Rev News 11/11

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Rev-eler, Nov 11, 2004.

1. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    They just had a pretty long segment on ESPNews announcing the MVP winner, and during the broadcast they mentioned that they will be carrying the expansion draft.

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exposing Joseph would be the dumbist move a Boston team has made since the Sox traded away Babe Ruth 85 years ago.

It will be interesting to see if any trades are execuite over the next week before the expansion draft. I'm betting the Revs have a few targets in mind but I doubt that we will see any major changes among those players we see as starters.

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree,,, not sure how many beers Jeremy has had today but to keep franchino or Heaps over Shalrie is just nuts. I also think there will be a few deals made and I think there will be possibly two new starters for the Revs next year. This team just does not have what it take to win a championship but I do think they are close

4. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have been able to gather:

Monday, Nov 15: Trading Day
    Wednesday, Nov 17: Protected lists due
    Friday, Nov 19th, 4pm EST: Expansion Draft on ESPNews

I would expect Baker and Brillant to be cut before Wednesday.

5. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    I just checked MLSnet to see who the winner was.

I think I'm gonna be sick.
    Was this by fan balloting does anyone know?
    If not - I just give up...

[​IMG]
    WORST
    MVP
    SELECTION
    EVER

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but he was a clubhouse cancer, the Gazza of his day, always out drinking and carousing. Hey, who knew the guy could also swing a bat pretty well? And besides, Frazee needed the money to finance his failing Broadway musicals... :D

It would be at least as dumb as protecting a young and up-and-coming star like Paul Keegan instead of an over-the-hill, washed up former Nigerian International who threatened to retire if he was picked named Francis Okaroh...
    Trades are hard to make within MLS, and I'm sure all the teams are looking to give up 2 Heaps-Franchino level guys for one star, just so they can protect another Heaps-Franchino level player. My guess is that we'll see a few guys given their walking papers. I can't imagine that MLS would hold the draft before the cut-down day, forcing teams to protect players they will only cut later...

Tom

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice part about the way this is set up you can protect 12--no matter how many you have on your roster. If we cut Howie and Baker and Brilliant along side our DV Roster protected players we will only need to expose a few players. Lots of options open to SN et al.

My guess is that all of the players that got time the last few matches will be protected and will be back next year. Since only 13 players got time and two are Roster protected (Clint and Andy) we will have to choose between Brown or Franchino as the last protected player. My guess is that they will protect Joey and expose Brown since Adin is a high option player at the moment.

Therefore the 12 protected:
    Heaps, John, Rusty, Leonard, Kamler, Ralston, Reis, Pepe, Noonan, Twellman, Jospeh and Franchino

Exposed:
    JMM, Llamosa, Brown

If Brown is picked pull Lamosa back
    If Llamosa is picked pull Brown back

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Urban myth.

No, No Nanette was actually a wildly successful play. And Frazee was a successful producer... he didn't really need the money. He just thought Ruth was Nomar to the nth degree.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't drink alcohol at all actually. Thanks for asking.

I also don't read SoccerDoc's posts, so we clearly have two less things in common than you think.

However, you and SoccerDoc now have one more thing in common than you previously thought.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was a success, but that play didn't come out until 1923. Frazee sold Ruth in the 1919-20 offseason. Frazee had produced a few successful shows in the mid-teens, but he hadn't had a success in some time and was not doing all that well financially by 1919. Why else did the Yankees hold the mortgage to Fenway Park up until Yawkey bought the team?

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

11. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    :confused:

So you'd allow the Revos most effective player, when healthy, to go if you could only protect 8 instead of 9?

Amazing! Absolutely amazing!!!

I guess I know who I wouldn't want anywhere near the protective list.
    Sorry, Jeremy.

The Red Sox win the World Series and I agree with Soccer Doc.
    Hell has indeed frozen over. ;)

12. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Can you imagine the bender that Howey would have to take Nicol, Gulati and Imbriano on for them to even consider bringing the 'slowest player in the history of the Premier League' back for another season of retirement?

