relegated league teams that scored six + goals in a match

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by dor02, Jan 26, 2006.

1. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This thread is about teams who got relegated at the end of the season but during that season, this team had scored six or more goals in a match.

I'll start with some Serie A matches. In the 1992-93 season, Fiorentina defeated Ancona 7-1 but at the end of the season, La Viola finished third last.

In the 1995-96 Serie A season, Cremonese thrashed Bari 7-1 and Cremonese still finished second last.

What are some other examples that you know of?

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I knew of National teams who did that after getting eliminated in the first round. Spain beat Bulgaria 6-0 or 6-1 in WC 1998. England destroyed Greece 5-0 in a friendly match right before WC 1994.

3. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Osasuna in 1935-1936 did this, not once, but three times!

Osasuna 6-0 Betis
    Osasuna 6-1 Espanol
    Osasuna 6-3 Sevilla

They also won 5 of their last 6 games of 22 overall, but still finished last.

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh my goodness.....:eek:

Here are some more:

-Padova in the 1929-30 Serie A season won 7-0 against Pro Patria but they finished second last.

-Napoli thrashed Reggina 6-2 in the 2000-01 season but they finished second last.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I believe Boro did this in that fateful season in 1996/97

Middlesbrough 6-1 Derby County

Ravenelli scored a hattrick iirc.

We also beat Chester City in the cup 6-0 in that season - if that counts.

6. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ravanelli! Great man!

It doesn't count but it is nice to know nevertheless.

I've found a result in the Bundesliga. MSV Duisburg in the 1991-92 season defeated Karlsruhe 6-2 but MSV still finished second last. A player called Tonnies scored five goals for MSV.

7. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    it was 6- 1, but Spain had a chance to go through, but Paraguay beat Nigeria in the other game (played at the same time), so they were not already out, but them going out was confirmed just as they won 6-1 - tough huh?!

This is a little different, sort of the other way round.. I think we, Norwich City, are the team that finished highest with a negative goal difference, in the first ever Premiership:- 1992/1993 Premiership Final table We finished third with -4 GD.... I think this is a record for any top flight leagues. - more in keeping with this thread... any relegated teams had a positive GD? Shouldn't think so.

8. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  9. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In regards to Fiorentina in the 1992-93 Serie A season, there was another result that I forgot to mention. In the final round, Fiorentina beat Foggia 6-2.

10. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Man City in 1938 had a positive goal difference in getting relegated. They were defending champions at the time, and scored more goals than Arsenal who took the title off them.

11. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Fascinating that:-
    1938 Table they scored 80, and conceded 77. Thanks

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I read the thread title, it made me think of the exact same thing. Now this was a funny match because you had players crying their eyes out and slumping their way back to the halfway line instead of celebrating after scoring goals. Also Russia and Cameroon met in the group stages in both 1990 and 1994. On both occasions they played each other in the last game of the group stage and on both occasions Russia won, quite convinsingly with a combined score of 10-1! Ironically, Russia were unable to get out of the group stage on either occasion with the USSR's 4-0 victory in Italia 90 coming after two straight defeats and Oleg Solenko's 5 goals not enough to allow Russia, 6-1 winners on the day, to pip a 4th best 3rd place spot in the group stages. Also worthy of a mention here... Germany won the 1954 world cup final against Hungary, despite having lost 8-3 to the same opponents in the group stages several days earlier.

I know that none of this counts cause he did ask about about club soccer. I think something like this happened in the Scottish first division like 15 years ago. I think Kilmarnock won their last game of the season 6-0 but still got relegated on goal difference because the team above them won 2-0 and thus had a better goal average of 1.

13. Colin Bell the King

Colin Bell the King New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Wythenshawe
    Man City got relegated in the 30's, even though we scored well over 80 goals. I'm pretty sure we had a game in which we scored 8 goals that season too.

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, that's right. I did ask about club soccer but the World Cup facts were still nice to know.

USSR/Russia did have that weird record. Before 1990, the Soviets had always went pass the group stage. In fairness to Russia in 1994 and the USSR in 1990, they didn't have a full strength team.

No. The most was seven. Man City won 6-1 against Derby County, 6-2 against Leeds United and 7-1 against West Bromwich Albion. Those results were at home. At Derby's home ground, City managed to win 7-1. http://www.rsssf.com/engpaul/FLA/1937-38.html

In the 1927-27 season, WBA won 6-2 against Aston Villa but they finished bottom. In the same season, Leeds United won 6-2 against West Ham United but finished second last

15. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun
    Just read Trautmann's biography - even with him in goal in the 1957/58 season Citeh became the first and only team to score and concede 100 goals in a season (101-100) - pretty stupendous stat.

16. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the 1975-76 Spanish season, Sporting de Gijón defeated Español 6-1 and they finished on the bottom of the ladder with a goal difference of minus five (nothing big for a relegated team). Gijón also had the Spanish League's leading goalscorer, Quini, who had scored 21 of Gijón's 41 goals.

In the 1961-62 season, Real Sociedad defeated Real Betis 6-0 and Sociedad finished second last.

In the 1966-67 season, Granada defeated Real Zaragoza 6-2 and the finished third last.

17. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Here's my favourite. Season 90/91 in the English Conference (fifth level), Sutton United won 9-0 away to Gateshead. Sutton were relegated that season, but Gateshead were not.

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A team scores that many goals and they sink to an even worse division. Unbelievable!

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp in Serie A 2005/6... Juventus got four goal victories vs. Empoli and Cagliari as well as a 4-1 win away to Roma. Lazio put 4 away twice against Ascoli and against Palmero and Fiorntina put 5 past Reggina but it looks like these three teams will all be playing in Serie B next year. :D

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    March 28th 1931, Reading beat Barnsley 6-1, and five days later beat Stoke 7-3, to give Reading real confidence that they could stay up in the Second division (in the days when Div 2 mean the second division down, not the fourth) for another season, if they could notch up a win or two in their remaining games. Sadly they didn't win another game in that division for over 55 years.

21. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    My own little team, Lorient, who played only two seasons in the 1st french division and got relegated both times, won 6-2 at home against Guingamp in the 2001/2002 season. They finished dead last that year.
    http://www.zanziball.com/en/9/21360.html

btw their third season in Ligue 1 will start in 15 days now... :)