Reputations of CA college coaches and programs?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by dorset, Feb 18, 2009.

1. WineKeeper

WineKeeper New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Ok, we have heard a lot about the D1 programs in California and the Pac 10. What about the D3 programs in Southern California? In particular, the very strong academic programs like Claremont McKenna, Occidental and Pomona. Not every kid who is D1 capable is interested in either D1 or the MLS. They want to play high level soccer; but, the main goal is the education. So, what is the word?

2. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Yeah.

Cal State Bakersfield is terrible. A team full of hardworking players but not very talented in regards to football.

USD are notorious underachievers. With the talent they pull in, they should be capable of much much better than they produce.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: From the horses mouth

Hasn't UCLA produced 2 of the past 4 top overall picks in the MLS draft? (Wynne in 06 and Myers in 08, both as sophomores.)

I would say, in college soccer terms, having two players taken first overall would count as a player of consequence, especially given neither came in as the top recruit in the country.

IMO, the biggest issue facing UCLA lately has been the number of players leaving early. Besides Wynne and Myers, you've had Sal Zizzo, Benny Feilhaber, Kamani Hill - all of whom went on to play first team games in the German first division - Tony Beltran, Chad Barrett, Pat Ianni.

You lose that much talent early and it effects what you do on the field.

4. jojoboom

jojoboom New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington

I see it as the biggest issue as well and JS is responsible for this culture because he creates it and recruits for it. If JS spent more time recruiting a team rather than individuals then more players would stay on to be upperclassmen. Unfortunately, ex JS players often have mixed feelings about their soccer experience at UCLA. The culture in the program is difficult for some players to endure and so leaving early can be tempting. In addition to a great resume, JS should also recruit for character. Not every national team player has both.

5. *Oracle*

*Oracle* Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Lancaster

I keep hearing this complaint. But by the looks of the recent signing class and the verbals in the 2010 class espn-rise is reporting, I detect a different approach or emphasis. At a minimum, UCLA appears to be striking a balance in their recent approach by recruiting both the high profile player and perhaps those players somewhat under the radar.

6. jojoboom

jojoboom New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington

Well part of it is that not every national team player wants to go to UCLA anymore although a good amount still do. The landscape is changing. There are other programs that are doing a much better job of player development. A player leaves UCLA much as he came. Anyway, I was not saying that UCLA had too many national team players. The point I am trying to make has nothing to do with whether or not UCLA has an abundance of high profile players or not. What JS struggles to recruit for and do is to create a special team dynamic. There are unspoken trust and respect issues on the team. By the time many players leave the program they feel beat up mentally. JS,IMO, needs to equally look at both the recruits resume and character. It doesn’t take many charismatic bullies or self-centered personalities on a team to create a divide especially when they go unchecked.

7. Proud Mama

Proud Mama New Member

May 9, 2006
    OC

Agree with you on your statement not so much that it has to do with UCLA specifically, but with all college recruits. I know that college coaches don't have a ton of time in the recruiting process, but instead of just looking at the paper resume, and maybe catching one or two games that a player plays, that coaching staff should also ask character questions about that potential recruit maybe from past club or high school coaches or ODP coaches, etc. Character says alot about a player's performance and eventually the team's. And a college coach should not think "he can change them". Usually it's already formed and too late, and by the time the college coach figures out he can't change them, the destructive behavior to the team may be too late.

8. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005

This is true. But some coaches in California look at the whole person when recruiting. One easy way to measure a player's ability to get along with others is talking to teammates and coaches. Another is to look at team results. Show me a player who has played on different teams in different environments over the years and has always won, and my interest is immediate. Some players just find a way to win wherever they go. Some players have a way of bringing out the best in others. It's a gift, maybe the most important when assessing a player.

9. virtuallock

virtuallock New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reputations of CA college coaches and program?

I completely agree. Those are the truly special players. Back to the topic about California coaches, the same criteria should be used by AD's when choosing coaches as well. I think there are only a few coaches - California or otherwise - and/or assistants - that know how to win and win wherever they go. The list, IMO, would be small and would be the real elite group of coaching talent in the state.