regarding CHOI

Discussion in 'Korea' started by casualfan, Aug 26, 2002.

1. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    ÃÖ

i was wondering is this pronounced CHWEE? if it is pronounced this way, how come in english it is spelled as CHOI?

2. AminKor02

AminKor02 New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    It's kind of pronounced CHWAY (with the "w" only slightly influencing the sound). And yeah, I've always wondered about that CHOI thing. Must be some archaic romanization system, maybe like why we used to call Beijing "Peking" for the longest time...

3. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Re: Re: regarding CHOI

I thought it would be something like this reason:

ÃÖ is a concocted letter made out of ¤º, ¤Ç, and ¤Ó.

the first one is "ch" of english. The second one would be the "o" in english and the third one is the "- i -" of english. So I think that's how they got to that point.

4. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: regarding CHOI

yeah it's like pronouncing Los Angeles as "laws anjeels."

Park should be Bock.
    Kim should be Ghim.
    Lee should be E.
    Hong should be Houng.
    Chung should be Jung.
    Song should be Soung.

5. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: regarding CHOI

I think

Park should be Bahk.
    Lee should be Ee
    Choi should be Chweh
    Cho should be Jo

6. Chachi King

Chachi King New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    you know what i hate is when foreigners say that Korean names look like onomotopoeias or say that it sounds like baby babble. But that's only because its spelled phonetically since korean isn't written in Roman. if English were spelled like Korean is romanized then Seattle would be See Ah Teol. Chicago would be Shi Ka Go. if you spelled anything phonetically it would look unsophisticated.

we can spell Korean un-phonetically too if we really wanted and make it look "sophisticated"

So Lee Chun-soo would become Yeagh Chionsieux.
    Choi Tae-wook would become Chuea Teayuke.
    Park Ji-sung would be Bache Jiessunge.

I know someone with the last name Ahn that spells it Aughne. People think she's Irish or something.

par lay voo frawn say?

7. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    >>how come in english it is spelled as CHOI?

even english words arent always written as it sounds.

well the reason sports commentators pronounce korean players names soooo weird is that, they try to say it too correctly word by word.

I just had to laugh when Bin Skully having difficulty pronouncing Kim Byong-Hyun's name every single time. (skully says Bai Yong Hai Yun Kim)

well its not only foreigners having problems with pronouncing korean names, words, many people with Southern Eastern korean dialect have lot of problems also.
    former president Kim Yong Sam had difficulty pronouncing Economic in Korean, Gyong Je.. he always says Gaeng Je.

8. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Re: regarding CHOI

I wouldn't go that far to say Lee should be E.
    Remember, many Lee people have actually last name that was supposed to be pronounced as "Lee" or "Rhee" if not used in front of other characters.

9. AminKor02

AminKor02 New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    I've considered hiring myself out to CNN or some other American news organization just to teach them how to pronounce Korean and Chinese words -- I cringe at what I hear sometimes.

10. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    when i was learning korean they had all these fricken spellings that was different from the way it was pronounced. anywayss why is it chweh? i understand that this ¤º is ch and when combined with ÃÊ becomes cho but when you add the ÀÌ, it makes it eee, thus would it not be CHWEE?

11. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Just like you said, O+I sounds Wee but they still use the spelling O,I

12. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    good point. In a sense, it's like French where they twist the spelling part a little bit so that it is easier to pronounce.

ch+ o + i ends up sounding like chweh like as in Ãé or ¬‚ simply it's hard to pronounce as it implys on paper.