Remember the NASL MEMPHIS ROGUES?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by sounderfan, Nov 6, 2003.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  2. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    What exactly do Memphis, Rogues, and Elephants have to do with each other?

3. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A rogue elephant is one that separates from the herd, creating a one-animal stampede.

And there are as many elephants in Memphis as there are tigers in Detroit. That doesn't mean it can't be a cool team name, either way.

4. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    Rogues?

How can you have a team of Rogues? Isn't a rogue, by definition, solo? It's like the Dallas Mavericks, isn't a Maverick a solo.

from Merriam-Webster.com

rogue elephant - a vicious elephant that separates from the herd and roams alone

Maverick - an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Re: Rogues?

This is why coaching is so important...

6. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Originally, I believe, the "Rogues" handle also refers to the riverboat legacy of Memphis....riverboat gamblers and ruffians..."rogues"....but then the elephant became popular and stuck...

(Edit: Oops- I see the link covered most of the following):

Memphis had a very loyal following for what was mostly a very crappy team, for 2 of 3 years at bottom of entire league... pretty good to average between 7-10k given how bad they were...the brief indoor team was a sensation averaging near 8k (a few sellouts) and losing in final to Tampa (1979-1980)....the outdoor team highlites included a 1-0 win over 24-6, Chinaglia/Alberto Cosmos (1978) and a 55 yard goal by Marindihna (1980)....of course, they had a great (yet often blind on long shots) goalie named John Houska (fans shouted Hoooo-ska on every save), who woulda been as marketable as Shep Messing/Clint Mathis had he played in NY and been a better player

Pretty amazing, actually, that Memphis hasn't been able to put together the right A-League entry....should be a 3-5k average attendence there if marketed correctly (there is a suburban, soccer specific stadium that could be upgraded)...but of course, this means some rich guy who likes to lose money must show up and foot bill...similiar to AAA baseball team (really a non-profit), and I guess the Fed Ex Rogues aren't really for prime time yet...

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The Rogues, or more to the point, one Rogue, has a legacy that is still seen in MLS.

I forget the guys name, he is German, I think, but one of the former Rogues stuck it out in Memphis and got into youth coaching.

He had a a youth club that produced Richard Mulrroney, Jon Walker, Ross Paule, Carey Talley and former MLS player Tony Kuhn.

They were all on the same Memphis youth team. I don't quite know why there hasn't been more players from Memphis make it in MLS since but I know this guy, the former Rogue whose name I can't remember, coached all the MLS players as kids.

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You are probably thinking of Richard Bute, who I believe is Hungarian or Polish originally, and played goalie for Memphis Americans (MISL).

BTW- He also had a LOT of help in building that club...a lot of good local guys I know/knew...but kudos to Richard for recognizing that the club model was the wave of the future...

9. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  10. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Blast from the Past

My first pro game attended was the Rogues vs Roughnecks exhibition in War Memorial Stadium, Little Rock, Arkansas, as seen on ESPN2 last night. Back then the stadium had astroturf IIRC. It was about 100 years ago I think.

Now that you have brought it up, I definitely remeber shouting Hooooo SKA. Went to an indoor game or two as well. Thanks for dredging up the good memories.

I had a treasured Rouges T-shirt with the logo on the pennant displayed on the front. The T-shirt finally got so thread worn that I had to let it rest in peace.

11. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    How do you have a team of rogues?

Hire Phil Jackson as your coach.

12. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fixed your post.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the Memphis Rogues used to play against this team? :)

[​IMG]

14. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Yes. The Rogues also played THIS TEAM!

A name even MORE famous in US pro soccer history..."Sounders! Sounders! SOUNDERRRRRS!"
    [​IMG]

15. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Who's that in the pic (goalscorer)? (Derek Smethurst?)

16. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Seattle's Roger Davies, 1980 NASL MVP!

17. Tommaso

Tommaso New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Anybody know where I can buy a legitimate Memphis Rogues jersey?