Remastered Beatles

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anybody picking these up today? I went to Best Buy to get the Rock Band and they had all them in a box set. G-damn $200 impulse purchase!
    I'm not opening them up yet as I listen to them mostly on my ipod and I'm not sure if the quality will hold up or my old CDs will do fine. Has anybody heard?

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you buy the mono or the stereo version? Not sure which I would choose -- actually, I'm not sure if I've ever even heard stereo versions of the mono stuff.

I doubt I will ever grab those since I believe I have all the albums digitially at this point (plus the Anthologies tracks that somebody gave me, which has created duplicate havoc in my iTunes) -- but I can't say it's not attractive. Especially all the artwork and notes.

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    comes with docs and other stuff too .... they had stereo and mono mixes. got the stereo box as that was everything whereas the mono box was just the albums originally released in mono (and was more expensive). seems like it could be rare. the best buy I was at this morning only got two of them.

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still waiting for Apple to cover the Beatles catalog.

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Jobs may be announcing that as I type. I just read that; No inside info here.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    presentation has been over for a bit ... no Beatles announcement.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    My understanding was that, in the early 60s, the mono version of anything was considered the "definitive" version, as that was the technological norm. If the mono box set only includes the records that were originally in mono, I'd recommend getting that and then completing the discography with individual CDs for the remaining records.

8. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm very wary of 'remastered' anything, as it usually just means adding brickwall compression.

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pixies.

10. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'd be curious to listen to some of this, but I can't quite imagine buying it. I too listen to everything on my iPod nowadays, and the stereo version of some Beatles and Mamas & Papas songs are just downright annoying on headphones, getting vocals in one ear and music in the other, etc.

That said, just for schlitz and giggles, from our bus trip during the Azteca hex game, this guy had us cracking up[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N2lXGXAvj8].[/ame]

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    fyp.

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp. funny EVERY time. :rolleyes:

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being old enough to remember. The first true stereo recordings were made by Audio Fidelity. I still remember them. My dad had a few. They were a compliation of special effects, comedy and music such as Louis Armstrong playing the St James Infirmary.

A number of the early albums were mon recordings. Personally, if George martin went back and remixed the old mono, I'd stay with the stereo. One of the distinctions of listening to the Beatles was how Martin and the boys always placed the vocals on their tracks. It's very distinctive. You know instantly it's a Beatles recording.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good points, Alberto. I couldn't afford both (that woulda been like $400!) and so I went with the stereo box set because it was cheaper and complete.