A one-legged Joe-Max Moore is still quicker than Howey, who has, after all, hollow legs.

Nicol would have to be under-the-table, Gulati would have to be blitzed to blindness and Imbriano would have to be completely inebriated to bring back Howey. Then again ...

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The best player on the Revs and one of the league's ten best or ... a hard-working, too small, too slow, too injured defender? Hmmm ...

Brown, JMM and Llamosa can be exposed with little likelihood of them being picked up. Kamler is also not too likely.

If it were a matter of having to risk an SI, I think John would be a bigger risk than Cancela, because of his lower salary. But, if the Revs can't waive their extra foreign players now (which they will have to before next season), then they can expose either Brilliant or Baker - neither of whom is likely to be picked up because the expansion teams will be looking for more bang-for-their-SI-buck.

For the most part, the expansion teams will be looking for young, domestic and cheap, although they may grab a few veterans (like a Kamler) if they aren't too expensive to provide some leadership.

14. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
    My wife (who is a big fan also) STILL won't let this one die...No discussion of rosters, discovery picks, the defense, the Revs trademark habit of giving up a lead in the last 20 minutes, is over until she has invoked the name of "The One Who Should Have Been Protected".

15. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    I would cut loose Noonan before I would get rid of Franchino. While Noonan has had a good year, he disappears in most games, (especially the playoffs) and doesn't work very hard off the ball. He is also inconsitant on his runs. I think we could find a better strike partner for Twellman

16. ftruscot

ftruscot Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Franklin, MA
    It may be true that we could find a better partner for Twellman, but Noonan has trade value. If we expose Noonan, he will be taken and we lose a valuable asset. Franchino might be taken if exposed, but that is not certain. If I had to risk losing one of the two for nothing, it would be Franchino. If we want to get rid of Noonan, we protect him, then trade him for value.

17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be too sure about any of the above.

Llamosa might well be attractive to Club America as an American-Hispanic, National Team Player and well respected and composed central defender who is only making mid range money.

Brown is one of the best keepers in MLS when healthy. His recent problem may well keep him from getting a gig overseas but he sure would be a great pickup for either of the expansion clubs. Frankly I'm betting the Revs want to keep him.

Kamler is a great 12-13 man who can play a variety of positions, is a great locker room presence and is only making mid-range money. Revs signed him to a long range contract last year and I'm betting he is on Nicols--"keep" list.

JMM is out of contract and will not be able to renegotiate a contract for any more than mid-range money. I personally think he should retire but if he wants to play and is willing to play for $100K I can see SLC picking him up. He's be a great addition to any new team as a leader and role model. Frankly, I want to see him to get healthy over the winter and play another year for the Revs.

18. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    You do remain hopeful, Doc, I'll give you that. I've long given up any hope of that particular train pulling into the station.

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you notice I said that I think he should retire. There is nothing so sad as to see an athlete who is past his prime fighting to make his body do what time and mutiple insults have taken away. Yet when we see Marino and other able to overcome injuries that would make most players quit---who knows what's possible. JMM has always been one of my favorate players and I was looking forward to seeing him light up us Rev fans for one last season. The last two years have been a real disappointment. I would love to see JMM go out in style--as a Rev.

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    While there is no Rev player I like more than AB, he seems the safest to leave exposed. What expansion team would waste a pick on a player who for all any of us know is at the end of his career?

21. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    How many good players will be available in the draft? If I was running an expansion team, Brown would certainly be worth the risk if he was available.

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How 'bout using a player like Brown for trade bait? If the Revs are serious of trusting their goaltending needs in the hands of Reis, why not get something valuable for him, like defense. I felt the idea of the expansion draft is for the team to expose the players tehy dont want.

23. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    While his injury has postponed his plans, Adin was all over the paper before the season talking about going to Europe. Would an expansion team take him still?? I guess it depends on his contract status with MLS as well as any reconsideration of his European plans because of his injury.