Retro night? Diplomats Third Kit?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Doctor Woo, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: hey fellow DCU fans what do u think? for historical morale inherit the"Diplomats"

I admit that this is going to sound like a whine, but this is the problem with boards like this and why I usually only participate fitfully.

Lame? Because you weren't interested? Then skip it. Other people might be interested. No reason to characterize their interests as being "lame".

The air of superiority I see in posts like this and in other threads definitely creates a culture that intimidates newbies and keeps the clique that frequents places like Bigsoccer nice and small. Eventually folks go back to being lurkers (at best).

Yeah, I'm being thin-skinned but this isn't the first time I've encountered this. Please, keep it sweet.

2. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Retro night?

i think DC United should add the Diplomats name as a secondary nickname???how bout it????

3. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, I miss the Dips and the days of youth, too, but even I don't think "Dips" is quite up there with "Toffees" or "Saints". At least not yet.

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA

Excellent idea.

I have a feeling that if they sold those again, people would be buying them.

5. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002

Like I said a month ago, I think El Jefe has the rights to the name Dips United.

:)

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those striped socks look like rejects from some sort of hideous psycho-bozo nightmare! God almighty.

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

I had season tickets to the '88 Diplomats (actually '88, '89 and '90). Great fun and a wonderful run in the playoffs. Played home and away against Ft. Lauderdale for the championship. My first date with my wife was to an '89 Diplomats game. I remember Jean Harbor, sort of an A-League "Rocket Roy" and they had a Honduran midfielder whose name I can't remember that really kept things together. Very fond memories of minor league soccer.

8. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Wearing a uniform that has the word "Dips" on the front of it . . . THERE's a great idea.

Who cares about retro night? Just add a third jersey, hopefully one better than the ones the Fire were wearing the other night.

10. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge

Across the back is Ramos, Wegerle, Logan, Harkes, Burns ... I'm drawing a blank on the rest, though I wonder if the Clash guy wasn't John Doyle, and I'm pretty sure the Galaxy dude was actually a player, though I wouldn't bet on it.

As far as retro goes, I was ON the pitch in '79 when Cruyff scored that magical goal against us. Mind you, I was the ballboy directly behind Bill Irwin that day, but I was there. Let's leave past horrors buried where they belong.

But while we're getting mugged in Memory Lane, guys that stick out are:

GK: Eric Martin, Bill Irwin, Bob Stetler, Dragan Radovich (I think he was a 'keeper)

Def: Tommy O'Hara, Mike Dillon, Don Droege, Jim Steele (I think he was a defender), Carmine Marcantonio (ditto)

Mid: Alex Pringle, Sakib Viteskic, John Kerr, Sonny Askew, Johan Cruyff, Thomas Rongen, Wim Jansen, Joe Horvath, Alan Spavin, Gary Darrell

Fwd: Alan Green, Paul Cannell, Ken Mokgojoa, Andries Maseko, Peter Silvester, Tony Crescitelli

I'll admit I cheated and looked at the all-time roster, but these are ALL guys I have definite memories of ...

Eric broke his leg, Bill was our #1 thereafter, Bob had a very distinctive goalkeeping style (low and high-strung), Dragan came on late one game and had to muss his hair by heading a ball outside the box ...

Tommy doing freestyle in a puddle at RFK, Mike demonstrating heading at a clinic at the Springfield Mall, Don with blood streaming down his face getting a red for a girly shin kick against the guy who assaulted him, Jim "the Man of " Steele, Carmine getting turned inside-out and toasted and hauling down a player for a penalty (saw that on TV)

I had Alex Pringle's bubble-gum card though he was well past it by the time I came along, I wore #6 for years because Sakib was one of my favorite players, Kerr was a local coach for years, ditto for Sonny who was memorable on his own anyway, Cruyff ... wow ... , Jansen and Rongen came in at the same time to feed Cruyff the ball and keep him safe from opponents' ill intent, Joe Horvath had one of the sweetest left boots I've ever seen, and scored one of the most incredible goals I've ever seen--I was ranging out to catch it, and the ball just took a right turn (from my perspective) and went in. Looked like it hit a wall right in front of goal. Alan Spavin and Gary Darrell were very influential in the Dips' midfield in '77. Alan retired after that year, and Gary played the elder statesman role from then on ...

Alan Green (who could forget the Inspector?), Paul Cannell, whether he was wearing a "oui" t-shirt at the autograph session or his shorts at half-mast, Ken Mokgojoa wore #15, and started a few games--mostly a second-half sub, Andries "Six Lights" Maseko, who earned his nickname by apparently scoring six goals the first time he played under lights--he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat ... Peter Silvester is mostly a name I remember--but he is a name I remember, Tony Crescitelli went on to play for Team America and the Fort Lauderdale Sun. Great guy, but he always looked too heavy to play. Fantastic touch in front of goal though ...

Yeesh. Thanks for the opportunity to date myself guys!

11. dc the winning tradition

Mar 31, 1999
    I really liked the fires 3rd jersey. something a little different from all the teams wearing some combo or red with black or blue.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Tangentially, what happened to Hummel's "throwbacks" which were supposed to have been coming out last year?

13. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think this thread has drawn out the nostalgia in lots of folks, which is not such a bad thing. Hopefully the younger among us will never have the chance to get nostalgic over DCU because it won't be going anywhere. (Please, God?)