Rehatching an old issue: The forgien player limit.

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Mel10, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    After season two, has anyones opinions changed? I feel more strongly now that there are so many more world class non-yanks on the up and up, that the forgien player limit should be abolished. But of course I am biased.

2. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    I guess the thousand dollar question is what is the purpose of the league...to develop our nations best or to have everyone's best. The other question bodes on attendance. Do local cities support foreigners as much as there own? Just thoughts to ponder.

3. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    The two thousand dollar question is do you want to watch half ass soccer, or world class soccer? Univeristy is for developing, and if you're GOOD ENOUGH (or have the potential) then you go to the WUSA. Thats' the way it should be.

4. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    I want to see Word Class Soccer!

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Eventually I would like to see the international player limit increased from four to at least five or perhaps even six. I would also like to see roster sizes expanded back up to 20, but for right now the WUSA has to keep salary expenses down as much as possible to help ensure that the league survives.

6. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    My mind frame is geared towards this: good soccer will draw the good fans.

7. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Out of curiosity, what is the rationale behind foreign player limits in the men's european leagues? I would say it is NOT money.

8. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The limit in the men's leagues in Europe is to protect the developing local player. IIRC, they do not have a specific quota. Instead, they have certain requirements, such as participation in the first squad of the national team of the player's home country.
    I can't speak for elsewhere, but Boston was loud and strong in their support of Dagny Mellgren and Maren Meinart, the two foreign players that produced for the team.

I'll let the Atlantans speak about the local support for the denizens of USA-North. ;)

As far as the topic of maintaining the limit, I'd be in favour of keeping it in place. This will help keep a very high standard of international players in the league and help develop the American players to a higher level.

9. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Why don't they call the League Womens American Soccer Association instead.

10. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I think foreigners provide the bulk of the classy players in the league, but I think the limit will actually go DOWN to 3 if anything - the reason being that more and more non-Americans don't count against the limit because of Green Cards, etc. Here in DC, we have three players who play for other NTs but don't count against the limit, a US Citizen born and raised here (Gerardo), a foreigner with US birthright (Jones), and a green card holder (Makinen). In Atlanta, I'm pretty sure Nonen is a Green Card holder and Hooper should have hers by the start of next season. There must be others as well. MLS cut its limit for similar reasons. (mind you , the league is required by law to count green-card holders as non-foreigners).

On the other hand - if increasing the limit ensures that players like Tracey Milburn are no longer in the league, I'm all for it.

11. UP90

UP90 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Georgia
    It may be that changing the foreign player limit won't make much difference in the actual makeup of most teams. Just because someone is a foreigner doesn't mean they're a better quality player. Assuming the WUSA is around for a while, the ratio of Americans to foreigners will go up and down.

12. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    Valid point that I never thought about.

Now I have to rethink my whle take on this.

:p