." Is this semantical? I argue no, because words carry meaning. Many people are realizing the slippery slope caused by this new precedent. Where does one draw the line as to what is public benefit and what is not, how far do you take that. Conversely, it was fairly easy to identify what is public use and what is not (i.e. government owned property or infrastructure for public use).

Anyway, it looks like this story is picking up some steam:
    New Hampshire town inundated with support to take justice's home

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please read the entire opinion. That change from "use" to "purpose" occurred nearly 100 years ago. Not one of the justices argues against that fact of when the change occurred. In fact, Justice Thomas laments it.

25. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1905. I know when it occured. That got the precedent ball rolling, now it's in fruition.

Now answer my question that you cleverly ignored earlier. ;)