Rev News 7/1

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ProseLtd, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ProseLtd

ProseLtd Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Shrewsbury, MA USA
  2. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Edozien is the only MLS player qualified to coach his team during the week, then fly the players on a road trip, and score goals in the game." A jack of many trades...

4. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Cassio, waived by the Revolution Tuesday, has been replaced by former MetroStars defensive midfielder Gilberto Flores, who turns 22 next week . . ."

Gilberto Flores

http://www.metrofanatic.com/mf/team/player.jsp?ID=149#

Could somebody please explain to me why we had to trade a draft pick for someone we claimed off waivers?

Not that it was all that much, but according to another thread in this forum, we acquired Flores from the MetroStars for a 4th round pick in next year's supplemental draft even though he was one of the nine players waived a few days ago. I thought these players would just be available.

Did the Metroscum give anything to the Goats for Suarez?

Also, Flores should be a youth/transitional international. We don't have any slot for him in that category.

5. mosler

mosler Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Mashpee, MA
    This is actually clever...I smell Fluto on the scene.

6. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix

7. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    I'm sure they could promote a YI to an SI if they want. They have the slots. Perhaps now is the time to put Dorman on the Senior roster and make him an SI, or maybe make Smith an SI since he is already on the senior roster. Or they could cut an YI on the dev squad. Romaneiro?

8. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't do that--he may be the only one who can translate for Flores ;)

10. Simon Birch

Simon Birch New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    With McOwen's Monkey
    Gilberto was a very solid player for Metro until the Clint Dempsey "incident" last year. He was discovered by Bradley last year and came on strong last June and July (played an outstanding game vs. LA in the HDC where Gaven scored two goals). He is a defensive midfielder but also lines up out wide. Somewhat bewildering that you would release Cassio who was billed as much more of a two-way player to pick up Gilberto....

He has not been the same since his injury-a touch slower mentally, not as hard in the tackle and seems a little slower physically then he was before. He has not started at all this year and played only for the Reserves, giving average performances and not distinguishing himself too much. If he can regain his form from last year, he could push Jospeh for minutes. He might also be an ideal candidate to play outside back.

11. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Somehow I really doubt that...

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    My guess: Flores was brought in as cover for Dempsey, and might provide some additional depth on the wing. Assuming we have Joseph and Dorman as our defensive mid-fielders, that would really leave Nicol without a back-up at that position.

Maybe a change of scenery will result in a change in fortunates, but at the very least, he's good, cheap cover, he can spell Dorman or Joseph late in games, and will probably see significant minutes with the Revolution Reserves.

That being said, the Revs still have a minor allocation (for Daniel Hernandez) they could use, at least one discovery pick, two SI slots available, and what would seem to be a significant amount of cap space.

A lot of foreign players became free agents at midnight, but how active are the Revs in monitoring the radar screen?

The Magpie

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  14. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
  15. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    With the cap on, reaching for his scarf? That's our very own SirFozzie.

16. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if they are not picked in the first waiver draft held after they are waived. If we grabbed him in the waiver draft, we wouldn't have owed them anything. The price of inaction.

The waiver drafts aren't formal anymore, it's just 48 hours after waiver where teams can ask to pick a player up, and if two teams both want in, then the lower ranked team has priority unless the higher ranked team trades up.

17. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Yeah, that's the one. Fozzcat, you look like Chris Moneymaker.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not everyone in that picture is on these here boards, but the following Midnight Riders are represented:

Edlova (all the way to the left), and then from left to right starting with the drummer) Dougly (drummer), SirFozzie and Mike Toole

19. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

you mean starting with the drummer with the brown drum, i dont believe colin posts on here

20. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    That's my friend Gene in the yellow hat. I'm to his immediate right, there's a little piece of my face right behind Ed Lova, just at the edge of the pic...

21. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    ah yes, i see it

mlsnet should definately have more fan pics in their little "match photos" every week

22. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    I just wish I played poker like Chris Moneymaker ;)

Oh.. BTW a little NRC about mefor y'all.

Got some bad news from the doc today, I go under the knife on august 30th for exploratory surgery on my shoulder. In a way, I'm just glad that this thing will finally get looked at and/or fixed