RedStars @ Wash - 4/11/09 -- Game thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ciudadcentral, Apr 8, 2009.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we can't be sure unless someone on the field tells us, but I thought it was for a foul. The ref had called a foul and, if I recall correctly, was signaling for Ostberg to come over. It looked to me like the ref was having trouble for extracting the card from her pocket, which accounted for the delay. I know I thought right away the ref had decided to card her.

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had just the opposite impression, that something Ostberg said resulted in the yellow.

3. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The announcers on FSC should've mentioned that Chicago was playing a woman down but I never heard them say that at all. Usually they mention that regularly throughout the remainder of the game to make it clear one team is playing at a disadvantage.

4. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    If you're not going to believe anything we tell you, then why bother asking?

:confused:

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I wish the WPS website would give more complete video highlights of the games. I've heard over and over how dominant Jonsson was in goal. But one really needs to see the saves to appreciate it. Seriously, if they can show the goals, surely they can pick out a few highlight saves.

Could someone who watched the full match comment on her performance?

Also, do you think the Freedom's control of midfield possession was the result of Chicago not having any strong defensive midfield player? All the middies seem to be offensive minded, leaving the defense stranded. Maybe this is why Washington got so many shots and Jonsson was forced to come up big. Could Garriock fill such as role when she comes back?

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that at all. :)

As you know on a message board people just give their opinions but I've not seen a link or anything to back that up.

The reason I'm surprised is because she was interviewed during the World Cup and she wanted to be called Cris-ti-an so that would the correct pronounciation unless she has changed her mind since then.

7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    They did. I heard it several times, even though I regularly had the commentary muted for self-protection.

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They only said "now it's going to be harder" for Chicago when the incident happened but they didn't even mention it again that Chicago was a woman down. I had it recorded since I wasn't in so I know they didn't mention it again.

9. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Maybe you should specify in advance the exact words that are acceptable to you, so that people know if there's any point in replying? Because to me, even that version that you've just given is a reference to the fact that Chicago are playing at a disadvantage.

10. angel3

angel3 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    It was Ellen Weinberg who guessed that it was something Ostberg said that got her the 1st yellow. I am not sure that it was.
    The TV replay on the foul was late. All we saw was Ostberg turning, complaining to the center ref, behind her was Bompastor on her butts on the ground. The center ran up to the spot so I think it was a hard enough foul to warrant a yellow before any dissent. It lead to the DFK from Bompastor that Sauerbrunn headed in, btw.

The 2nd yellow was for a high forearm to the neck of De Vanna with the ball 3 yds in front.

On a side note, Weinberg was highly annoying, as much as she talked, a lot of which we didn't want to hear in the 1st place, she had to repeat many things twice. :(

11. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Hard foul. i wasn't sure either until i read the referee report yesterday.

12. angel3

angel3 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Thanks, it's good to have someone with inside info.

Since we are talking about the referees, I don't know if it will ever come up in discussion within the league's office regarding how the games are called.

My observation is: We want high scoring games to entertain and draw fans. If that is the case, we have call the games tighter, more fouls, more cards so the defenders stop hitting and hurting the offensive players.

Watch the offside calls, don't call them unless you know for sure. In the games so far, there were several calls that were made when the attackers made their runs behind the defense after the ball has been kicked. The AR were watching the last defender but they did not see or hear the ball struck.

13. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's him.

Peter if you read this and are going to be at the Fire game on saturday stop on by the red canopy tailgate for a Pabst.

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just saying all the other games I've seen they regularly state that one team is a man (or woman) down to update people who may just be tuning into the game.

This goes for USMNT and USWNT games, World Cup, Euro Cup, Asian Cup, and MLS. They just didn't mention it at all other than when it happened and never even actually said they were a woman down. We all know that a red card means you are kicked out but for someone tuning in who is not well versed in soccer they might not know what a red card means.

So simply saying you're at a disadvantage and never mentioning it again may have not been clear to a novice viewer or someone who tuned it late and didn't know someone had been sent off.

15. angel3

angel3 New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    I guess the broadcasting team could have mentioned that Chicaco was down a player a couple more times during the game.

I think there were more important issues though. Every time a player touched the ball, some stats about that player were thrown out.
    The TV viewers can only see what the cameras show us. We can not see the whole field, we can not see the offensive runs off the ball , we can not see the spacing, how the defense play away from the ball, how they mark people ... there might be things that happen in the stand that might be interesting even ... Those are the things that a color commentator should focus on, not a bunch of stats.

Some of the stats were inappropriate for the occasion even. I think Wambach was proclaimed to be an efficient player. I know it was meant to say the rate of goals she scored in her career. Unfortunately, it was mentioned after Wambach botched several sitters in the box, for the 2nd game in a row.
    How about the high praise for Carli Loyd, who did absolutely nothing in the game? ...

Some stats are nice but once the broadcast is reduced to reciting stats, it begs the viewers to turn the volume down.

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    But was the goalie 5'9 or 5'10? How can we live without knowing this?! Or are you referring to things like the Wikipedia "Yes, she played five matches per season for two years, all of them in different coloured shoes from Puma, with a nosebleed rate of 0.2, which was slightly higher than her teammates, who had an average of 0.15. However, since 15.4% of the teammates' mothers were called Jennifer, figures were considered to be within the standard deviation."

And the day a match commentary is devoted to step by step beginners' football rules over the top of actual play is the day I definitely mute.