Remaining Fixtures - the fight for survival

Discussion in 'West Ham United' started by thethinwhiteduke, Feb 16, 2010.

1. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    looking ahead at the last thirteen matches, there is a pretty stark contrast between our home and away matches. we have 7 home and 6 away remaining. the 6 away matches are all against tough opposition:

Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton, Liverpool, Fulham

from those 6, honestly i would be happy if we picked up 3 points. if we got 2, it could be a decent showing.

then looking at the 7 home matches:
    Hull, Bolton, Wolves, Stoke, Sunderland, Wigan, Man City

from those 7 we could easily take a minimum of 12 points, quite possibly 15 or so....

this leads me to two thoughts....

1) i am strangely optimistic about our survival. we have lots of matches remaining against weak teams, many at home and we should be able to pick up the needed points
    2) the fact that we are where we are is partially due to the injuries, the financial uncertainty, the struggles but also largely due to the fixture list. we have played the 'top four' at home and have managed to nick a few points. however, we have played most of the weaker teams on the road where its more of a struggle.

sorry for the rant and the dime store analysis. just trying to rationalize some optimism!

2. Lasse

Lasse Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Espoo
    So damn right You are! Added with the fact this season´s been the silliest as far I remember when it comes to home and away forms. Virtually NOBODY gets points away. Just look at the teams we´ll play home:

Hull 0-4-9
    Bolton 2-2-7
    Wolves 2-3-7
    Stoke 1-6-5
    Sunderland 1-3-9
    Wigan 3-2-8 (including that famous Spurs match)
    ManC 3-6-4

But then again, as You defined, the teams we´ll play away:

ManU 11-1-1
    Chelsea 12-1-0
    Arsenal 10-1-2
    Everton 6-5-2
    Pool 9-2-2
    Fulham 8-2-3

So. We just have to get the points at home.