Ref's native language creates unconscious bias

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by kolabear, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Yahoo:
    Wow. Anyone care to apply it to the controversial calls in this World Cup and see if it stacks up?!!

I may regret posting this because there seems something fishy about this.

Since the CR turns to face the action while following the Diagonal System of Control, he or she is nearly always viewing play in the penalty area with the defenders to his or her left and the attackers to the right. So, generally speaking, the bias (if there is one) is to the defenders.

So it isn't a matter of favoring one team over another based on which way they're going, it's a matter (at least near the penalty area) of favoring defense over the attack.

Depending on where the CR is positioned in the midfield, I suppose you could (according to this theory) look for bias in terms of teams going left to right vs right to left.

2. seadondo

seadondo Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Redondo Beach
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't attacking from right to left only a construct of the television feed, and the 4th official (I guess)?

3. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent point. (I edited my post with this kind of doubt while you were posting. See above)

4. Elizondo

Elizondo Member

Jul 6, 2009
    USA
  5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having skimmed and read the results, the statistical variation is only 3 percent that negligible.

6. LawFiveTarHeel

LawFiveTarHeel BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I may be in the minority on this - I seem to trail the play and view it from behind about as often as from the side, or so it seems to me. In any event an interesting read and thanks for the post.