Remember the silly season before twitter?-The Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalTexan3, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah the silly season continues and we all miss the good old days when the transfer window was like waiting for Christmas Day. carry on.

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think twitter makes the quiet deal impossible - I suspect we've had a lot of deals fall apart over the last few years because someone got wind of it.

3. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    examples please

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Melo? I'd venture Matuidi as well. Best example would have been Ribery - we totally would have signed him in 2001-2003.

All I'm saying is that stuff like twitter has made it harder for us to keep things hush hush - once word gets out, that drives up the price of the deal, making it harder to complete.

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    transfer speculation is 10X better with twitter.
    not sure why it get's bagged on so much.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    id wager twitter has no affect on the completion of a transfer

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Previous thread had someone ask (paraphrasing) "Who's more to blame (for Arsenal's struggles) - The Board or Wenger?"

As I've said before I blame the FA & UEFA, at least in part. How many of these struggles would still be a factor if Chelsea and City weren't allowed to use financial doping? Arsenal's current model is based on a world where clubs have to fend for themselves. Now at least 2 clubs operate within a different reality, to say nothing of some others we might see in the CL.

8. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    You had to expect some drop back going to Emirates, initially at least. Then you have billionaires coming in and funding competitors. We went from an environment where it was us, United, or Liverpool challenging for the league and Europe to City, Chelsea, and Spudz joining the party.

9. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did you guys know that clichy has played 187 matches for arsenal?

you know what the number 187 stands for ?!

10. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    Definitely. I feel right now, however, that there is no interest in trying to compete. I almost feel the club is deliberately trying to become a mid-table side. Obviously we aren't going to be able to compete with the likes of City's money. But this club has very substantial resources and a very popular global brand and it seems as though those running the club don't care and would rather we were Fulham.

11. CRASH 4 ARSENAL

Jan 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The number of shot attempts he put in the stands out of 190 attempts?

12. BenP

BenP Member

May 23, 2006
    A Europe-wide salary cap might be something worth trying. I don't think FFP is going to make much difference.

I'll be interesting to see what happens with City. If they become a totally dominant side in 2 or 3 years and even Man U gets into a situation where they can't really compete, I wonder what will happen.

13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    187? Was that because 789?
    ;)

14. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    must spread....

15. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see European football be more about good coaching, good development and talent rather than who's got the biggest wallet.

I'd like to see clubs like Ajax be relevant again.

16. Just Blaze

Just Blaze Member

Jun 19, 2007
    NoVa temporarily
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's actually played 264 times for Arsenal.

17. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    been saying it for ages, and make it the same realistic max figure per player for all teams in all top divisions (maybe using coefficients or something to level out differences?), though i might even be generous and allow clubs a small % "owner's gift" above legitimate income per year.

18. antiwhinger

antiwhinger Member

Nov 1, 2008
    cambridge
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

apparently its 187 premier league appearances for arsenal...that's what it says on his wiki page.

just for fun -- nasri has played a total of 290 games in his career. if we subtract the number of teams he has played for -- 2 teams, then we get 288. (at marseille, i think he ran his contract down to 1 year as well).

incidentally, a 288 is the police code for lewd conduct.

(a 187 is police code for homicide.)

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im completely floored that some folks have no idea what 187, lol

how do you enforce it tho?

20. Just Blaze

Just Blaze Member

Jun 19, 2007
    NoVa temporarily
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whitepeopleproblems.txt

Wait, I'm white :confused:

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

22. Dynamo and ArsenalFC

Aug 5, 2006
    Beaumont
    So what do people actually think the chances are that csec nasri and clichy all go? And assuming we bring in some of the names we've been linked with(samba, cahill, oshea, gervinho, alvarez, mata) how do you think the 011/012 campaign will go? I know that my questions have a lot of uncertainties/what ifs/ect. around them, but I just don't see how selling three of our starters really benefits us for next season. Yes I know a bit of shaking up needs to happen, but with players like bednter and denilson and almunia; not csec nasri and clichy.

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    but the core are the players who let us down at the end of the season, and pretty much laid down their swords

I dont think they all should go, but I also dont see it as that big of a loss if Wenger spends the money

in fairness, that could benefit Arsenal for tax purposes, also I bet most major transfers are handled that way... I think Barca still owe us money from the Henry transfer

24. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Honestly mate, do you want them here if they don't want to be here?

Those same guys you mentioned have continuously wet the bed when called on. After another late season collapse I don't really care who goes.