Reserve Leagues/Open Cups Importance

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by footballfantatic, May 29, 2012.

1. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chad Barrett had this to say on ESPN.com about the reserve games and Open Cup games:
    "This is an opportunity for players who haven’t been able to play so much, even me, to get in there and show that I deserve to be starting with the regular team on a regular basis. ... There’s a bunch of guys that were drafted this year, second-year players and some veterans. We play in reserve games together, we like playing together, and that’s pretty much what's going to get put out there, mostly a reserve team, the second team, and we’re going to come out flying against them, I think.”

I honestly hate the idea of sending a reserve team to the Open Cup, but Barrett has changed my mind. These are the important games that matter and these new players will either show well or make the case to be cut when it matters. Reserve games don't mean anything for the non-rookies who already have a spot on the team, but you put almost any player in a tournament and they are bound to give more effort. I obviously know that the more games they play the more cohessive they'll get, but it really is the more important games they play that matters.

2. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, Chad it was such an opportunity and you failed. Only Hector Jimenez used said opportunity to show he should be starting with the regular team. The rest of the reserves showed why they are reserves. To be fair, a few were rookies and so they have a chance to improve to regular starter status. But for you Chad and Lopes and the rest of you who have been playing professionally for many years ...... oy vey. :eek:

4. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member+

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Brian Rowe (third string GK) got worked today in Seattle in our reserve match game, giving up three goals in a span of 20 minutes.

What's up with Buddle? He said he was close to coming back. He had ear marked the Chivas reserve match on Aug 7th as his possible return game. He didn't, so I thought we'd for sure see him start this game. We need him, and our next reserve team match is not until Sep 4th. I'm starting to get nervous.

Does anyone know anything about this Oscar Sorto kid? He's started and played all 90 minutes in our last three reserve matches.

6. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based off of our reserve games it looks like he and Mendiola are probably are most highly rated players. I would say they are our next two, other than maybe Zardes, on our list as far as HG signings. He supposedly can play rb and cb and has some attacking qualities. He also was supposed to go to CSUB this fall but isn't on their roster anymore, leading to more speculation.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best news of the day:
    Donovan comes on in the Timbers reserve match and in his first nine minutes has an assist and a goal. Looks like he's back, and still in-form.