Research question for Whitecaps experts

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by C-bus, Jan 7, 2017.

1. C-bus

C-bus Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greetings Whitecaps fans. I am writing an academic paper on MLS and have a very specific question that someone here may be able to answer for me.

According to press releases on player transfers, Kenny Miller was signed as Vancouver's third DP on 7/16/2012. Four days later (7/20/2012), DP Eric Hassli was traded to TFC dropping the number of DP's to 2. Teams that employed 3 DP's in 2012 were subject to a $250,000 luxury tax that became allocation money for teams that didn't.

My question to you is:
    since Vancouver only had 3 DP's for 4 days, did they still have to pay this tax or did the timing allow them to avoid it since it was only 4 days?

I appreciate the help if you happen to know.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    latest news:

http://theprovince.com/sports/socce...h-is-ready-to-show-whitecaps-what-hes-learned

thoughts:
    1. manneh- has speedto burn, but often looses control of the ball and rarely is seen inside the 18 yard box- not physically strong and lacks courage- will get you up to 8 goals/season

2. ross jenkins, MF, 26, on trial- 5 goals in 9 seasons, mostly with tier 3-4 teams, averaging 5 appearances over the past 5 years with lower league squads- WTF! why bring him in when there are WC 2 players looking for 1st team time and they are younger- must be coming as a free agent, maybe paying his own air fare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Jenkins_(footballer,_born_1990)

this is he worst lead-up to a season since the 1970's- hopeless and cheap

this is beginning to be a tragic comedy

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    oops- wrong forum - sorry

4. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Getting information like this is very very hard. MLS does not release all their financial rules, information, etc (one of the bigger problems with MLS and its engagement of fans...... all of us armchair managers have to speculate on the numbers and rules)..

From what I remember, they were required to pay this tax. HOWEVER, it is possible Garber made some behind the scenes exception for them... he is known for doing things like that and not revealing it to the public. So, I can't give you a definitive answer.

My answer is this: They should have paid it, discussion was they would, however with how Garber operates the league it is very possible he got them out of it due to it "only being 4 days". So, I doubt any fan can 100% confirm your question other than speculation or an educated guess.

Doing a research paper on MLS player movement and salary cap issues is a difficult task because they are the most secretive league in North American pro sports when it comes to these matters. Garber arbitrarily re writes and changes rules to fit certain circumstances and desired outcomes for the league or certain clubs. He also can not add a new player movement or salary rule without adding multiple layers to it thus making it more convoluted.

C-bus repped this.