Reopening the Name debate

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Z010 Union, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard Atomic, Phalanx, Atoms, Fury. My purpose for this thread is that it won't get buried in another one (like the Buy the Wiz thread)

Here are some interesting history based nicknames (I'm probably not the first to bring 'em up, but what the hay)

Railers - 1809 September The first experimental railroad track laid down in the United States was constructed by Somerville, a Scotch millwright, for Thomas Leiper of Philadelphia, and laid down in a yard adjoining the Bulls’s Head Tavern, in the Northern Liberties. It was sixty yards in length, and graded an inch and a half to the yard.

Engineers or Locomotive - 1831 Matthias W. Baldwin built an experimental locomotive engine according to his own plans, and differing in many respects from the English engines, which was tested on April 25th on a railroad track laid down in the Philadelphia Museum Arcade, Chestnut Street, and was exhibited there afterward. Subsequently the same engine ran for several months upon a railroad track laid down at Smith’s Labyrinth Garden, on the north side of Arch Street, between Schuylkill Seventh and Eighth (Fifteenth and Sixteenth).
    In this year Matthias W. Baldwin founded here what has become the largest locomotive building works in the world.

Framers - as in Framers of The Constitution

Independence

These are just a few I gleaned from a quick glance at city history.

On a side note, Philadelphia City SC would be fine. And then we could arrive at a nickname.

2. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or that name might insinuate a soccer team who hits the woodwork a few times too many.

I like this last suggestion the best.

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Lighthouse FC....

maybe yellowjacket FC too.....

4. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Yellowjacket SC - black and yellow hoops

I am afraid WIP would wipe out any hard core sports fans from attending matches with the "In America, we call it soccer. Football is for men. Soccer is for girls" **************** that dominates their airwaves whenever it comes up.

Like it or not, it will take a major apocalypse for the sport we love to be called football here in the States. American rules football is too ingrained at every level with that moniker. It is similar to what rugby rules football faces in England.

5. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the Philadelphia Athletic. Honoring the Philadelphia A's of many moons ago. That's it, done!! I have it!

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    aren't the Kixx advertising on WIP???

and with the Phillies moving there, I wonder if the anti-baseball rhetoric gets lessened...

saw EPL and MLS are working together...

perhaps ....EPL side wants a franchise in mls...

Philadelphia Arsenal anyone...

Philadelphia Hotspur....all the way down the line...

7. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    oh hell no.

;)

8. fgn

fgn Member

Jun 14, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm not a fan of using "SC". If it can't be Philadelphia Whatevers FC, I'd rather it just Philadelphia Whatevers. I understand the argument against using FC, I don't agree (those who hate will hate anyway), but I understand.
    I see using "SC" in place of "FC is a sellout. Just my opinion, no offensive to those who feel differently.

9. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's got my vote.

or if we must have a traditional soccer sounding name -

AC (Athletic Club) Philadelphia

10. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is all mental masturbation until we get a team to name...

11. killbilly

killbilly New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Now as you can tell my ideas are usally looked down upon but here it goes again... why not Yellowjakets AFC (Association Football Club) you still get you use Football but you point out its not "American" Football.

12. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philadelphia Talons

13. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Uh, no. DC United's mascot is named Talon, so not only would the league not do it the Philly fans would puke at the idea of naming something in their city after something in Washington.

14. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    philadelphia already has a birdy name...

15. Shredder

Shredder New Member

Feb 21, 2001
    'Philadelphia City' straight up. Simple and classy.

16. D-Wall

D-Wall Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When have you ever, EVER heard of Philly being called "Philadelphia City?" It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Maybe for cities like:

Oklahoma City
    Kansas City
    New York City
    Jersey City

But when has Philly been identified as "Philadelphia City?" That name would be dropped as soon as it hit the papers. So then we would be called "Philadelphia." Good one.

The names I would go for would translate to the rough fans that our beloved city is known for:

FC Philadelphia Demons
    FC Philadelphia Rouges
    FC Philadelphia Hellions

Another name that I like and harkens back to an old Philly club would be either: Philadelphia Inter (as in Internationals).
    Or Inter Philadelphia.

And no more alliterative names like Phalanx. Ick.

17. m00kie

m00kie New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Mannheim, Germany
    If philly ever gets a team, they should try to be associated with FC DELCO because of their tradition in the area. if philly had a team, i would name them FC DELCO.

18. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Nobody asked me, but I think this an excellent suggestion.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

i doubt too many here are against masturbation....

20. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Superb, so then it's settled...

21. MCFC max

MCFC max New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Cleveland

Philadelphia City Foootball Club.... PCFC?

or maybe even....

Philadelphia City Athletic Club.... PCAC? or Philadelphia City Soccer Club... PCSC?

I LOVE it either way for obvious reasons but just refer to them as CITY.

22. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    D-Wall is right man, its like in the Detroit thread where they wanted to do the same thing; Detroit City. The only time a city has the word "city" in it is if it is already part of the city's name. it wouldn't sound right if i put the word "city" right after cities that didn't have the word "city" in the first place. i.e. San Jose City, Dallas City, Columbus City, Los Angeles City, Boston City, Washington City, Denver City, etc.:confused:

If people want the name to be simple and classy, the name it either SC Philadelphia or Philadelphia SC.

23. MCFC max

MCFC max New Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Cleveland
    I see your point but lets look at a couple of examples where it does work with out the name of the town being "something city".

We can start with my beloved Manchester City and Manchester United (scum), the town name is just Manchester but "City" seems to work just fine thank you. Other examples... Birmingham City, Coventry City, Norwich City, Leicester City.... and the list goes on.

The name "city" usually denotes the fact that the club is actually from the city it's named after rather than the close suburbs. Example, Manchester United (scum) actually play in Trafford (which is a suburb that borders Manchester proper), as the name of the stadium hints at (Old Trafford). The other case is that the city itself has some ownership of the club as in the situation at Green Bay with the Packers. So it's the Green Bay City (or municipal) Football Club.

So if Phila is actually going to build the stadium in city limits it does make sence, if not then no it doesen't.

My vote is for the Philadelphia City Athletic Club (as in the City Athletic Club) or the Athletic Club of Philadelphia... as in AC Philidelphia

both work for me.

By the way "Go on you Citizens"

24. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    A city or town starting with "P" is VERY hard to put the "City" or "United" or "Town" or "Athletic" etc names on them. I wish my Team Perth Glory was Perth City or something like that but it isn't and funny and lame it sounds, it sticks so i like it but back to the point. For Philadelphia's case, a simple FC Philadelphia is all that is needed.

25. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are so many experts on this particular topic, we should have no problem coming up with a name...:D