Rev News 1/28: Strike three

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Hed7181, Jan 28, 2008.

1. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    It does seem that they are not "low-balling" on the transfer fee... but again, value is based on worth to the seller and the buyer (if they are not on the same page, the deal does not get done)... To PNE he is a decent forward who can help them (potentially to avoid relegation, for one thing) and to the Revs (and MLS), he is a marquee player who is a national team member and perennial near-top scorer... the valuations are quite different...

based on very little (other than the few transfers of marquee players out of MLS), I would have to say that 4-6 million dollars would be his selling price... of course, I can't say that the league would actually sell him at that price (and it appears that PNE don't value him there), but I suspect that they would...

(of course the Revs would not use any of that money to actually improve the team, but that is a story for another time)...

2. pawn

pawn Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Waltham, MA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who honestly knows who makes the decisions for the Red Sox? Could be a number of people as well.

3. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are people getting this idea that Twellman should get 4-6 million????

Dempsey, the US 's player of the year, was the MLS transfer record at 4 million. How is Twellman (who is older & less dynamic) worth more than Dempsey on the transfer market, especially to a Championship side?

You can say anything you'd like about the negotiations, but it's ridiculous to say that this is anything other than a fair offer.

4. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you know Theo is supposed to making them, with input from Lucchino. That's two people. I've always gotten the impression Epstein gets the last word. Correct me if I'm wrong (GOREVS3000? ProfZodiac?) Can we say anything even remotely close about the Revs?

Not the Globe, the Herald might. Remember, the most in-depth newspaper article on this whole thing was in The Inside Track.

5. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? This kind of stuff happens all the time as a way of pressuring a team to make a deal. PNE don't owe the Revs anything. They want a player, and they are doing what they can to help force a trade or, failing that, at least show their fans they are doing something. I can't see what right the Revs would have to be ticked off.

If the Revs/MLS value Twellman more then PNE is bidding, fine. I have no problem with it. If they are bothered by the negotiations through the press, they can hit back just as well. A simple statement saying "We expect Twellman to play for the contract he signed. His value to his team is much more then the amount we have been offered by PNE, and we have no interest in dealing him for this amount."

6. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What frustrates me is that the newspaper I pay to read doesn't have a reporter who is willing to ask the questions. And I ain't talking about the Nashua Telegraph :)

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly