Remembering 9/11/01

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by house18, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Once I'd heard about the attack, I pretty much started paying attention to how the masses were responding. I kept wondering where these people had been hiding out all their lives to be so shocked at the attack. Perhaps it was the enormity, the method, or the suddeness, but someone here posted about a "loss of innocence". The general perception that there was ever innocence here to lose was what struck me. Bombings and attacks happen every day in some part of the world. Knowing this, and being aware that every nation of consequence has had its share of atrocities (usually less publicized, and often directed at its own inhabitants), I was able to watch the news reports the same way I always have when something like this happens.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Oh, and what would your solution be? I'm sure you could think of a totally bloodless solution. Stop living in your fantasy world and face facts.

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    A valiant concept, but one that was doomed, ultimately, and really, if you were thinking about soccer that day, you're fortunate. My "soccer" memory of that day is the best friend of one of my college teammates dying. My non-soccer memory is of fleeing a burning building, and frantically trying to account for all of my co-workers.

Everyone had their own experience. Those who want to use your "let's remember a tradegy" invitation to say "your country sucks" are guilty of demeaning great tragedy.

4. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    And the MILLIONS of Asians the JAPANESE RAPED, TORTURED and MURDERED. If we don't, no one would. I know the JAPANESE don't.

5. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that is because it never happened....or at least that is what they think over there in Japan.

6. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    You must have me confused with some other mindless, flag-waving, pro-U.S yahoo. I don't think my country is god's gift to the world and I don't think it's perfect. I'm the first one to criticize our foreign policy when I think its wrong and will continue to do so in the future. I don't think you should be eternally grateful (though some gratitude would be nice), follow the U.S. unconditionally or value U.S. deaths over other deaths. What I do think is that given the history the U.S. has vis-a-vis' Europe you should refrain from making callous and inconsiderate remarks on this thread about 9/11. That's not too much to ask is it? The U.S. has given a tremendous amount to Europe in lives and in dollars over the last
    century or so. And the continent is much better off because of the influence of American foreign policy. All I'm saying is that taking all this into account you should be a little more respectful when someone starts a discussion regarding Sept. 11th. Or if you somehow find it impossible to be respectful ignore the thread altogether. It certainly wouldn't kill you to do that.

To house18: Sorry this thread became one big flame war. It was a great idea but unfortunately I couldn't resist responding to posters eager to show indifference and disrespect to the topic. As someone who actually watched the towers fall from my New Jersey suburb some of these posts touched a raw nerve.

7. fishbiproduct

fishbiproduct New Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Pasadena Ca.
    Same here, I cannot and will not forget this.
    But it is a "taboo" now. I realize a lot of
    people would rather not know about this,
    (families, friends, etc of the victims) and maybe
    for their own sake, so I understand.
    For someone like me, an "observer", it helps
    putting a human face on what happened that
    day. Here are two articles about this, the second
    being a long and difficult read. Some may prefer
    avoid reading them, understandable:

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0110/drew.htm

http://www.keepmedia.com/ShowItemDetails.do?refID=19&item_id=262146

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I was temped with this
    "makes me look like a bigger *@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@# than I actually am"

BUT

Give us a kiss instead then...:D

9. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    Actually, we in fact didn't WIN the American Revolution because of the French......examen your history(and I'm not talking about what you learned in high school history class) before you make this broad statement.

10. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yes we did. It's very simple. If the French did not come over and help train our men and turn them into soldiers we would not have won the war. Plus, they also sent over thousands of troops to fight off the British. In reality, Ben Franklin was the man most responsible for winning the war. If it wasn't for him the French would have never agreed to fight that war. But history, mainly American history, says that George Washington was the hero. Washington was not the great General that the history books make him out to be. And if it wasn't for the French teaching him how to run an army he would be a nobody. But I guess it is easier to tell most Americans that Washington won the war then to say that it was Franklin and the French.

11. Basti

Basti New Member

May 9, 2002
    Hmm Korea... vietnam?

Anyways, horrific event I actually knew someone on one of the planes. I remembered being glued to the Television all day, lots of innocent people died that day and will be remembered forever just like hiroshima and nagasaki

12. Jester20000000

Jester20000000 New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    how about all of u stop arguing like little children and just shut up

13. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the US didn´t start the Korean war.

14. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    There we have a nice man/woman
    God bless you.

15. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, and those Palestine people and radical fundamentals celebrated when they learn about that evil terrorist attack during 9-11.

What a sickening display!

16. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Nor did we Vietnam.

17. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    You know a lot of that stuff was faked by the media, right?

18. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    why dont you start your own vietnam thread than eh???
    or maybe do a thread for the kurds who saddam hussain gassed with chemicals weapons..

You and your clowns mates are boring everyone to sleep with your listing of every event in history.

19. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was sickening when I first saw it, but then I found out it was fake. The people in those videos weren't celebrating 9/11.

20. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    Le mystery

This le message group has le absolutely nothing to do with le football, it is le mystery what it is doing on le beautiful game forum.

I will le call le Scooby Doo and his le gang so they can le try to solve this mysterious mystery.

21. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Re: Le mystery

If you go back and read the start and then my subsequent messages you'd know that it was about soccer related memories of 9/11 but apparently without someone standing over them with a detention slip in hand some people can't stay on topic. Sad really since the people who responded to what I wanted this to be about had some good stories.

22. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    I le wonder why le moderator has not le closed this message group when it is le exactly le same as the one he closed of moi?

C'est un another mystery for le Scooby gang, my le le guess is that he is le racist.